Volleyball RPI thru 11/24

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We're in! Going to Minneapolis.
I have not seen the final RPI rankings yet but I am shocked they got in. They may have cut some slack for Holthaus' injury against KU and its impact on the outcome. Will need to see if they disclose a Last 4 In like they do for BB. Have to think we were in that group.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have not seen the final RPI rankings yet but I am shocked they got in. They may have cut some slack for Holthaus' injury against KU and its impact on the outcome. Will need to see if they disclose a Last 4 In like they do for BB. Have to think we were in that group.
As I noted earlier, Rich Kern had us at #46 today - well above the "perceived" RPI cut. Just a question of how much they valued our schedule and good wins.
Cal really got screwed though. Don't see how they didn't make it - by any measure.
And the question: who will be our starting setter??

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Here are the last four in, and we're not one of them.
IMG_20191201_202148.jpg

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Looking at the match-ups I would guess we were the 5th or 6th last at-large (Creighton being the 20th or 21st team).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Shocked they are in but pleased they are here in Mpls. Rematch of 2009, same opponent, same venue. Will have to pop across town to watch.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Reading other posts from people on the volleyball boards and twitter (people that follow volleyball more than me) thought Iowa State would be in all along... Having Baylor and Texas be in the top 4 actually helped Iowa State in regards that they wouldn't be the top teams with so many wins giving Iowa State (and Oklahoma) four of their losses. It was also stated that the loss to Kansas would not hurt as much with Holthaus having her injury, it was being compared to Plummer being injured and out with Stanford in their loss to UCLA (although not as closely I believe).
Creighton will be tough ~ but nice to know that we beat them pre-season in a scrimmage but I don't know the details of that match to compare it now. Hope Holthaus will be ready by Friday though!
Nice to be back in the Tourney this year!!!! Go Cyclones!!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Here are the last four in, and we're not one of them.
View attachment 68959
ISU finished #46 in the RPI: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi

Last 4 in RPI: Illinois - 50, VCU - 47, Washington St - 49, Wright St - 41

Teams above ISU in RPI that didn't get in: Green Bay - 45, South Dakota - 38

ISU swept South Dakota in Ames. South Dakota finished 27-2 and 16-0 in the Summit but lost to #4 seed Omaha 3-1 in the Summit tourney. They are the rare team that finished in the 30s for RPI but didn't get an at-large bid.

ISU finished 16-13 and 9-7 last season and missed out. They finished 17-11 and 8-8 this season.

• Informative
Reactions: SMP05

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Great that we got in.

Tough matchup with Creighton and then potentially a really tough matchup with Minnesota in round #2.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wasn't online last night after the selection show, but color me shocked that ISU made it into the tournament! Of course, round one is on a day when I cannot drive up to Minneapolis for the match against Creighton. Ugh. Happy for the girls that they get to prepare for at least one more opponent. :)