Volleyball IQ

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Due to my locale I do not have the opportunity to attend many VB matches in Ames. I did take in Saturday's amtch and I watch as many as I can on the intraweb. With the upcoming torney matches in Hilton, I wonder about a few of our crowd traditions.

1. Chanting "I-S-U" during ISU's receive-set-spike (Team seems to do better when the crowd does not do it)

2. Yelling during Mahoney's serve. (Almost in her face on Saturday night)

I have bounced this off of a few ex-collegiate players and they all agreed that that does not make sense to them. Maybe our squad likes it but after watching the game against NU in Hilton I can't help but wonder if we are putting more pressure on the home team. Just curious if there has been any coordination with Coach and what a few of our more knowledgeable fans think.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't really care for the I-S-U thing either. Seems rather sporadic most of the time. At the same time - I'm glad the students are in to the game enough to do it.

But the "boom" they do during Mahoney's serve - I kind of like. No real reason, and I don't think it adds or detracts. She's good enough, I really doubt it bothers/helps her.

BTW - anyone catch in the 3rd set where she tossed the ball way too far into the court? Stretched that frame about as far as she could to reach it without a foot-fault. Got a good serve off all the same.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't really care for the I-S-U thing either. Seems rather sporadic most of the time. At the same time - I'm glad the students are in to the game enough to do it.

But the "boom" they do during Mahoney's serve - I kind of like. No real reason, and I don't think it adds or detracts. She's good enough, I really doubt it bothers/helps her.

BTW - anyone catch in the 3rd set where she tossed the ball way too far into the court? Stretched that frame about as far as she could to reach it without a foot-fault. Got a good serve off all the same.

i did see that.. she kind of had that oops smile and just did what she always does

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006

Like MJ from the free throw line. I did not think she would make it to the ball. Also not positive it was not a foot fault.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The boom is awesome, i dont know what you're talking about. I-S-U is a sporadic thing really i dont do it always, but its fun sometimes. I dont really notice us playing better when doing it vs. not doing it.

Reactions: clones_jer

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The I-S-U chant was sporadic at the last game because the entire student body was still out of town. I scanned the 100-level bleachers and didn't see a single student-looking-person, so I have to assume that the 20-some students in the courtside chairs were the only ones there. As far as I can tell, students are the only ones that yell I-S-U, and not even all of the 'hardcore' ones do it. So yes, the chanting would have sounded quite weak.

I like it- everyone around here is CONSTANTLY complaining that our fans don't have any unique chants or actions, only stuff from other schools. Well here's your original chant. To my knowledge, nobody else does something like this.

Also, major props to the two Puerto Rican students heckling the Oklahoma libero (who is from Puerto Rico) in Spanish for the entire third game. That was hilarious.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
The boom is awesome, i dont know what you're talking about. I-S-U is a sporadic thing really i dont do it always, but its fun sometimes. I dont really notice us playing better when doing it vs. not doing it.

Well, it might be fun to cheer while the FB team is calling signals on offense or our basketball team is shooting free throws but does it make sense?

I really don't know that is why I asked some ex-players (non-ISU). Let's just say they were baffled by it.

Just curious if there was any coordination with the VB staff or just something some fans thought was "awesome". Probably not an issue but I was curious.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Well, it might be fun to cheer while the FB team is calling signals on offense or our basketball team is shooting free throws but does it make sense?

I really don't know that is why I asked some ex-players (non-ISU). Let's just say they were baffled by it.

Just curious if there was any coordination with the VB staff or just something some fans thought was "awesome". Probably not an issue but I was curious.
This volleyball staff doesn't seem to shy away from communicating with students directly when they need to, so I think they'd send someone over to say it's a problem if they thought it was a problem.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
This volleyball staff doesn't seem to shy away from communicating with students directly when they need to, so I think they'd send someone over to say it's a problem if they thought it was a problem.

If they have no problem with it then I do not either.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm pretty sure if they had a problem with it, they would have told us to stop, or not allowed the cy'd out to print those sheets with some cheers to do. Also if they didn't like I'm sure I would have heard about it. The boom chant was started by me and my buddies. Oh and that was jorge heckling maria, hes my buddy and the oklahoma libero went to his rival school in PR. Just cause thats the opinion of EX-players doesnt mean TODAY's players dont enjoy it. They've said the opposite exactly and love the fact they have more fans. Some people just want to ruin fun, and the fact that was you're first game skews you're opinion.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I'm pretty sure if they had a problem with it, they would have told us to stop, or not allowed the cy'd out to print those sheets with some cheers to do. Also if they didn't like I'm sure I would have heard about it. The boom chant was started by me and my buddies. Oh and that was jorge heckling maria, hes my buddy and the oklahoma libero went to his rival school in PR. Just cause thats the opinion of EX-players doesnt mean TODAY's players dont enjoy it. They've said the opposite exactly and love the fact they have more fans. Some people just want to ruin fun, and the fact that was you're first game skews you're opinion.

+1

The crowd for Nebraska was big but uneducated in ISU Volleyball 101. When u get the right people close to the court who know volleyball, and know the team well enough, the crowd can have a huge affect on the outcome of the game. The Texas game is the biggest example of this.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

See you Friday night? Bring your loudest voice and your heckling A-game. :yes:

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Some people just want to ruin fun, and the fact that was you're first game skews you're opinion.

Neither portions of this statement are true. It is something that I found odd all season.

Again, if the players and coaches are cool with it so am I. They were legitimate questions confirmed by people who have played the game. Please extend my apologies to your buddy Sinjin Smith.

I am all for heckling and distracting the opposition and I think the students do a great job in that regard. I just don't want our own players distracted. Entering the first two rounds as a favorite on their home court in a packed house is something our team has not had to deal with.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Due to my locale I do not have the opportunity to attend many VB matches in Ames. I did take in Saturday's amtch and I watch as many as I can on the intraweb. With the upcoming torney matches in Hilton, I wonder about a few of our crowd traditions.

1. Chanting "I-S-U" during ISU's receive-set-spike (Team seems to do better when the crowd does not do it)

2. Yelling during Mahoney's serve. (Almost in her face on Saturday night)

I have bounced this off of a few ex-collegiate players and they all agreed that that does not make sense to them. Maybe our squad likes it but after watching the game against NU in Hilton I can't help but wonder if we are putting more pressure on the home team. Just curious if there has been any coordination with Coach and what a few of our more knowledgeable fans think.

The first time I heard it I found it really annoying. Certainly fan support is appreciated, but the "I-S-U" seems really odd to me. I didn't play at that level (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night), but I've played for a long time and its very weird. I'd probably find it a little distracting, but could get used to it. Just typical cheering is more than enough.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The I-S-U chant was sporadic at the last game because the entire student body was still out of town. I scanned the 100-level bleachers and didn't see a single student-looking-person, so I have to assume that the 20-some students in the courtside chairs were the only ones there. As far as I can tell, students are the only ones that yell I-S-U, and not even all of the 'hardcore' ones do it. So yes, the chanting would have sounded quite weak.

I like it- everyone around here is CONSTANTLY complaining that our fans don't have any unique chants or actions, only stuff from other schools. Well here's your original chant. To my knowledge, nobody else does something like this.

Also, major props to the two Puerto Rican students heckling the Oklahoma libero (who is from Puerto Rico) in Spanish for the entire third game. That was hilarious.

And complaining about our rhythm. The ISU thing has both. I think it could be a real noise-maker when we're attacking, and maybe just a shade distracting for the opponent.

I admit it right now. I don't know much about volleyball, but that makes sense to me. It creates a fun atmosphere, too, and it's easy to get people in to.

TrueAndValiant

Sep 7, 2009
I know that marketing enjoys and encourages both of those cheers, among others. Maybe volleyball players aren't as used to the large crowds and cheering that our team receives, but just like basketball and football, I think it adds to our home court advantage, not takes it away.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I think it was that Nebraska game that overwhelmed the team, but they showed they can still manage large crowds with the Texas game, it's just something you have to get use to and keep focused.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron