Voices from Memphis: Bowl Game Edition

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
my friend Llew who is barely a causel ISU fan (just came to party), saw a handful of tulsa fans and screamed GO TULSA! dude came over to give her a high five and she denied him and said "i'm sorry, i'm not and actual tulsa fan, i just happened to be wearing a blue rain jacket" he lowered his head and sheepishly walked away. total **** move, but i did laugh out loud.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Guy behind me with his wife who was apparently new to the game of football because he had to explain every little thing to her. Every time Tulsa would line up to kick a FG or PAT, she would chant "BLOCK THAT PUNT" as loud as she could. He also had an interesting explanation for her when Tulsa kicked off out of bounds. He told her it was a penalty because the kicker stepped past the ball before he kicked it. That was one of his nuggets of wisdom during the game.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
First of all, the people of Memphis were wonderful. When we were crammed in The Commissary waiting for a table, squeezed in with the steady stream of locals just getting take out, lady next to me said, "Darlin', you in Memphis and you see a BBQ joint without a crowd, you just keep drivin'." Enjoyed Kenny, our waiter, who called everyone, including my gray-haired husband, "young man." There was a couple with three adorable little girls going at the largest pile of BBQ nachos I have ever seen at The Commissary. They start them young on BBQ there.

Priest at the Catholic church downtown asked if there were any Cyclone fans and about half the congregation raised their hands. Asked if there were any Tulsa fans, nope. He then asked if anyone had seen any Tulsa fans around town because he had not.

While we outnumbered Tulsa fans at our hotel about 12:1, they were at breakfast in full force the day after the game, at least six of them. They were all elderly. Old lady wearing Tulsa Liberty Bowl championship t-shirt said, "At least if you had to drive this far, you got to see one good team." What few fans they had seemed to be jerks. One tried to run off with my kids' football and when he wouldn't give it back they just tackled him and took it back. He was their only fan under the age of 70 that I saw.

Drunk girl in student section got in my son's face and kept mumbling that he was a ginger and was that his real hair?

Obnoxious "Cyclone?" fans behind us kept wondering how the Hawks were doing against Indiana and were clearly rooting for Iowa. Were same ones yelling that they didn't drive all of the way to Memphis to watch us lose, which was exactly why I thought they went to Memphis when they were so concerned about the Hawkeye basketball team.

I had an aisle seat and had four Cyclone fans fall down the steps on top of me. Don't know if they were that drunk or it was the strange stadium steps, which were not the same height from step to step.

And it wouldn't be an Cyclone game without the obligatory "Put in Tiller" yell. He was actually in a receiver slot at the time. Wonder if Cyclone fans will still be yelling that when he's gone?

Drunk girl at the Peabody thought one of my sons was Jeff Woody and wanted a picture and an autograph.

Drunk girl at pep rally pushed a little kid to the ground trying to get to the front and said, "Sorry, I have to get to the front, I have friends there." Since we could hear absolutely nothing with those awful speakers, our section of the crowd just started randomly yelling and cheering when we felt like it.

Old lady Cyclone fan behind me at the pep rally was crushing on Josh the drum major.:twitcy:

Me at halftime Temptations show: "Are the queens the most lame part of this?" My husband: "I think it's the middle aged women in khakis supposedly dancing in the end zone."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
After we got charged the timeout after the injury timeout, a lady behind me would yell about charging them with a timeout every time there was an injury timeout for Tulsa for the rest of the game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It was even better on TV. When kicking a FG/Extra point toward the side with the scoreboard, it was left side: Sea of Cardinal...right side: hey, nice bleachers!

Although...kinda ruined it that none of those shots were from our field goals or extra points.

Interestingly, if we are talking about the same seats (roughly comparable to the AA section of our endzone bleachers), I think they were saved for families of players. The first 1/4 of the section had families. Then, the second 1/4 was empty. The top half was filled with others. I almost moved there right before the start of the game. Apparently, others did later.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought Memphis was a great town, but they weren't really ready for us. Surprised that word didn't get out about what it meant for us to bring 25k. For instance, the Liberty Bowl vendors had only a handful of pins and had to make more knit caps (which are much more appealing in the cold than baseball caps).

I wonder what they are going to do with the thousands of "Iowa State Liberty Bowl Champions" shirts that they made the night before.

There were a few other local "fails." For instance, the National Civil Rights Museum should have had something to acknowledge our respect for Jack Trice (or our AD should have given them something). When I talked to staff about him and pulled up websites about him, they were really impressed that we were that progressive to have him on our team as a leader in the early 1920s and that we even named our stadium after him.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I thought Memphis was a great town, but they weren't really ready for us. Surprised that word didn't get out about what it meant for us to bring 25k. For instance, the Liberty Bowl vendors had only a handful of pins and had to make more knit caps (which are much more appealing in the cold than baseball caps).

I wonder what they are going to do with the thousands of "Iowa State Liberty Bowl Champions" shirts that they made the night before.

There were a few other local "fails." For instance, the National Civil Rights Museum should have had something to acknowledge our respect for Jack Trice (or our AD should have given them something). When I talked to staff about him and pulled up websites about him, they were really impressed that we were that progressive to have him on our team as a leader in the early 1920s and that we even named our stadium after him.

Good show to mention Jack Trice!

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I walked past one of the t-shirt vendors on the way out, who had a bunch of "Tulsa Liberty Bowl Champion" shirts and nobody who was buying them, and as I passed he said "Damn, I wish y'all woulda won, I'd already be sold out by now!"

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Very great idea. Thanks for mentioning it to them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron