Vistor sections at SOE

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
People must have thin skin if they can't go to an opposing teams stadium to watch a game. I have wore my gear in some hostile environments and always get ribbed on and sometimes have been cussed at. I just brush it off as part of the experience. Have never let it affect how I watch the game or how much fun I have. I kind of expect it to happen actually.

Funny thing is that I've attended several non cy hawk games at historic and can confirm that Iowa fans are just flat out *** holes. You treat visiting fans like dirt. Outside of Nebraska or Iowa I can't say that I've seen that type of behavior in Ames.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
People must have thin skin if they can't go to an opposing teams stadium to watch a game. I have wore my gear in some hostile environments and always get ribbed on and sometimes have been cussed at. I just brush it off as part of the experience. Have never let it affect how I watch the game or how much fun I have. I kind of expect it to happen actually.

I always were ISU gear when in Iowa City. My wife and I are ISU grads and live in Ames. Our daughter ended up going to SOE, mainly because she just wanted to experience life outside of Ames. If anyone ever gives me crap about ISU, I just retort back to them about the pain it was for us to have to write those checks out to The University of Iowa and people get a chuckle out of it.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
I think the point you're missing is that it would be no big deal if it was just limited to some good-natured ribbing or even light profanities. I have been to plenty of other opposing venues in all kinds of sports at all levels and been able to "endure" the hostile environment with my "thin skin".

What we're talking about is a whole other level of vulgarity and hostility (bordering on assault at times with objects being thrown) around that ****hole called Kinnick. If you can't enjoy the experience and not fear for your kids' safety, then why bother going?

Oh FFS, give me a break.

Reactions: ThriceHawk

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
I’ve been to IC once and was treated horribly, won’t be back.

It is too bad. It seems the Iowa-ISU game brings out the worst in both sides. Have been to almost all the Big 10 stadiums and Ames and only time I've felt remotely threatened was after the 2005 ISU win walking out and surrounded by a group of college students yelling obscenities and threatening to "f me up." Okay. I've seen the same and worse toward ISU fans in Iowa City.

Have been to Ames many times for Iowa-ISU games and vast majority of ISU fans I come across are great.

I'm sure this year in IC will have some ugly incidents.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It is too bad. It seems the Iowa-ISU game brings out the worst in both sides. Have been to almost all the Big 10 stadiums and Ames and only time I've felt remotely threatened was after the 2005 ISU win walking out and surrounded by a group of college students yelling obscenities and threatening to "f me up." Okay. I've seen the same and worse toward ISU fans in Iowa City.

Have been to Ames many times for Iowa-ISU games and vast majority of ISU fans I come across are great.

I'm sure this year in IC will have some ugly incidents.

I can deal with the profanity and name calling, whoop tee do. I don’t care for the beer throwing, flicking cigarette butts and other crap at people, and no this wasn’t college kids. Even get 80 year olds that throw curses at you (although I do enjoy that for comic gold). I’m not taking my kids there so they can get drenched in alcohol.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I’ve seen Iowa State fans shout obscenities at a 12 year old for wearing an Iowa shirt to an Iowa State-UNI game. It goes both ways.

Yep, Same can be said for Iowa fans. I wen to a game at Kinnick long before I really cared about football for a school event. One of the girls in our group who was all of 13 wore an ISU shirt I guess. I remember her being ridiculed the entire walk to the stadium by a bunch of drunk ********. Our teach had to intervene more than once. It was honestly kind of scary at that age.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's the old Iowa fans that are the worst actually. The college aged Iowa fans only did one thing that I thought was totally out of line, but the old guys, whew.

That said, I never had any interactions like I have with the Alabama fans after that Independence bowl. That's a level of behavior I couldn't even imagine.

Agree that the old folks can be the worst.

Another issue with kinnick is the parking. If you park in someone’s yard you can end up three deep and have to wait for some people who are tailgating elsewhere to show up to get out. Can’t even get away from it if you want anger to.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I know that **** happens everywhere, including Ames. I can honestly say I probably will never go back there for an ISU game. My Dad still lives there and volunteers for his church in the concession stands for some games. My brother and I used to go to that game with him, but the last two times we went were bad experiences. (It's probably been 10 years or more since we did this.) But both times we had things thrown from passing vehicles. It's just not worth it.

The only other place I've had bad experiences is in Manhattan for both FB and BB. I'm not one to talk, yell, or anything outside the game. All of these were unprovoked in both cities.

I'm thinking I might take Dad to a game that doesn't involve ISU, just to spend time with him watching his Hawks. But probably never again for ISU, which really sucks as I have many friends and family over there.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
This is the new SOE N end zone 10 days ago. It was a concrete shell then.

An eff ton of work needed to get ready for a week from tomorrow.

BTW, doesn't that water tower stand out!! What a joke.

upload_2018-8-17_13-31-37.jpeg

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

View attachment 57193

shut-ups.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

View attachment 57193
From that angle, it looks like a giant CBS "eye" logo. Do they have a contract with CBS?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I always were ISU gear when in Iowa City. My wife and I are ISU grads and live in Ames. Our daughter ended up going to SOE, mainly because she just wanted to experience life outside of Ames. If anyone ever gives me crap about ISU, I just retort back to them about the pain it was for us to have to write those checks out to The University of Iowa and people get a chuckle out of it.

Similar. I have a daughter graduating from Carver School of Medicine in December. When I tell the Hokroaches about her, I usually add some comment about being glad she has a good understanding of how inoculations work. Most don't get it, which makes it even more fun.

• Funny
Reactions: Ry4Cy and crs8975

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Similar. I have a daughter graduating from Carver School of Medicine in December. When I tell the Hokroaches about her, I usually add some comment about being glad she has a good understanding of how inoculations work. Most don't get it, which makes it even more fun.
Tom-Hanks-orly.gif

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Ive been to 5 ISU v UI games at kinnick and have never had an issue Even sat in UI student section. Ive also been to 2 non ISU games there, not wearing ISU gear, no issues.

I guess the typical rivalry stuff, cussing and bad jokes but I guess it didnt stand out to me. Try going to a Yankee v Red sox game in Boston while wearing Yankee gear. Thats a whole different level of abuse.

BTW..... **** Iowa

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You can definitely find areas around the stadium that are drunken, angry, and not safe. Some of those are students at house parties as you walk up, and some are "grown ups" in the official parking lots. Not a lot, but enough that it is a real concern. Obviously, that is not the majority.

I have never seen anything like that around JTS, although I am sure stupid stuff happens in the student lots sometimes.

But I will confirm it isn't just students. I was at the Seneca game, and was totally restrained, not obnoxious, as I am a quiet guy anyway. And I was with 3 Hawk fan friends. But I got beer dumped on my by a 50-something woman in the row behind me. Twice. And got shoved and "bumped" in the back of the head a couple times by the old guy with her. This was in a decently high-level donor section probably on about the 40 yard line. Turned around to see wtf was going on and they acted like they didn't know what happened. Nice.

So yeah, HARD NO on ever going back into that place again. I will go and tailgate with friends however - in a church parking lot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron