Vinyl Album Collectors?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Anyone collect Vinyl LPs, 45s, etc? Gotta love it!

What's your favorite album/single you own?

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
AC/DC's High Voltage. Their first album and it was released in Australia only.

Going to their concert on Saturday.:jiggy:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Al Jolson Hits the Big Time.:wink:

Actually, my favorite in my collection is Best of the Animals

Last edited:

cydonn

Apr 11, 2006
Nazz Nazz by the Nazz. Second album from one of Todd Rundgren's first bands. Printed on red vinyl. First record I bought.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I think my favorite album I own is Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Honestly I haven't looked at my collection in a while, but I know I've got some early Zeppelin (I, II, III), Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, and other classic rock.

Prince Purple Rain is another good one in the collection.

Then for some reason I also have Huey Lewis and the News in there.

Now I'm curious what I have....will have to revisit them this weekend.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I collect new vinyl, but the stuff I like is going out of style fast. Lots of stores have closed in the past few years.

This blog about new trendy realeases is run from some guys in Sioux City, IA:
OMG Vinyl ...Because Records Sound Better

Odd..yeah must be a geographic thing. Here in Chicago and I believe at least in DC, vinyl sales are up almost 100% in the last few years!

I'm not sure why in certain places there's a resurgence..maybe people realize now that digital isn't always better :D

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think my favorite album I own is Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Honestly I haven't looked at my collection in a while, but I know I've got some early Zeppelin (I, II, III), Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, and other classic rock.

Prince Purple Rain is another good one in the collection.

Then for some reason I also have Huey Lewis and the News in there.

Now I'm curious what I have....will have to revisit them this weekend.

Does this mean you have the original LZ III with picture wheel and Sticky Fingers with working zipper? If so that is very cool.

the two favorites that i own are Abby Road and Dark Side of the Moon(with original poster)

Sweet, I used to have the poster but it was given to me and was in horrible shape. I have a pristine (not in celophane though) Sgt Pepper that includes all the paper doll stuff but my favorite record is my Pink Floyd Meddle (British release) just because thats my favorite record and probably the coolest album cover ever.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Vinyl rocks. Love it.

Anything Zeppelin, Stones, Who or Beatles is great. Oh and Floyd rocks too. Get collecting.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Vinyl has the best sound. Pink Floyd The Wall or strangely, Frampton Comes Alive. I used to remember going to a record store in West Des Moines, Music Factory, I believe, and looking throught the albums. Those were great times. You could ask the clerks and they knew all of the new music or could recommend something for you. Not like going to buy a CD now. A lot of those places always had a back room where you could buy your 'smoking devices'. And you cna't clean the hippie lettuce on a CD case.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
the two favorites that i own are Abby Road and Dark Side of the Moon(with original poster)

Funny you mention those. I found each one at some old guy's garage sale a few years ago for a quarter a piece in pretty spectacular shape. My other valuable ones are probably some a few of the Zeppelin albums and Stones albums.

For the ones that I mostly listen to are a double live of Seger, Journey Escape, CCR album, Skynyrd Gold, and surprisingly The Big Chill soundtrack.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
Vinyl has the best sound. Pink Floyd The Wall or strangely, Frampton Comes Alive. I used to remember going to a record store in West Des Moines, Music Factory, I believe, and looking throught the albums. Those were great times. You could ask the clerks and they knew all of the new music or could recommend something for you. Not like going to buy a CD now. A lot of those places always had a back room where you could buy your 'smoking devices'. And you cna't clean the hippie lettuce on a CD case.

Wanna bet?

In any case (lol), I have a few cool ones...not super valuable, but cool nonetheless...

Metallica Glow-In-The-Dark Fade To Black 12"
Danzig Black Aria II Picture Disc
http://www.catacombscds.com/images/danzig/danzig_black_aria_2_picture_disc.jpg
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space Pill Pack

I know there are more at home.....I forget what all is in there...a BUNCH of signed stuff and promo peices...

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I've got a Hall and Oates limited edition Canada Dry boxed set from 1982. My dad worked for a bottling company and he gave me a bunch of tickets and shirts that I gave out at school but I kept the albums. I can't ever find them on the web so it's hard to say what they are worth. I also have a british edition of Iron Maiden Aces High that sells for about 100 on ebay. Other than that my most prized album is Styx Paradise Theater with the lithogram on it.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

Record stores are awesome. Here in Chicago there's this place called Reckless Records, which there's 3 locations of. The main location in Lakeview has THOUSANDS of records for sale in there, THOUSANDS of CDs, tonns of DVDs/Blu Ray/VHS, some laserdiscs, 78s, loads of 45s, etc etc. It's almost literally heaven. The people who work there though, given the neighborhood, are all indie kids mostly with weird musical tastes who barely know anything about the history of music. I know a LOT about music, but it's sad I know more than someone who works 40 hours/week at a record store. No secret back room either :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I just picked up two of PETER GREEN'S Fleetwood Mac on LP...the original FM, not the poppy Stevie Nicks stuff. The guy was just looking at my LPs like 'wtf is this? Why does Fleetwood Mac have a weird album cover?"

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Yardbirds - Live Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page. The album was pulled out of stores by Epic almost immediately after its release.

An original copy of The Doors L.A. Woman and a couple of Animals albums I bought a garage sale. The elderly couple was asking 50 cents apiece.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yardbirds - Live Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page. The album was pulled out of stores by Epic almost immediately after its release.

An original copy of The Doors L.A. Woman and a couple of Animals albums I bought a garage sale. The elderly couple was asking 50 cents apiece.

Wow, very nice...so can you get an issue of that Yardbirds in any form anymore?

and 50 cents? ha, don't you love when you get steals? I have a few albums I picked up from the store where even the store didn't know what they had, but they were rare albums. I got one album for $10 that sells for about $80 in the condition on most sites..

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
This is weird. I inherited my uncles collection and just yesterday got a turntable and actually started listening to them. My favorite so far is Hotel California with a poster of The Eagles inside the jacket, but have barely listened to more than an hours worth of the whole collection.

I'm gonna start picking up vinyl now.