VIDEO: Campbell's opening statement following 28-14 win over Baylor

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Randy just hit a whole new level of dumb...

Come now. We all know that the officers involved should have taken a moment to unbuckle their gun belts before going onto the field. I’m sure they could have made a neat little pile, and asked a student manager to watch them carefully

After all, it would have been unreasonable to expect them to return to the locker room, disarm themselves, place their firearms into gun safes, lock the gun safes into lockers, then return to the field. You simply don’t have time for that in a crisis.

*Do I really need a freaking jimlad here? Seriously?!!

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I guess i'm in the minority here.
  • Butler pinning down the Baylor player was uncalled for. Turn the tables and our fan base would be supporting the retaliation that ensued.
  • Montgomery should have put his hands up and walked away when the Baylor player slapped his helmet. That said, it was a heat-of-the-moment reaction on DM's part and these things happen.
  • I was actually impressed with Rhule. He was calm and cool during the game. Didn't blow his top. His comments during the presser seemed fine. Maybe he has a thug life history???? I know nothing about him, but i actually like the guy based on what i saw yesterday.
  • The water cooler incident: I haven't seen a replay but during the game i thought it looked like DM was MAYBE pulling the Baylor player along with him. ISU was lucky to get out of that situation without a penalty.
My opinion is that both teams were to blame. I'm just not seeing this through the cardinal glasses that others here seem to be wearing.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
  • Butler pinning down the Baylor player was uncalled for. Turn the tables and our fan base would be supporting the retaliation that ensued.
  • Montgomery should have put his hands up and walked away when the Baylor player slapped his helmet. That said, it was a heat-of-the-moment reaction on DM's part and these things happen.
  • I was actually impressed with Rhule. He was calm and cool during the game. Didn't blow his top. His comments during the presser seemed fine. Maybe he has a thug life history???? I know nothing about him, but i actually like the guy based on what i saw yesterday.
  • The water cooler incident: I haven't seen a replay but during the game i thought it looked like DM was MAYBE pulling the Baylor player along with him. ISU was lucky to get out of that situation without a penalty.
My opinion is that both teams were to blame. I'm just not seeing this through the cardinal glasses that others here seem to be wearing.
You are wrong on every account.

• Butler didn’t pin the Baylor player. Butler was held down.
  • Montgomery had to defend himself. The officials failed to protect t him from being assaulted multiple times. If the officials can’t protect him he has every right to defend himself.
  • Rhule bitched and complained about Brewer being ejected. Like usuall the other team just didn’t play well
  • WTF!!

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
giphy.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
  • 1.Butler pinning down the Baylor player was uncalled for. Turn the tables and our fan base would be supporting the retaliation that ensued.
  • 2. I was actually impressed with Rhule. He was calm and cool during the game. Didn't blow his top. His comments during the presser seemed fine. Maybe he has a thug life history???? I know nothing about him, but i actually like the guy based on what i saw yesterday.
  • 3. The water cooler incident: I haven't seen a replay but during the game i thought it looked like DM was MAYBE pulling the Baylor player along with him. ISU was lucky to get out of that situation without a penalty.

1. So getting pulled down by the Baylor player was on him too? And to my knowledge there's nothing illegal with a player holding someone down with their hands on the shoulder pads after a pancake block, which is what Butler did before trying to get up and the Baylor player hooking his elbows around.

2. He was absolutely not calm and took no responsibility for his players ganging up on a defenseless player, and was flipping out during the game. WTF are you watching?

3. DM looks like he has his hand still on the Baylor player, but the Baylor player is still absolutely using force to continue to push DM deep into the sidelines. DM actually looks like he takes a swipe while on the ground there and was lucky to not get penalized. His 2nd part deserves something and I don't think anyone's disputing that.

The refs should have stopped play right at the gatorade table and warned of ejections for any further action from either team. They should be reprimanded for their inaction.

That's a bunch of bull****.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It was very last chance u like that's for sure. Also at some point in the telecast they were talking to rhule about how they tried to hit DM alot and hard and wear him down. To me it almost seemed like intentionally hurting the star players is how they want to win. After the fight it seemed like our Defense was afraid to hit anyone especially Brewer when he was running not knowing when he was going to slide of if he was going to

Our defense struggled to hit Brewer all game long. On plays where we’ve all season long wrapped up and brought the quarterback down, somehow he’d slip out of it every single time.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and brycy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Why are we surprised Baylor does not want to take responsibility over a bad situation?

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
JFC

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
And here is the other way to handle this. Speculating, enabling, at times exaggerating to the point of lying. If anything happens to Hakeem because of this BS...

That's really irresponsible to say Butler was choking him without having seen anything. What's with the other coaches being giant douchebags after our games this season?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Why would Montgomery pull the Baylor guy along with him and run right into the Gatorade table? Doesn't make sense.

Both teams aren't to blame. One team has a history of players getting ejected for extracurricular activities and another doesn't. Love Campbell's response about Montgomery being a leader and it was hard to believe he (meaning Montgomery) would start something.

I am sure Rhule riled up his players at halftime.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

Obvious troll is obvious.

Beyond riding DM into the table on the sidelines, the entire Baylor defense was intermingled off the field in the ISU bench area, should have been an additional fowl for that; 31's ridiculous and taunting right in front of the officials warranted an additional penalty. The referees failure to control things at that point led to the rest.

Butler retaliated after the Baylor player would not let him up. Not proper but understandable. When Baylor erupted, DM was clearly targeted.

Nothing about Rhule's behavior or statements were likeable. He entirely failed to control his team, probably encouraged the behavior trying to target DM, and blamed everyone else but himself and his team for the incidents. My poor innocent player was choked, maybe my 52 might have hit someone. (yeah like DM and the official.) As CW said, I've never seen anything like that.

His quarterback obviously isn't very intelligent to act like he did when the entire field should have known any unsportsmanlike thing was going to be penalized. Not even sure what he was in the officials face about. Both teams were given an unsportsmanlike penalty for the previous incidents so his ejection was warranted and part of the rules.

I'll bet we don't see apologies for behavior from any Baylor player. DM apologized for not turning the other cheek and hurting his team.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1 and STLISU

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Yeah. Campbell handled it like a pro. Rhule looks bad in comparison. Thankful for Campbell's professionalism in times like these. I remember liking rhoads for doing what he did but in hindsight it wasn't helpful for the program long term.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

**** this guy.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
You are wrong on every account.

• Butler didn’t pin the Baylor player. Butler was held down.
  • Montgomery had to defend himself. The officials failed to protect t him from being assaulted multiple times. If the officials can’t protect him he has every right to defend himself.
  • Rhule bitched and complained about Brewer being ejected. Like usuall the other team just didn’t play well
  • WTF!!
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/why-iowa-state-and-baylor-players-started-brawling-mid-game
With Iowa State up, 17-0, and 10:30 left in the third quarter, Cyclones star wide receiver Hakeem Butler initially got into it with Bears safety Blake Lynch, loosely wrestling with each other on a play as Butler tried to get open. Still tangled, Lynch ended up on the ground on his back, and Butler held him down and put his knee on his chest.

Montgomery is in full pads with helmet.He didn't need to defend himself. After the slap (and it was a slap not a punch), he runs around the ref to get to the Baylor player. He could have walked away. If the Baylor player then pursues, then he would be justified in defending himself.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Randy just hit a whole new level of dumb...

Randy doesn't know that usually police have specialized holsters that require a sequence of movements to release the gun. This isn't the wild west where Billy the kid is running around with guns flying out.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/why-iowa-state-and-baylor-players-started-brawling-mid-game
With Iowa State up, 17-0, and 10:30 left in the third quarter, Cyclones star wide receiver Hakeem Butler initially got into it with Bears safety Blake Lynch, loosely wrestling with each other on a play as Butler tried to get open. Still tangled, Lynch ended up on the ground on his back, and Butler held him down and put his knee on his chest.

Montgomery is in full pads with helmet.He didn't need to defend himself. After the slap (and it was a slap not a punch), he runs around the ref to get to the Baylor player. He could have walked away. If the Baylor player then pursues, then he would be justified in defending himself.

Clearly you didn't watch the game at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron