VIDEO: Campbell's opening statement following 28-14 win over Baylor

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Just rewatching that portion of the game. Thought this was an important part of the fight nobody has mentioned, where there are 5 Baylor players fighting, or at the very least, shoving Hakeem. Probably looks worse than it is, but if I were an ISU player and saw that, I'm running in there and pulling guys out, just like David tried to do.

Attachments

• 5baylorguys.JPG
    5baylorguys.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 52

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
come on man. What did you want them to do? Start arresting people? I mean they could have flagged 31 for taunting the play before the fight.That's about all that could have been done different.

They lost control of the game when they didn't hammer baylor worse after their defense came to the ISU sideline. Or #31 when he was wondering around in the Iowa State "huddle" after that play. They didn't do enough to settle things down.

And when they ejected Brewer, they let things hang for way too long. They should have wound the clock and started backing them up along with penalizing them for illegal participation until he left.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
They lost control of the game when they didn't hammer baylor worse after their defense came to the ISU sideline. Or #31 when he was wondering around in the Iowa State "huddle" after that play. They didn't do enough to settle things down.

And when they ejected Brewer, they let things hang for way too long. They should have wound the clock and started backing them up along with penalizing them for illegal participation until he left.
agree they should have dealt with 31. Brewer ejection was pretty weak imo.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I went back and rewatched that "brawl" starting from where I assumed Butler was at fault. I definitely stand corrected; it looked like the Baylor player was intentionally putting a LOT of pressure on Butler's knee/calf.
That, in combination with the ridiculous late hit into the water table on DM makes me all but certain that Baylor was deliberately trying to injure our best players. There were some other not-really-incidental shoves on DM leading up to that, too.
Just embarrassing how skewed the spotlight turned, and yes I'll agree with everyone saying the refs lost control of the situation far before the skirmish happened.

I was happy (and so were the commentators) to see law enforcement step in immediately and help put an end to all of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
i$u? What like we pay recruits? We've had two or three true 4 stars. Wtf?

The $ must be because of all the fines we have had to pay because of our critiquing bad officiating and unprofessional fans.

Last edited:

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Wa
I was happy (and so were the commentators) to see law enforcement step in immediately and help put an end to all of it.
i agree, I think that was a big reason #51 got under control when he saw a law enforcement officer telling him to get back to his bench, because obviously the ref didn’t deter him

• Agree
Reactions: xr4ticlone

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Things would have gotten really interesting if #51 did a reactionary punch, not knowing it was a law enforcement officer holding him back at the end, and hitting the officer. Would he have been arrested right there on the field? Has that ever happened?

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Just rewatching that portion of the game. Thought this was an important part of the fight nobody has mentioned, where there are 5 Baylor players fighting, or at the very least, shoving Hakeem. Probably looks worse than it is, but if I were an ISU player and saw that, I'm running in there and pulling guys out, just like David tried to do.

Is that where they tried to gouge Butler's eyes? A clear Ref fail in another situation they should have attempted to control.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
It was very last chance u like that's for sure. Also at some point in the telecast they were talking to rhule about how they tried to hit DM alot and hard and wear him down. To me it almost seemed like intentionally hurting the star players is how they want to win. After the fight it seemed like our Defense was afraid to hit anyone especially Brewer when he was running not knowing when he was going to slide of if he was going to

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Montgomery got caught up in the moment. He's apologized, which is good.

Sounds like he misses the first half of UT...but that means he's fresh the 2nd half to run wild against a worn out UT D.
I like this mindset. It's like a super-sub in soccer. Bring on a speedy, starting-caliber winger with fresh legs to run past a tired defense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
come on man. What did you want them to do? Start arresting people? I mean they could have flagged 31 for taunting the play before the fight.That's about all that could have been done different.

They could have thrown a flag, pulled the coaches together and given them a stern warning to give their teams about anything else getting an unsportsmanlike or ejection (if that's within their power).

I'd imagine there were things going on before Gatorade-gate that warranted a warning of some sort and refs should be able to pick up on that kind of stuff since they're right there on the field and it's part of their ****ing job.

I can watch ESPN's sky view on Sling and pick up on conflict and tension between players so there's no reason the refs can't.