VIDEO: Campbell's opening statement following 28-14 win over Baylor

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Did I say he should have been penalized for getting in a fighter’s stance?

Just saying, Monty was gearing up for a fight. It didn’t come out of no where.
In the game thread, I made a comment about that. After the gatorade play, he had a run for a 1st down, then the play after that was where the fight broke out. They showed a close-up of him as he was walking back to the line after the first down. I have never seen him so pissed off - usually he's very calm and self-contained. But dang, he was maaaaaaad...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Baylor got Montgomery out of the game. That was their goal. First they tried to uinjure him by tackling him out of bounds into the Gatorade tables. Then Baylor #52 repeatedly threw sucker punches until Montgomery reacted. Montgomery should sit 1st half against Texas. And maybe not even that. Baylor player actually caught the ref a bit with one of his punches. Suspend him for 3 games.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon and bos

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Regarding your second sentence, I’ve watched a lot of football and have never heard that because of a normal ejection. Yes, that’s the rule for targeting and I think everyone just assumes it’s the same. But I don’t think “historically” that’s the case on a non targeting ejection.

Now the big 12 could come out and say he’s suspended for the first half next week but I think that’d just be their separate suspension. 52 shouldn’t play the next two weeks. Absolute chicken **** move

My memory tells me that the ejection rule in NCAA (ejected in 2nd half, sit out the first half of the next game) has been that way for a long time. Like, back into the 90's and perhaps before. Well before targeting was even thought of.

I suppose I could be wrong, but doubt it.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I just got done watching the replay of this portion of the game. I really think that it is simple. The ultimate responsibility is on the officials and their very poor handling of a couple of plays. There is no excuse that there wasn’t some action taken for the Baylor team entering our sideline after the Gatorade play. That was unacceptable. 31 should have at minimum gotten an unsportsmanlike.

Then the big brawl play is a bit more complicated but still pretty simple. It all starts because Butler isn’t allowed to stand up. Then you had the whole issue. This is the only spot where it gets complicated. The officials failed to protect Montgomery on multiple plays on 1 drive as a result he is forced to protect himself. I also don’t think he threw a punch in the way it is ruled normally. When he goes around the official he really lunges at the Baylor player in what usually is deemed shoving. People can argue the definition of a punch but I’ve seen similar punches not even flagged.

I don’t think Montgomery should be suspended because the officials failed to protect him from Baylor players. I also think that the penalties in that type of situation need to be reworked. Any way you cut it those shouldn’t have offset. Baylor needed to be penalized for starting the brawl.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Baylor got Montgomery out of the game. That was their goal. First they tried to uinjure him by tackling him out of bounds into the Gatorade tables. Then Baylor #52 repeatedly threw sucker punches until Montgomery reacted. Montgomery should sit 1st half against Texas. And maybe not even that. Baylor player actually caught the ref a bit with one of his punches. Suspend him for 3 games.

They must have REALLY been into DM...pretty sure I've never seen him do much more than get up and get back to the huddle no matter that play. Very unusual for him...but you can't punch back.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I just got done watching the replay of this portion of the game. I really think that it is simple. The ultimate responsibility is on the officials and their very poor handling of a couple of plays. There is no excuse that there wasn’t some action taken for the Baylor team entering our sideline after the Gatorade play. That was unacceptable. 31 should have at minimum gotten an unsportsmanlike.

Then the big brawl play is a bit more complicated but still pretty simple. It all starts because Butler isn’t allowed to stand up. Then you had the whole issue. This is the only spot where it gets complicated. The officials failed to protect Montgomery on multiple plays on 1 drive as a result he is forced to protect himself. I also don’t think he threw a punch in the way it is ruled normally. When he goes around the official he really lunges at the Baylor player in what usually is deemed shoving. People can argue the definition of a punch but I’ve seen similar punches not even flagged.

I don’t think Montgomery should be suspended because the officials failed to protect him from Baylor players. I also think that the penalties in that type of situation need to be reworked. Any way you cut it those shouldn’t have offset. Baylor needed to be penalized for starting the brawl.

This is my feeling as well. The refs 100% lost control of the situation. Not saying it is all on them but they clearly lost control and Baylor kept escalating like the thugs they are.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
In the game thread, I made a comment about that. After the gatorade play, he had a run for a 1st down, then the play after that was where the fight broke out. They showed a close-up of him as he was walking back to the line after the first down. I have never seen him so pissed off - usually he's very calm and self-contained. But dang, he was maaaaaaad...
He's probably like me, calm and collected, until you push it too far, then you get all 10 ton at once.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry there is no way in hell that Monty gets to play the whole game VS Texas. The only chance of justice is that Baylor player gets suspended for more than 1 game.

No and even if he were allowed to by the Big 12 and CMC held him out for a series or quarter I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think it's actually a good sign of how crazy passionate someone like DM is about defending his own teammates, but his reaction showed a loss of composure (albeit understandable) and you just can't have that.

Apr 19, 2006
Since Brewer got ejected with his second personal foul does he have to sit out the 1st half of their next game as well?

TrumpetHero

Oct 1, 2013
Bettendorf
I went back and rewatched that "brawl" starting from where I assumed Butler was at fault. I definitely stand corrected; it looked like the Baylor player was intentionally putting a LOT of pressure on Butler's knee/calf.
That, in combination with the ridiculous late hit into the water table on DM makes me all but certain that Baylor was deliberately trying to injure our best players. There were some other not-really-incidental shoves on DM leading up to that, too.
Just embarrassing how skewed the spotlight turned, and yes I'll agree with everyone saying the refs lost control of the situation far before the skirmish happened.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Just spent about 20 minutes in Sicem. They’re a......special.....group over there. Claiming Monty didn’t get shoved into the table. They said Monty was grabbing their player by the neck and pulling him into the table. Also, find it hilarious that one of them is calling us i$u. I think we’ve finally made it, boys.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Just spent about 20 minutes in Sicem. They’re a......special.....group over there. Claiming Monty didn’t get shoved into the table. They said Monty was grabbing their player by the neck and pulling him into the table. Also, find it hilarious that one of them is calling us i$u. I think we’ve finally made it, boys.
i$u? What like we pay recruits? We've had two or three true 4 stars. Wtf?

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I went back and rewatched that "brawl" starting from where I assumed Butler was at fault. I definitely stand corrected; it looked like the Baylor player was intentionally putting a LOT of pressure on Butler's knee/calf.
That, in combination with the ridiculous late hit into the water table on DM makes me all but certain that Baylor was deliberately trying to injure our best players. There were some other not-really-incidental shoves on DM leading up to that, too.
Just embarrassing how skewed the spotlight turned, and yes I'll agree with everyone saying the refs lost control of the situation far before the skirmish happened.

This x100. The Big 12 should review this and actually punish Baylor more for the shenanigans that were pulled today.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU and wxman1

Help Support Us

Become a patron