Veterinarian suicide rates

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'm curious if the vet med program can help address this in the curriculum, or what they do to address it. Seems like it's been suspected for quite a while.

I’m a vet and there are resources if you are having trouble. Sometimes my day sucks but I am lucky enough to have a good and supportive family at home with 3 kids that I am close too. I am also lucky enough to be able to compartmentalize aspects of my life and most of the tough days with euthanasias come when the animals are suffering and you are actually help ease that suffering. Some places there are a lot of convenience euthanasias which would get to me.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
i was alarmed to run across a story based on these findings.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p1220-veterinarians-suicide.html

Given Iowa state's stature in vet med, any thoughts from people?
Those statistics would benefit from some context. In the worst 5 year periods covered by the study (2010-14 for women and 2000-2004 for men), it’s about 3 females and 13 males per year nationally.

It would be interesting to compare rates with other high stress professions rather than the general population.

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: Walden4Prez and Doc

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Questioning for facts is one thing, but I meant more argumentative questioning. I love when clients want to be more educated from credible sources (not an internet blog where some guy in his basement has made a cure all raw diet that he feeds his dog so it has been thoroughly tested :rolleyes:). But even minor things get argued. Like if you went to your doc for asthma and they prescribed an inhaler, most people would gladly accept it. But if you take your dog in for something minor like acute diarrhea and the dvm prescribes a gastrointestinal food and probiotics, they will most likely hear something along the lines of, “my dog can’t eat this because it has ___ as an ingredient, and I read that ___ is bad for dogs on google.” These conversations get old fast after having them every appointment day in and day out. Thanks Blue Buffalo :mad:

I think you greatly underestimate the level of vehement BS that human docs hear every day. See: Facebook.

A friend-of-a-friend who is a dentist said that the suicide rate is largely due to finishing school as an excellent dentist without the slightest clue about running a business, and the financial and emotional issue that come with. I can certainly see that being the case here, too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
If you catch them where mom lives you can bring them in to be spayed/neutered for free. Over time she had caught all the females and all but one male.
Not as easy here. ISU has free spay/neuter clinics for "feral" cats. They hold them once or twice a year. Here's the kicker, though - you have to make the appointment months in advance. Ever try to time when an occasional feral is going to wander in? From what I've heard, most of the cats that are handled during that time are from barn cat populations.

We called all over the place trying to deal with this issue. We finally found a local vet that was willing to do just the basic TNR when we were able to live trap a cat We have a large cage that we can put the male cats in for a few days while they're on pain meds. The females are a little more problematic, as all vets require a "pre-op" at least 10 days before the surgery, and then the cat must be kept contained for at least 10 days post-op. So we end up with a caged cat in the garage for the better part of a month. Also, spaying costs more than neutering - but the females are easier to catch, especially when they are feeding a litter. :(

Some would say the smart thing to do would be to trap them and take them to the local shelter...but it's not a no-kill so I just can't bring myself to do it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
My dad bought his own vet practice in NE Iowa 30+ years ago right out of vet school and I have no idea how he does it. 70+ hour work weeks are the norm. He's trying to sell the practice but he's having a tough time as most young vets just want to get paid a nice salary for "just" 40 hour work weeks, not that I blame them. Not sure what he's gonna do but I do know he's looking forward to retirement

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
The article reads like they think it is due to other things rather than the dealing with the animals themselves. Things like the administration of the vet practice, access to lethal drugs, and high debt loads. Similar things to physicians who have high suicide rates.
Those are probably factors for sure - but physicians do not have to deal with "putting people down" on a regular basis.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My dad bought his own vet practice in NE Iowa 30+ years ago right out of vet school and I have no idea how he does it. 70+ hour work weeks are the norm. He's trying to sell the practice but he's having a tough time as most young vets just want to get paid a nice salary for "just" 40 hour work weeks, not that I blame them. Not sure what he's gonna do but I do know he's looking forward to retirement

I'm guessing NE Iowa 30 yrs that was/is a predominately large animal practice. Weekend calls are no strangers to those vets. A good vet is awesome, I've been lucky enough to know 2-3 had a couple of duds to. The duds weren't bad, but good vets are better.

Maybe your dad could sell his practice to a pair of vets coming out school then they would only have to work every other weekend? Good luck on him selling his business.

safmusic

May 30, 2006
retired vet
Not making enough money and people with animals trying to take advantage of you all the time. They try, one has to stand up to it
Business is hard...not in just vet med.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I read an article about this recently. In there it also mentioned something that hit me in the feels... A majority of pet owners do not like to be in the room and over 75% are not, when their pet is put under. A lot of people leave the room before the anesthetic is administered before the euthanasia..
When this occurs, vets have to watch the pet frantically look for its owner while its being put under to be euthanized.

Talk about heart break - I could never leave my pet in that scenario (until the anesthesia kicks in), I owe it to my pet to be there/put them at ease during that time.

Been apart of having to put 2 pets down and I was there to the end both times. You would have to knock me out to not have me in the room with my pet at the end.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
retired vet
Not making enough money and people with animals trying to take advantage of you all the time. They try, one has to stand up to it
Business is hard...not in just vet med.

Several times in our local emergency clinic I've seen tantrums when bad, bad people take their animals in after hours where the clinic moves heaven and earth to save their beloved pet only to berate the staff over the bill. These people are OUTRAGED that after hours emergency care is NOT free.

Tough gig you guys do and it's sad that you can't spend more time caring for animals rather than responding to the stupid animals who have wonderful pets in need.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I read an article about this recently. In there it also mentioned something that hit me in the feels... A majority of pet owners do not like to be in the room and over 75% are not, when their pet is put under. A lot of people leave the room before the anesthetic is administered before the euthanasia..
When this occurs, vets have to watch the pet frantically look for its owner while its being put under to be euthanized.

Talk about heart break - I could never leave my pet in that scenario (until the anesthesia kicks in), I owe it to my pet to be there/put them at ease during that time.

We have put 2 cats down and I didn't leave until they were unable to know that I left. Just typing this makes me realize I couldn't be a vet.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Its hard. Lot's of people go into being a Vet because they love animals. However, being a Vet is almost better if you are not an animal type person. I could not do it. I could not see a hurt dog or cat daily. Even though I would be there to help fix them. It would kill me. I freak out when my little dog get's a minor injury like being stung by a bee. I can't imagine doing that job. Much respect to those people and I hope someone can get those people some help.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think it would be interesting to see a break-down of this by large and small animal vets. The large animal vets here are extremely busy and I would imagine they are making good money, plus they don't have to deal with the emotional stresses of family pets vs livestock in bad situations, so I would imagine this is a bigger problem for small animal vets vs large animal.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Those statistics would benefit from some context. In the worst 5 year periods covered by the study (2010-14 for women and 2000-2004 for men), it’s about 3 females and 13 males per year nationally.

It would be interesting to compare rates with other high stress professions rather than the general population.
Military suicide rates run roughly 1.5 to 3 times the civilian rate depending on the age/sex/branch of the service member. Stress is definitely a primary factor for them. This report makes the rates seem similar if you adjust for actual numbers...

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
We just picked our little old lady up from the University of Georgia Vet Hospital after a 5 day stay and this makes me want to go back and hug the Dr. and student that worked with her. They were amazing and now I feel like I didn't do enough to thank them. I think I'll have to pick up a thank you card on the way home now.

Reactions: NWICY

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014

Giving statistics context? That's crazy talk. That would require people to think and not use statistics to solidify their general worldview.

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
I’m a vet and there are resources if you are having trouble. Sometimes my day sucks but I am lucky enough to have a good and supportive family at home with 3 kids that I am close too. I am also lucky enough to be able to compartmentalize aspects of my life and most of the tough days with euthanasias come when the animals are suffering and you are actually help ease that suffering. Some places there are a lot of convenience euthanasias which would get to me.

Also a vet and agree. I think most of us realize how important this part of the job is not that it doesn't still suck. Worst of all when it's your own little one.

Agree the overall suicide issue is more related to stress of financial burden and less than great business practices (hard to tell someone no when you want to help their pet).

ISU was developing a "minor" for vet students who wanted a better business knowledge base, don't know if they still have it.