Vet in Ames

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My girlfriend has a cat that she is thinking of taking to a vet to get looked at.

Anyone have any recommendations on who to (or not) go to?

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I mean I took my cat to the one in west Ames right by Perfect Games, and Kum and Go. It was only for a shot so I don't really have much to judge them on. The place looked clean and professional.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The Vet Med school?

I don't know what condition that area is in right now, but when I lived there, that's where I took my rabbit to get neutered. They were really good. Professional and the vet explained the entire procedure to me (almost TOO graphically...).

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
My girlfriend has a cat that she is thinking of taking to a vet to get looked at.

I'll take care of your cat problem and you'll never have to deal with it ever again. :biggrin:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The Vet Med school?

I don't know what condition that area is in right now, but when I lived there, that's where I took my rabbit to get neutered. They were really good. Professional and the vet explained the entire procedure to me (almost TOO graphically...).

We tried to take our rabbit there to get neutered a few years ago, and they said they no longer do that for rabbits. We ended up taking the rabbit to the place on Duff, kind of across from Kum & Go (just north of Lincoln Way). It was one of the only places in town that deals with "exotics."

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

It's a house cat. Not a vet in the world that isn't qualified to look at a house cat. Worst case scenario is he accidently kills the cat, in which case, you get another one from the ten million or so available for free at any shelter. Cats are disposable.

JT88

Oct 7, 2009
Companion Animal Clinic up in Gilbert. Dr. Tammy and staff care about the pets and the people who bring them in.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It's a house cat. Not a vet in the world that isn't qualified to look at a house cat. Worst case scenario is he accidently kills the cat, in which case, you get another one from the ten million or so available for free at any shelter. Cats are disposable.

This post oozes compassion and understanding... :jimlad:

Cysrevenge

Aug 13, 2010
all pets animal hospital, on 2nd street I believe just off the corner of duff and lincoln way. when we lived in ames we took both our dogs there. they always treated us well and weren't overly expensive. boarding was also available and at a fair rate. had we not moved, we would surely still be going to them.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

bob_barker.jpg

"Have Your Pets Spayed or Neutered"

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I have taken my pets to the ISU Vet Clinic for emergencies. You are going to pay through the nose there.

I took my dog to All Pets Animal Hospital when I lived in Ames. I thought they did good work.

I take my pets to the Heartland Pet Hospital in Story City currently. They are the best vets I have worked with. They are very upfront with you about what procedures are needed without bombarding you with a lot of extra services. Very affordable. So much so that family members bring their pets from the Des Moines area for care.

I have several friends and neighbors who take their pets to the Companion Animal Clinic in Gilbert and they say very good things about that place. Quality care at an affordable price.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
Companion Animal Clinic up in Gilbert. Dr. Tammy and staff care about the pets and the people who bring them in.

I've heard good things about Dr Tammy as well. I took my dog to the one by perfect games once and wasn't impressed at all. They were rather rude and charged way more than I pay for vet care in Huxley with Dr. Ken May if you don't mind driving 10 min south. He was great for the 3 years I took the dog there before I moved.

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
I have heard that the Vet school is very expensive. Soemthing seems wrong about that. I have no experience personally but I when a dog bit an electrical cord and burnt its mouth a few freinds warned me of the Vet school when trying to decide on a second opinion from there.