Alert: VERY IMPORTANT: All CF users please read

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm thinking about putting a ton of my own copyrighted images on the internet and then just sue people till I can retire.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
google went to court and successfully defended that a hosting site/message board could not be held liable for what members posted.

Got a link to this?

This case perhaps? Viacom International Inc. v. YouTube, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia lead paragraph said:
Viacock International, Inc. v. YouTube, Inc., No. 07 Civ. 2103, is a U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York case in which Viacock sued YouTube, a video-sharing site owned by Google, alleging that YouTube had engaged in "brazen" and "massive" copyright infringement by allowing users to upload and view hundreds of thousands of videos owned by Viacock without permission. A motion for summary judgement seeking dismissal was filed by Google and was granted in 2010 on the grounds that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's "safe harbor" provisions shielded Google from Viacock’s copyright infringement claims. However, on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, it was overturned in part in 2012, and a trial in the case is pending.

This one is still under appeal. The Wikipedia article makes it sound that the hang-up is based on how much infringement was known by the YouTube employees. Safe Harbor protection requires (I think) that the provider (YouTube, or CF in our case) not be aware of the infringement until the copyright holder makes them aware of it. Apparently there were emails between YouTube employees talking about infringement that was not being dealt with, and this opens YouTube to potential liability.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Talk about grey areas.

No doubt. When you upload a photo to Wikipedia you surrender your rights and the photo is put in public domain. On the flip side, when you upload your photos to panoramio, they are listed as retaining your full rights. So I have some images on Wikipedia and panoramio (Google Earth). Which is it? Is it free only if you take it from Wikipedia site?

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Screenshot with my iphone, crop down a bit (leaving a bit of screen showing), post...that's my photo. :twitcy:

In all seriousness, this is pretty interesting. This of the Dos Equis guy's photo that has been meme'd beyond belief...they could make a ton of bucks if they hunted down every site that used it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I assume either the poster or Cyclone Fanatic would have to try and claim it as original content...?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Getty images is a fairly well-known copyright troll, that tries to extort money from people hoping they will just give in to their tactics.

But really we really need serious reform of all of our intellectual property laws, from copyright (it shouldnt be the perpetual license it is today, for one, and it needs to adapt to the internet) to patents (which have gone completely idiotic in the tech world).

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Getty images is a fairly well-known copyright troll, that tries to extort money from people hoping they will just give in to their tactics.

But really we really need serious reform of all of our intellectual property laws, from copyright (it shouldnt be the perpetual license it is today, for one, and it needs to adapt to the internet) to patents (which have gone completely idiotic in the tech world).

That website is an interesting read...

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)

I can send a bill to anyone for breathing my air. If you choose to pay it, it's up to you.

if you post an image, and don't attempt to protect it (which we have all seen the popups) it's pretty much on you.

If I as an individual take your copywriten image, and try to make money with it.... Then it's a different story.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Don't Listen to Getty. Since 2007 or 2008 or so they have been suing people like crazy for copyright infringement. YOU THE SITE are not responsible for the content as long as they formally request and you take it down in a timely manner. Other than that they can go shove it. I was sued by them because someone linked a picture on a comment on one of my websites and I told them to shove it and nothing came out of it.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Don't Listen to Getty. Since 2007 or 2008 or so they have been suing people like crazy for copyright infringement. YOU THE SITE are not responsible for the content as long as they formally request and you take it down in a timely manner. Other than that they can go shove it. I was sued by them because someone linked a picture on a comment on one of my websites and I told them to shove it and nothing came out of it.

THIS.

It's a good reminder for everyone to be mindful of what they post here (especially in regards to media), but at the same time, ISUCyclones2015 is completely right.

I think things like meme generators are supposed to fall under fair use, since you are "remixing" the original, so you have something new. I could be wrong, though, and lord knows big-money copyright holders don't like the idea.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
How does that even work? People post pictures all the time, how is anyone supposed to know if it's a copyrighted picture that can't be used?

I actually did talk to a attorney close to election time about this issue. He told me that if there is not a copyright symbol or a watermark in the image, and it is published on the internet then use of the image was fair game.

I asked this question in regards the using photos of politicians for print material that I created and handed out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron