Very concerning trend

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
We can't score in the end of games. Today Wiggington assisted shayok at the 5:02 mark for a layup and we scored only 2 points in the final 5:02 so that is one basket. I don't care how bad the refs are we can't score two points in the final 5:02.

At Baylor we scored 4 points in the final 3:03 and all 4 of the points came when we were down 66-69 in the last 15 seconds of the game.

In the Baylor game i wanted a timeout around the two minute mark when we were up two to set up a play to extend the lead and try to give us the best possible chance for victory, Babb missed a jumper and then Baylor tied it up.
Today we called a timeout around the two minute mark while up three and ended up having Babb take a long contested three, no way that is what we were looking for out of the timeout.

We have some serious identity issues at the end of the game. We have no leader or go to guy. There is too much standing around, especially when wiggington and shayok have the ball. I don't like any lineup that doesnt have a rim protector in when it is a very tight game. Jacobsen and young are not rim protectors, if one of those two is in that means lard or condit have to be in as well.

My biggest concern was prohm being able to manage all this talent and keep them happy and it is trending in the wrong direction and i dont know how you fix it. Having too many good players seem to be a liability, if someone knows how to fix it i recommend prohm hire them as a consultant.

What is frustrating is zero execution cost us two games. We have lost a home game and one of the most winnable road games. Tough pill to swallow!!!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
We can't score in the end of games. Today Wiggington assisted shayok at the 5:02 mark for a layup and we scored only 2 points in the final 5:02 so that is one basket. I don't care how bad the refs are we can't score two points in the final 5:02.

At Baylor we scored 4 points in the final 3:03 and all 4 of the points came when we were down 66-69 in the last 15 seconds of the game.

In the Baylor game i wanted a timeout around the two minute mark when we were up two to set up a play to extend the lead and try to give us the best possible chance for victory, Babb missed a jumper and then Baylor tied it up.
Today we called a timeout around the two minute mark while up three and ended up having Babb take a long contested three, no way that is what we were looking for out of the timeout.

We have some serious identity issues at the end of the game. We have no leader or go to guy. There is too much standing around, especially when wiggington and shayok have the ball. I don't like any lineup that doesnt have a rim protector in when it is a very tight game. Jacobsen and young are not rim protectors, if one of those two is in that means lard or condit have to be in as well.

My biggest concern was prohm being able to manage all this talent and keep them happy and it is trending in the wrong direction and i dont know how you fix it. Having too many good players seem to be a liability, if someone knows how to fix it i recommend prohm hire them as a consultant.

What is frustrating is zero execution cost us two games. We have lost a home game and one of the most winnable road games. Tough pill to swallow!!!

The problem I see is not to much talent. Shoot loook at Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas over the last 20 years. They are always loaded with talent.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
Duke has like three studs and everything goes through them and everyone knows there roles. We have no stud/elite player that is a leader and everything goes through. We have guys that could be that but right now they are not that. We do not have a niang, monte morris, royce white, and i could go on.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
When you get knocked over trying to drive its pretty hard to score. Plus the few chances we got from the line in a one and one bonus (which should have been done by the 5 minute mark) were a couple free throw misses. That is a lot of pressure on two free throws.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Duke has like three studs and everything goes through them and everyone knows there roles. We have no stud/elite player that is a leader and everything goes through. We have guys that could be that but right now they are not that. We do not have a niang, monte morris, royce white, and i could go on.

Everyone on Dukes roster is either ranked higher or just as high as our guys. They have a 5 star point guard that gets no pub and Coach K knows how to deal with all of them.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
dont ignore our inability to excute in the final 3 minutes at baylor and five minutes at we have one two actual baskets in the time frame and two free throws.

Reactions: UNIclonefan

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Refs suck in past, present and future. So - easy to point at them when your fanboy hero blows the game. Team is average - no leader, no gut check shooter - lots of bad shots and no defense at end of game. Hammer the player in the lane and make them shoot FT’s and save time. Zero court awareness and all around pathetic. My appointment tv to watch this s***show is now freed up! What a joke to think this is a special team. Babb should Never shoot again. No consistency there. Pathetic performance at end of game again! No heart!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Anyone that blames the last two games on the refs clearly doesn't understand finish games. To bad first halves and we still should have won both games. I couldn't disagree more with blaming the refs!!

Get off your high ******* horse. JFC.

Refs having a bad game and ISU not playing well are not mutually exclusive. In a one possession loss, refs can absolutely effect the outcome, regardless of whether we finished out the game correctly.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
A couple other thoughts overall on the team. THT needs to lose weight in the off season like Niang did and come back leaner and quicker. With his wingspan, he will be a monster.

When Lard comes back healthy, he should start and Jacobson coming off the bench. We need rebounding and blocked shots, especially with 4 guards playing. Jacobson's nice ball fake moves used earlier in the season are not working out against the larger players in Big 12 play.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
4 guard perimeter offense teams are generally poor at rebounding. This is a known thing.

Maybe we need to try something else then? The Big 12 is full of slow teams that will completely take us out of our up-tempo style. The reason we always play so well against Kansas and Oklahoma is because they run a similar style but then we struggle against physical teams.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic