Verizon 5G Coming to Des Moines in 2019

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
DSM will have 5G cell phone service by the end of 2019.

I'm hoping that DSM also gets the 5G home internet as well. Would love to dump CL and Mediacom.
$50 for 300 up/300 down.
I hope it can cover the whole DSM metro.
Verizon also recent announced an expanded partnership with Youtube TV. I'm hoping theres a cellphone/5G/YTTV bundle in the future!

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/ver...oll-out-5g-internet-to-20-new-cities-in-2019/

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I'm hoping that DSM also gets the 5G home internet as well. Would love to dump CL and Mediacom.
$50 for 300 up/300 down.
Verizon also recent announced an expanded partnership with Youtube TV. I'm hoping theres a cellphone/5G/YTTV bundle in the future!

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/ver...oll-out-5g-internet-to-20-new-cities-in-2019/

Yeah but you need the 5G infrastructure in your home to make the switch. Samsung Galaxy S10 with 5G will cost $1300.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/samsung-galaxy-s10-5g-price-and-release-date-on-verizon.html

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Hoping it never comes to the rural areas.

Why would you not want access to a high speed internet service in rural Iowa?

Yeah but you need the 5G infrastructure in your home to make the switch. Samsung Galaxy S10 with 5G will cost $1300.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/samsung-galaxy-s10-5g-price-and-release-date-on-verizon.html
Its my understanding for home internet is that Verizon will come mount a receiver and then you and plug and play.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I'd be surprised if Verizon brought home 5g to DSM in the first roll out. These are going to be in place with a high density of people for the Verizon cost to invest in the infrastructure to scale correctly. Likely see mobile 5g in downtown DSM and the home 5g in major metro areas in areas with high residential density. It'll take awhile for the costs and expectations to result in service in most areas of the DSM metro.

• Agree
Reactions: rhoho

rhoho

Dec 2, 2015
Southern Iowa

$50 for 300 up/300 down.

Who cares. What we have now is just fine. All its going to do is raise prices because more equipment is needed, etc. When is enough enough? 4g is super fast as is. Why change something that is not broken?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

$50 for 300 up/300 down.

I spoke with ATT and they seemed a little *hedged* about when/where they roll out 5G. I may have to finally switch to the big V and 10 yrs of ATT.
Can anybody comment how efficiently Verizon apps, maps and internet work while on a voice call with an iPhone nowadays ? I may be behind the times, but there used to be issues back in the early days when iPhone first committed to only ATT.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Who cares. What we have now is just fine. All its going to do is raise prices because more equipment is needed, etc. When is enough enough? 4g is super fast as is. Why change something that is not broken?

The main difference between 4g and 5g isn't even much about the raw speed. Yes it's faster, but the big gains are that 5g can connect more devices with lower latency. That's why this'll get rolled out in dense areas first. Think about connecting to 4g at an arena that everyone is on and how long it takes to load stuff. 5g is a huge benefit in that it'll speed up all of those connections, so users will have a better experience in large groups.

Long-term there will be speed gains for the average user, but don't expect 4g to go away anytime soon as it has a better coverage base and cell providers are still squeezing speed increases out of it.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The main difference between 4g and 5g isn't even much about the raw speed. Yes it's faster, but the big gains are that 5g can connect more devices with lower latency. That's why this'll get rolled out in dense areas first. Think about connecting to 4g at an arena that everyone is on and how long it takes to load stuff. 5g is a huge benefit in that it'll speed up all of those connections, so users will have a better experience in large groups.

Long-term there will be speed gains for the average user, but don't expect 4g to go away anytime soon as it has a better coverage base and cell providers are still squeezing speed increases out of it.

Great info here. I wouldn't expect much from an initial launch in DSM. Take a look at some early reviews in Chicago for example.

https://www.cnet.com/news/testing-v...ed-about-our-data-future/#ftag=CAD-00-10aag7d

5g is as more about low latency and capacity than speeds. It is really needed to support things like IoT. It is needed to support machine to machine use. Current LTE advanced is sufficient for what you do on a smart phone.

Also, the early ATT and Verizon deployments are being done on milimeter wave. These signals don't travel far or penetrate buildings. So until they start adding different spectrum bands, expect to see this on the streets downtown or in other high traffic areas only. If you think you will be pulling out your new 5G phone and pulling 1 gig download speeds in your living room in West Des Moines later this year you will be sorely disappointed.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: aobie and dawgpound

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Great info here. I wouldn't expect much from an initial launch in DSM. Take a look at some early reviews in Chicago for example.

https://www.cnet.com/news/testing-v...ed-about-our-data-future/#ftag=CAD-00-10aag7d

5g is as more about low latency and capacity than speeds. It is really needed to support things like IoT. It is needed to support machine to machine use. Current LTE advanced is sufficient for what you do on a smart phone.

Also, the early ATT and Verizon deployments are being done on milimeter wave. These signals don't travel far or penetrate buildings. So until they start adding different spectrum bands, expect to see this on the streets downtown or in other high traffic areas only. If you think you will be pulling out your new 5G phone and pulling 1 gig download speeds in your living room in West Des Moines later this year you will be sorely disappointed.

It's my understanding that there is both the millimeter wave 5g that offers the full benefit of 5g but also a low frequency 5g that has the more typical coverage. I think the main difference is that the low frequency 5g is basically just a speed increase, whereas the millimeter wave technology has all of the capacity bonuses.

The really cool thing about the millimeter stuff is that it really opens the door for a lot of wireless tech that is really just a thought right now. It'll be cool to see what applications come up in the next 5 years. Think more connected cars and other devices using the 5g tech. Its an important backbone to a more connected future.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

5G is what is needed for critical applications. If autonomous vehicles are ever going to be practical, then they will need a 5G infrastructure to communicate efficiently. The other example I have seen in support of 5G is for medical professionals being able to remotely assist with surgery in real-time - whether over video conference or operating some kind of robotic apparatus.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's my understanding that there is both the millimeter wave 5g that offers the full benefit of 5g but also a low frequency 5g that has the more typical coverage. I think the main difference is that the low frequency 5g is basically just a speed increase, whereas the millimeter wave technology has all of the capacity bonuses.

The really cool thing about the millimeter stuff is that it really opens the door for a lot of wireless tech that is really just a thought right now. It'll be cool to see what applications come up in the next 5 years. Think more connected cars and other devices using the 5g tech. Its an important backbone to a more connected future.

I don't want everything in my life recording my every move and sending it back to who knows how many antennas, companies, and whatever. No thanks.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
The Verizon rep that came to our office yesterday said that they are concentrating the initial roll out in metro's that don't have current Verizon saturation. Said Iowa is about 75% verizon customers and they are going to concentrate on the Minneapolis and Chicago markets, get the kinks worked out and then move on to other cities. Rural Iowa is on a 5+ year roadmap.