VEISHEA bands announced

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Already have the first letter complaining today in the Daily.

LETTER: Veishea concert fees undermine the event - Opinion

That dude nailed that one!!! I enjoyed the concerts when they were on the campus green, friley hall, and forker parking lot. It gets people to see the whole campus and get around. I was even impressed I think my sophomore year with the concert at Freddy Court with Damon Dotson band on thursday night I think it was with sand volleyball, dunk contest, and the like. Now the paid admittance is only to the band practice field, which honestly has already got mounds of dirt on it from soil samples for the soon to be ag building. Why take us to that part of campus when I believe the focal point of campus is the campanile, MU, lake laverne and the campus green?

The committee lost this year as I always have my family and friends come down to celebrate the VEISHEA as they were all Cyclone Alums (my fam) Looks like we'll have to stick to our Friday beer pong tourney, and saturday 2 on 2 basketball tourney to get wasted.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
For $5 what did you people really expect? You can barely buy a beer for that anymore.

Actually, i expected to pay $0.00 like all of the years before. But, honestly, its not the money that makes me mad, it's the limited number of people who get them. This is only going to hurt VEISHEA, more than it helps.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Actually, i expected to pay $0.00 like all of the years before. But, honestly, its not the money that makes me mad, it's the limited number of people who get them. This is only going to hurt VEISHEA, more than it helps.

Dave...voice your displeasure with an opinion article in the Iowa State Daily tomorrow! I'd laugh my *** off all day long to read what you'd write Dave lol.:biglaugh:

NIowaClone

Sep 1, 2006
Dallas, Texas
You would think with a tighter budget that they would possibly go hit or miss with bigger names like they did last year. It seems this year they have more smaller, less expensive bands that may not impress. I enjoyed Saliva and Story of the Year in 2007. Now we get Anchondo, Blessid of the something, and others I have never heard of. To sum it all up, :wideeyed: what were they thinking?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

I was looking forward to VEISHEA, but apparently I'm not invited since I already graduated :skeptical:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Dave...voice your displeasure with an opinion article in the Iowa State Daily tomorrow! I'd laugh my *** off all day long to read what you'd write Dave lol.:biglaugh:

Oh, i might. I just need to type it up and make sure its fine and dandy before i submit it. :biggrin:

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
Yea like others before me, im just dissapointed that they are essentially trying to limit the event to current students when in reality veishea is a chance for people from all over to get together and have a good time, but now there is no reason to have other ppl come when it is as if we are trying to exclude them. a chance for isu to really show off, and i think they failed...

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
I can't believe people are knocking Blessed Union of Souls..."I Believe" is a great song. I can play about 10 seconds of it on the piano.

Sadly I don't remember any other songs they had...:no:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I was looking forward to VEISHEA, but apparently I'm not invited since I already graduated :skeptical:
From the Veishea link:

"Admission to that outdoor venue will be limited to ISU students, alumni, faculty and staff who purchase wristbands."

Still a terrible idea.

Aldude505

Jan 19, 2008
Iowa Falls
I don't want this to be the year that ends VEISHEA, but with bands like that and a cover charge now apparently ISU just wants to get it over with. Unless something changes I don't see this ending well for anyone. I suppose I better go have fun, because I don't think next year I will be able to!!! Like was said in an earlier post "Ames PD get ready! It's gunna be a rough weekend!"

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks mwitt. I was mistaken in my comment. I did not read far enough :eek:; I stopped when I read "valid ISU ID." I'll have to call the Alumni Association to get mine. Thanks for pointing that out.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Any non-ISU faculty, student, alumni on here? I am just wondering if I am the only one on here. I am also wondering if anyone else thinks this will be the most worst VEISHEA ever for visitors coming into Ames?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I was on VEISHEA EXEC back in 1995 ( Not the year someone got Killed), when I was in school the only thing close to Bands was the battle of bands, we had no concerts. So really it looks like the Commitee and the university are fine with the mass of people hanging out at parties and on Welch Ave and drinking, I my opinion the lack of Concerts, or Entertainment at night in past Veishea is what caused the problems. We will see, but it sounds like the University does not want it to be a success which would be a shame.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
One thing I've never understood is how can Geoffrey cancel the largest "Student Run" festival in the world, or however they promote it. If it's by the students, he should have no say. Just have all the students call it VEISHEA, promote it as such, and drink on! Or do whatever else you do during VEISHEA.

Note that I was a student during both the riot year and the "cancelled" year. Pretty ridiculous slap on the wrist from "daddy" in my book. :smile: