Vehicle Shopping advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mj4cy, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Beyerball

Beyerball Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Sales
    Texas
    I've driven dozens and dozen of different crossover/SUV/vans..I drive 70k miles a year and cover 8 states including North Dakota..this is first time I've had an outback..if you are buying new or few years old and u want a crossover that is safest for your kids and is by far the best vehicle in snow I've ever driven then IMO again is Outback..that s thing weighs like 5000 lbs or something.. tank.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Damn, that's nearly 300 miles a day. Impressive

3. CYCLONE STATE

CYCLONE STATE Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Clive
    That's a lot of miles. You must replace a lot of motherboards and gas cap sensors.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    I have 3 kids with similar age spread(oldest soon to be 14). Wife has had a Honda Odyssey for the last 10 years(and we still love it). I had a big Ford Taurus and could squeeze 3 cars seats in it. What a pain in the butt. Always tight fit.

I suggest getting something with 3 rows of seats so you can separate fighting kids which happens more and more as they get bigger and more independent. I have a Dodge Durango with about 135,000 miles on it and love it. AWD is nice when we do get a snowy winter.

5. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Reliability Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Just heard the best quote about minivans from Christine Lakin (Alice "Al" Lambert from the 90's show Step By Step):

"Buying a minivan is like losing your virginity. It hurts the first time, but then you start to think about all the stuff you can fit in there."

FYI Lakin, Beverly Mitchell (7th Heaven) and Jodie Sweetin (Full House) are doing an unscripted comedy show called "Hollywood Darlings" sometime this spring.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ou812zx

ou812zx Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I am biased but the suburban is a bit excessive yes, but very capable. I work on my own rigs so I bought mine dirt cheap needing some repairs. regardless it does what I want...tow a car trailer or bikes? no sweat...Drive over a mountain pass in winter...no sweat...load up a crew of 6 or 7...sure...haul firewood or tool...sure. for most a minivan with proper tires is a great option. given my price of entry, current fuel costs, ease of repair....my old suburban is real tough to beat. buying used and fixing things yourself is a huge benefit here. even though it's a 2000, all features work including keyless entry, heated leather seats, auto 4x4, and Bluetooth stereo...aftermarket of course

7. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    We bought a Buick Enclave recently, with only one kid, but planning ahead.

It's the same platform as the Chevy Traverse. The Buick commercials are really stupid, but it is a nice car really. Not great mileage, but that kinda comes with the territory.

A friend of mine uses a crew cab truck to haul around 3 kids, with at least 2 in carseats. I wouldn't think that possible, but apparently so :confused:

8. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Maybe something like this?

upload_2017-3-21_13-19-39.jpeg

9. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    It only has 1 horsepower though, that doesn't seem like enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Not to your spoiled millennial attitude.

11. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Any Subaru, you wont regret.

12. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Like my Subaru Outback but warning you may be called a Lesbian by uninformed message board posters who like cars. Side note, the prices of used cars on the wholesale market are falling so you might be able to negotiate a pretty good deal.

It has lots of leg room as both the wife and I are tall and I can drive without the seat crammed to the back most position. I am not sure if you will be able to get three car seats into the back seat though.

13. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    We just got done buying a Malibu. My son is 13, but 5'9", so we were concerned about the fit for him in the back seat. We were very close to getting a Honda CRV or HRV. I wanted the Impala, but my wife didn't want that big... I'm guessing that the backseat in any of these will work for you, but if you keep the vehicle a while the third row would be the way to go. Even if you have the minivan as the primary, you may want a different vehicle for road trips.

If I could've convinced my wife to spend the money and squeeze it in the garage we would've bought a Murano, Enclave, Edge, or Acadia in that order.

14. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    So your wife is the practical one in the family? ;)

15. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames

16. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Yeah, it's not even close. If I didn't have her I'd be up to my eyeballs in debt. I'd have a ton of cool things, but broke. Instead we are pretty comfortable. Love that girl.

• Like Like x 1