Vegas has Iowa as a 9 1/2 favorite over ISU. Thoughts

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
So take 3 off for home field and Vegas thinks Iowa, with basically everything back and better on offense, is less than a TD better than a team coming off a 3-9 season with a new offensive system in place and a pretty decimated D-line.

They know Iowa better than I thought.

Ken Miller says Kinnick used to be worth 6 points, and is now worth 5.5 FWIW.

I'm surprised people think Iowa is going to cover so easily with the way ISU has played against the spread vs Iowa.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
History doesn't agree with this at all. 2009 and 2010 are probably the only years in the past 15 that anyone made money betting on the Hawks in this game.

This!
Funny how quick some people forget. Mustang totally whiffed with that comment. Unless he forgot the jimlad.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
History doesn't agree with this at all. 2009 and 2010 are probably the only years in the past 15 that anyone made money betting on the Hawks in this game.

History is full of years where Iowa was overrated and ISU fairly underrated. Do you really think that's the case anymore? At 9 1/2 you almost have to think this is a one score game...do you really think this will be a one score game? I don't, I don't care what history says I think this is a two TD score win for Iowa, hence put your money on that line for Iowa to cover. To go back to history I remember lines to this game in the 16-17 range which I wouldn't touch unless I was taking ISU.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Say that when we are beating the UNIs, Tulsas, Rutgers, and all with regularity.
If the Big Ten was filled with Kansas, we could go undefeated. Otherwise, we haven't shown that we're far enough along for this to be true.

Right, we can't lose to UNI and Tulsa and claim we are a 9 win team in the Big 10. If UNI wouldn't have fumbled on the goaline at the end we would have lost that game by two TD's...and we are a 9 win Big 10 team? Please...we may be a 6 win team in the Big 10, I'd accept that pretty easy.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Right, we can't lose to UNI and Tulsa and claim we are a 9 win team in the Big 10. If UNI wouldn't have fumbled on the goaline at the end we would have lost that game by two TD's...and we are a 9 win Big 10 team? Please...we may be a 6 win team in the Big 10, I'd accept that pretty easy.

Yeah, UNI was at least 2 TD's better than us in that game last year. We just got lucky the score wasn't worse. So we really can't talk about what we'd do in the Big 10.

With that being said, Iowa does have one of the weakest schedules I've ever seen this year. It's pathetic.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
History is full of years where Iowa was overrated and ISU fairly underrated. Do you really think that's the case anymore? ....

With last year's coaching staff I would have said no. Until we see how the Cyclones play in the first two games, I still believe Mangino will have a big effect on the outcome.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I thought it should be about 13.5 right now. It could be 6.5 or 20.5 by gameday depending on what happens in the openers. FWIW, I always feel that Iowa is about 2 points more favored than they ought to be, for whatever reason - maybe too many MDs and JDs betting big coin.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
For the record, most of these series games are close.

Yeah, but when they aren't, they really aren't.

I think 9.5 means, do you think it will be close, or do you think Iowa will blow them out? Bet either side of 9.5.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'll care what the spread is after we play north Dakota state and K-State.

Yyyyyyep.

I just want ISU to look like a football team that's practiced tackling and getting 1st downs. That would like a vast improvement from last year.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Last year not withstanding, give us Iowa's schedule the past 5 years and we add two wins a year on average IMO.

And I don't think that is all that much of a stretch.

It is a stretch because you don't really have any idea. If ISU were some sort of football powerhouse then you could make all the claims you want, but as it is these claims amount to nothing more than throwing crap at a wall and hoping it sticks.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It is a stretch because you don't really have any idea. If ISU were some sort of football powerhouse then you could make all the claims you want, but as it is these claims amount to nothing more than throwing crap at a wall and hoping it sticks.

I don't think you grasp what IMO means.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
I don't think you grasp what IMO means.

It means his opinion is biased. Just like everyone else's opinion is biased. Which is why I said what I said. Making these "If we had their schedule" or "If our schedule wasn't so difficult" arguments is nothing more than an excuse and a distraction from the meat and potatoes of the real point... ISU football is and almost always has been a struggle. Trying to claim that it would somehow be different in another Power 5 conference is ridiculous when the team you're discussing has losses to opponents like UNI and Tulsa in recent years.

No one has a clue what the results would look like so even suggesting it is pointless. Plain and simple. People do it because it's an attempt to make themselves feel better about the current state of football in Ames.

"If only we were __________________ (insert excuse here)"