VandeBerg broken foot

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't blame him. Its confusing. When you hear 30%, you think to do the math like this:
Games Played/Total Games < 30%

However, the NCAA does it like this
Games Played <= 30% of Total Games (always rounded up if a fraction)

Either way would be a legitimate way to calculate it. The NCAA just makes this very clear

I was being sarcastic because he's usually wrong and he's a huge homer but yes I agree it can be confusing

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
It's only regular season. Even if they go to a bowl game he's over 30% (30.76%). Unless he comes back later this season his career is done
Not necessarily. A kid for wisconsin a year ago played the first four games and got a fifth year. Guy's name is Leon Jacobs...he played 4 games for them last year, and as we all know Wisconsin didn't make the Championship game either.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_b9b42509-1b1d-5d40-96f2-53e7f2c5e3b8.html

"Typical NCAA rules only allow medical redshirts to players who have played in no more than 30 percent of their team’s season. At four games, Jacobs played 31 percent of the season, but the NCAA still granted Jacobs an extra year."

Last edited:

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I love how everyone is quoting and talking about rules and rulebooks. Like the NCAA cares about those.

• Winner
Reactions: isu2014

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Did he also lose some of a prior year to injury?

There can be other factors
Nope. Just the one. Same situation as VandeBerg. They're willing to show more leniency if the player never redshirted, it seems.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I never wish an injury to anyone..... EVER! Feel terrible for Matt. Great player.

These are all just college kids playing a game they love to the best of their ability while also trying to get a degree. How can anyone root for them to get injured?

I remember all the Hawk fans at the 2002 game in IC tailgating by us that were hoping for Seneca to get injured that night and I couldn't believe it. Sad.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
So apparently all BIG teams play a 13-game schedule, even if they don't make the Conf. Title game ?#@?? Folks, unless he plays in a Bowl game, he's coming back next year:

~~~~~~~

"....the language in Article 12.8.4.3.6.2 within the NCAA handbook states that the computation "shall be rounded to the next whole number." Because VandeBerg would have played in four of the scheduled 13 regular-season games (the Big Ten Conference title game counts, regardless if Iowa plays in it), he is at, but not over, the limit. For NCAA purposes, 30 percent is equal to 3.9 games and would round up to four.

Based on this language (H/T @mred53), Iowa's Matt VandeBerg should qualify for medical hardship. (30 percent = 4 games max) pic.twitter.com/GJsUY0vYen

NEWS: Without commenting on specific case, B1G confirms that injured player w/ 4 games in 1st half of season qualifies for medical hardship.

— Chad Leistikow (@ChadLeistikow) September 27, 2016
Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said Tuesday that the Hawkeyes "might have a chance, bowl-game time" to get VandeBerg back on the field. But if he doesn't make it back, Ferentz indicated that the native of Brandon, S.D., would apply for a fifth year.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm glad Naz hung it up when he did, we suffered a bit but still hit a 4 seed and Sweet 16. He'll be the difference now in what would have been a bubble team to probably a top 7 seed.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Propaganda Pete is why cy fans get their hopes up each year. Don't worry he will have you all convinced again by next August that isu will win 6 games or more. Just like he has done the past 5 years.

link to where I was convinced we would win 6 games? I started at 3, then went to 2 before the season even started. Don't pretend ISU fans are as jaded as hok fan. Say hi to Jon Miller for me.