Valpo to the Valley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisMWilliams, May 9, 2017.

1. WooClone15

WooClone15 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Student
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +2,662 / 63 / -0
    And if you look at the conferences, Drake fits with the types of institutions better in the Missouri Valley than the Summit league. For the major conferences that doesn't matter as much, but I feel like it matters a lot more for the smaller conferences in D-1 and down

2. knowlesjam

knowlesjam Active Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Weather Warrior
    Papillion, NE
    Ratings:
    +772 / 28 / -0
    This may be the bigger long term question. You have 29 teams between the Summit, Valley, and Horizon. There could definitely be some geographical trading between the 3 leagues...say UNI, Drake, and Missouri State head to the Summit, while Wayne State, IUPUI, and Western Illinois move to the Valley.

3. 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +223 / 9 / -0
    UNI left a league with the Dakota schools 40 years ago because it was miserable and they did everything as a block and stopped any forward thinking in the old North Central Conference. They've done the same thing in The Summit League. I just don't see a scenario where UNI hooks back up with them again for all sports. They tolerate each other in football because the Dakotas are way too far east for the Big Sky, but there really isn't a working relationship there otherwise.

I actually think the Summit is in trouble because the Horizon is going to make a hard push for IUPUI and Fort Wayne to replace Valpo, Western Illinois has had conversations with the Ohio Valley. If that were to happen, the Summit is suddenly at 7 members with UMKC as the only viable option to be the 8th until you try to raid the WAC for someone like Chicago State.

The Valley is still a step up from the Summit, Horizon and OVC, but choosing to replace Creighton with Loyola Chicago sure closed the gap quick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +2,690 / 115 / -0
    No more weird than 'South Eastern' for Missouri, or Creighton for 'East'.

One could also make an argument that Colorado and Utah are not on the Pacific Coast, nor is Indiana (ND) on the Atlantic Coast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,335 / 46 / -0
    Drake and Illinois st are already set to be"associate" members of the Summit, they will compete in Tennis as a member, Eastern Illinois will also compete in the Summit in a couple Olympic sports. It used to have schools ranging from Michigan to Louisiana to Utah but a few years back when they added Omaha, they mentioned they wanted to evolve to a league with schools in the midwest. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try another shake up.

6. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,962 / 87 / -0
    I would like to see UNI step up to the MAC in football. They may not have large enough capacity for football, but the capacity of the Dome is probably more than what many MAC schools are averaging for attendance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +15,771 / 701 / -0
    About as good as they could do. Sucks for that league, but it's definitely on the lower end of mid-major conferences now.

8. somecyguy

somecyguy Active Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +412 / 7 / -0
    UNI is probably more likely to contract their football program than step up. The financial issues are still looming large there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +223 / 9 / -0
    UNIs financial house is in order.

Athletics takes less money from the general fund than any other school in the Valley and the vast majority of peer institutions. Fundraising continues to set records every year and overall reveues are way, way up from a decade ago.

UNI would be well positioned from a financial standpoint to join a G5 league if they would so choose.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,962 / 87 / -0

I think the FBS requirements for scholarships will be problematic. Not seeing the Regents being willing or UNI Panther Scholarship Club being able to bring them up to that level. But I would love it if it happened.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Royalclone

Royalclone Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I thought the best choice for the MVC would be UMKC. Decent market and the potential to step up from Municipal to the Sprint Center with better basketball. Better chance of keeping some interst that WSU drew to the conference as well.

12. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,962 / 87 / -0

Is there much cross-over between Wichita State and UMKC fans? I wouldn't think so.

13. Royalclone

Royalclone Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    There will be if you bring Valley basketball to town.