Valpo to the Valley

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Valpo isn't terrible. They've been in the tourney a few times over the years. Not a bad location either with some recruits nearby.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The only thing I know or remember about valpo is that shot like 20 years ago:
giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Valley needed to go to at least 11 and add Murray State. Then needed to put the press on Belmont to be the 12th.

Continued short term thinking by the presidents of the private schools in the league. The Valley is headed for a public/private Big East style split.

Reactions: heitclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Still don't get why they didn't consider NDSU. Truthfully, I consider them a much more valuable up-and-coming program that would fit better than any of those other schools they considered.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
This was a fairly discussed topic here in Omaha. Honestly, there wasn't too much hype for the Valley as the $'s are pretty much the same between the Valley, Horizon, and Summit. Additionally, North Dakota is joining up with the Summit in 2018 (from the Big Sky), so Omaha likely feels that remaining in the Summit is the way to go as it too hits 10 members with North Dakota.

NDSU wasn't going to move to the Valley...same $'s...mostly unknown rivals.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This was a fairly discussed topic here in Omaha. Honestly, there wasn't too much hype for the Valley as the $'s are pretty much the same between the Valley, Horizon, and Summit. Additionally, North Dakota is joining up with the Summit in 2018 (from the Big Sky), so Omaha likely feels that remaining in the Summit is the way to go as it too hits 10 members with North Dakota.

NDSU wasn't going to move to the Valley...same $'s...mostly unknown rivals.

Mostly unknown rivals??? Don't agree there at all as it would mostly link their football rivals now to all the other sports. And sure, while it would be probably about the same money, I do consider the MVC a step up in the Mid-Major world to the Summit league.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Still don't get why they didn't consider NDSU. Truthfully, I consider them a much more valuable up-and-coming program that would fit better than any of those other schools they considered.

Seems like it. Maybe Valley still will add NDSU/SDSU at some point, but first wanted to fill the basketball-only slot left by WSU. (I'm just taking a guess).

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Mostly unknown rivals??? Don't agree there at all as it would mostly link their football rivals now to all the other sports. And sure, while it would be probably about the same money, I do consider the MVC a step up in the Mid-Major world to the Summit league.

The MVC with Wichita State and Creighton was a step up. This MVC is just there, but not a step up for someone like NDSU.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

With Creighton and Wichita leaving, the Dakota schools are kind of out of the way geographically where the league is headed. They now have no schools west of the Missouri, UNI, Drake and Missouri St are the only schools west of the Mississippi. The other schools are all located in Illinois and Indiana. If you are drawing from those states, Valpo is the best pick hands down.

The question now becomes, how long until UNI and Drake start hearing from the summit.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I do get the football tie-in...was speaking more generally all the other sports. Having North Dakota jump into the league is going to tie the rivalries even tighter.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
With Creighton and Wichita leaving, the Dakota schools are kind of out of the way geographically where the league is headed. They now have no schools west of the Missouri, UNI, Drake and Missouri St are the only schools west of the Mississippi. The other schools are all located in Illinois and Indiana. If you are drawing from those states, Valpo is the best pick hands down.

The question now becomes, how long until UNI and Drake start hearing from the summit.

Jerk question on my part: Will Drake really hear from anybody?

• Funny
Reactions: heitclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I'd be surprised by UNI/Drake to Summit, but stranger things have occurred in realignment. If conference keeps heading eastward, it'd be weird to have the name Missouri Valley, wouldn't it?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'd be surprised by UNI/Drake to Summit, but stranger things have occurred in realignment. If conference keeps heading eastward, it'd be weird to have the name Missouri Valley, wouldn't it?

I thought about that i was typing, having no schools near the river, makes the name weird but hell we're part of a 10 team big 12

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron