Utoff appeal

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
If he did that he would be in violation of his obligations and would be in the same boat except with a bad rep. Bo wouldn't have to renew his scholarship.

Fantastic. Bo could kick him off the team, not renew his scholarship, etc... and then JU would be free to transfer to whatever program he wants to go to. Everyone seeing what has transpired and how Bo has handled the situation would understand exactly what JU was doing and why. It would be hard to knock the kid for it. Bo is screwing with his educational opportunities, his basketball opportunities, etc...

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Don't have any solid stats on this, but no one seems to be able to find a time where the NCAA over-ruled a member institution on something like this. It will likely have to be Wisconsin letting it go or it is not going to happen.

I've seen at least one Wisconsin reporter also mention tampering as a possible reason why Iowa State was included on this list. Note, that does not make it true but it is just that simple as to stating a reason why the Cyclones landed on the list.

Of course they are going to throw out stuff like this to make Bo look like a saint. Hope this comes back to haunt him with recruits as I would not allow my son to play for a coach who would do this to him.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
There's a possibility that the ACC thing stems from the Big10/ACC challenge and Bo doesn't want to have to play against JU in the future.

However, that is not the case with ISU. I just don't get it.

There's no doubt that's where the ACC thing comes from. He's obviously not saying "Oh I hate the ACC let's restrict him from going there." That's foolish to think that.

It's more than likely that something went on behind the scenes that made Bo not want him to come here. There's also a good chance we will never know what that is. We're just going to have to wait it out until the appeal. Plain and simple

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This whole thing is ridiculous. I am sure Bo sat down with JU and his parents in their living room. He told them how he would take care of their son, do what is in his best interests, and blah blah blah.....

Now look at how Bo is taking care of his end of the deal. Sure Bo took care of him and did what was in his best interests as long as he thought he could benefit from him on the court. Now that he is no longer going to have that benefit all bets are off and he is sticking it to him.

At what point does the NCAA step in and protect the student athlete from being victimized by their bitter ex coaching staff and university?

When the checks don't clear.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I kind of find the whole notion of transfer restrictions a little ridiculous, even within the conference. Having to see this kid twice a year at the most is going to do significant damage to your program? It makes even less sense when there never seem to be restrictions in coaches' contracts on what jobs they can leave the school for.

except for he would know all your plays and players strengths and weaknesses.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
There's no doubt that's where the ACC thing comes from. He's obviously not saying "Oh I hate the ACC let's restrict him from going there." That's foolish to think that.

It's more than likely that something went on behind the scenes that made Bo not want him to come here. There's also a good chance we will never know what that is. We're just going to have to wait it out until the appeal. Plain and simple

Bo said former WI assistant at VA called to ask permission to speak to JU, and that is when the ACC ban happened.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
What about the kids who just sign finanical aid agreements? Are they still subject to coaches controlling where they can transfer?

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
This is ridonkulous in my eyes. These kids have a limited amount of time that the NCAA will let them play. For a coach to be able to hold this over a kid is just asinine. I remember reading this earlier this year about a kid that couldn't get out of his scholarship. Should be an open door policy. Yes once they sign their letter they are locked in but if they fulfill that year and want to transfer...bon voyage.

EDIT: I am ok with the conference ban list though. That is understandable.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I heard Mcneese state and a junior college in botswana are not on the list.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
It was brought up in the comments on ESPN that Ben Brust the star sophomore guard for Bo at Wisconsin had signed an LOI to play at Iowa... was granted a release by Iowa and then signed with Wisconsin. I am shocked that Bo would have allowed Brust to join the Badger program since he didn't stick to his word and signed LOI to play for the Hawks. Bo is all about honoring committments made and doing the right thing. Interesting how quickly Brust signed with UW... maybe Bo was tampering there... :rolleyes:

The Wisconsin Badger basketball team’s off-season has been eventful to say the least.

Devon Hodges, a 6-foot-7 220-pound, forward decommitted from the Badger program. His father, Dwan Friend said, “Devon was only 15 years old when he committed. We talked it over and want to make sure that he made the commitment for himself and not for me because I was a Badger fan. I want him to live life for him and not live life for me. We just have to make sure.â€￾ He also added, “There’s no bad blood at all.â€￾

On the other hand, the Badgers may have come away with a major recruiting steal. Ben Brust signed a national letter of intent to play for Iowa last spring. Yet, after Iowa unexpectedly fired coach Todd Lickliter in March, Brust exercised his option and opted out of the scholarship. Brust, a high scoring 6-foot-2 guard, from Mundelein, Illinois instantly received attention from coaches around the country.

Big Ten bylaws prevent any player that signs a national letter of intent for one Big Ten team and then opts out to aquire a scholarship from another Big Ten school.

The University of Wisconsin and Ben Brust filed an appeal with the Big Ten, for Ben to compete in the Big Ten next season. After the first appeal failed, UW and Northwestern followed up with a second, this time successful, appeal.

A couple of days after the Big Ten ruling, Ben Brust signed scholarship papers and officially became part of the University of Wisconsin Badger’s 2010 basketball recruiting class. Brust joins center Evan Anderson and guards Duje Dukan and Josh Gasser, in Madison this fall.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Incorrect. Both the University of Botswana and Botswana College of Agriculture have been added to the list in the last hour.

Who would want to go to McNeese State?

They have been recruiting Wisconsin hard makes sense.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
It's pretty clear to me. Bo is being paid by McDermott to ban all schools except Creighton. Check his bank records!!

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There's a possibility that the ACC thing stems from the Big10/ACC challenge and Bo doesn't want to have to play against JU in the future.

However, that is not the case with ISU. I just don't get it.

Go to any random ACC school and the chance that Wisconsin will play them sometime in the next 3-4 years is pretty low.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
All JU has to go is go to Kirkwood for a year. Graduate then he will have 3 years at any place he wants to go to.

If he goes to Iowa State he has to sit out and still only has 3 years left.

Kirkwood is a win win play and still have 3 years!

I'm not sure he has to graduate, since he was a qualifier out of high school. Just stay eligible at Kirkwood and keep his grades up--

clonebanker

Mar 15, 2012
All JU has to do is contact Senator Grassley and ask if one of his aides can drop a call to the NCAA about a possible senate review of their rules. Especially since he's an Iowa kid getting bullied by a jerk coach in Wisconsin.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I'm not sure he has to graduate, since he was a qualifier out of high school. Just stay eligible at Kirkwood and keep his grades up--

He would be better off at MCC. He stated a preference not to go JUCO but he could attend a couple of classes at MCC and play for MCC. Fred can give him a key at the practice facility and he could live in Ames and essentially hang out and train with the team before and after the season.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Better call Boswell. Grassley might be too concerned he'd upset governor Walker.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron