UT@KU

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Not much of a surprise here. UT wins 35-7 on the road. KU had the ball in UT's territory down 21-7 in the third, but couldn't score and UT reeled off two quick TDs. KU at 6-5 (3-4) now with Mizzou (@ Arrowhead) left to play.

Check out the highlights on ESPN.com or somewhere to see a hell of a catch by KU WR Dezmon Briscoe. KU will likely have the best returning duo of receivers in the conference next season with Briscoe and Meier returning. Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Check out the highlights on ESPN.com or somewhere to see a hell of a catch by KU WR Dezmon Briscoe. KU will likely have the best returning duo of receivers in the conference next season with Briscoe and Meier returning. Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.

So, the fact that they graduate all three guard-center-guard offensive linemen, both defensive ends, and all three linebackers is a good thing? :wink:

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.

Teams are learning that the key to controlling Reesing is to force him to operate in the pocket. He is more prone to making mistakes when his vision is obstructed. Not allowing him to get outside limits his ability to buy time needed for long pass plays and also restricts his running threat. At best, I see him being middle of the pack next year.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
So, the fact that they graduate all three guard-center-guard offensive linemen, both defensive ends, and all three linebackers is a good thing? :wink:

I'm not really worried about the loss of those interior linemen. There are freshmen and sophomores who have been getting serious playing time at those spots already, and they are the three easiest positions to replace on an offense.

The loss of the DEs will hurt against the run, but they don't even play any more on 2nd or 3rd and 8 or more. Like the interior offensive line, they can be replaced.

The loss of the linebackers will surely hurt, though, especially against the run. Mortenson and Rivera would be great linebackers in the Big 10. They just play in the wrong league, because they are a little slow to be defending all the speed in the Big 12. The loss of James Holt, the weakside linebacker, will hurt more than anyone, I believe, and I don't see anyone on KU's rotser or on the recruiting list who can replace him effectively right now.

On paper, KU should be better next year. The schedule sets up nicely to go 6-0 before playing a stretch of OU, @TT, @KSU, NU, @UT, MU (in KC). So KU is probably looking 7-5 next year (+ or - one win either way).

After next year, KU does lose some real players, but this also coincides with getting Baylor, A&M, and OSU back on the South rotation. After '09, KU will lose Reesing, Meier, and basically every running back on the roster, and maybe Briscoe, from the offense, and Darrell Stuckey (the best player on the defense) among others.

The Orange Bowl and the new facilities have definitely helped with recruiting. I would expect to see some juco guys come in to try to fill the losses you mentioned, especially at LB.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Not much of a surprise here. UT wins 35-7 on the road. KU had the ball in UT's territory down 21-7 in the third, but couldn't score and UT reeled off two quick TDs. KU at 6-5 (3-4) now with Mizzou (@ Arrowhead) left to play.

Why not just post all this on the KU board?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Said it before, I'll say it again tonight.

Welcome back to Earth, KU. Just wish we could have held on against them earlier in the season to starting bringing them back down sooner.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
You guys are right about the defense. It hasn't been good, which is partly due to the tougher schedule, partly due to losing the D-coordinator, and partly due to the loss of McClinton and Talib.

I and most KU fans definitely underestimated the impact of the second and third of those factors.

It's going to be hard to compete at KU long-term. The best recruits KU can hope for have to pass all the Texas and Oklahoma schools up. Although the new facilities are top-notch, the stadium is, quite honestly, a joke of a BCS-school stadium, as evidenced by the track that still encircles the field. Also, as much as I've tried to defend it in the past, the fan support isn't great, and is very bandwagon-ish. I bet there was less people in Memorial in the second half today than in JT. KU was only down 14 at half and a lot of people left and never re-appeared.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Also, as much as I've tried to defend it in the past, the fan support isn't great, and is very bandwagon-ish. I bet there was less people in Memorial in the second half today than in JT. KU was only down 14 at half and a lot of people left and never re-appeared.

I noticed this as well today and thought it was odd, considering they still have a winning record.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Why do you have a Big XII board on this message board if you don't want to talk about KU vs. Texas? You didn't have to read it or post on it.
Because I find it irritating a ku fan never seems to post anything about Iowa State . . . . change you moniker.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Well, there was actually some good discussion here until Madclone decided to de-rail it.

I don't really see what's wrong what I'm doing here. I read the posts about the ISU but usually don't have as much to offer because other people have already covered it or I don't know enough about the teams to post something. Then when someone wants to discuss KU, which is in ISU's division by the way, I'll discuss that because I know more about the teams.

If you want to cry every time there's a discussion on this board that doesn't deal with ISU, you don't have to come to the Big XII board.

I don't know why people on this board want me to give up my ISU fan-ship because I also am a KU fan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron