Use your "Free $$" from Gov't for Tics

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Everyone that is having problems with paying for their football tickets or increase in NCC dues should consider using the "rebate" from the government. It is like found money so might as well use it for a good purpose!:yes:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
"Found" money? It would be smarter to stick it in a CD or money market, so that when the time comes to repay it (via higher taxes), you have most of the money. Remember that whole "national debt" thing?

Sorry. Econ major. Spent too much time in Heady. Can't help it.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
"Found" money? It would be smarter to stick it in a CD or money market, so that when the time comes to repay it (via higher taxes), you have most of the money. Remember that whole "national debt" thing?

Sorry. Econ major. Spent too much time in Heady. Can't help it.

Technically, that's exactly what the government wants the funds to be used for. Being spent, not saved. The whole purpose of this is to try to jump start the economy.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Then they should send them before June if they want us to buy Cyclone tickets.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
No way....

mine is going to save for my kid's college education. Tuition keeps going up at ISU.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Technically, that's exactly what the government wants the funds to be used for. Being spent, not saved. The whole purpose of this is to try to jump start the economy.

I'm not an economist but doesn't creating more money hurt the economy. I would think it would lower the value of the dollar quite a bit. It might stimulate the economy right now but I'm sure it will bite us in the arse later.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'm not an economist but doesn't creating more money hurt the economy. I would think it would lower the value of the dollar quite a bit. It might stimulate the economy right now but I'm sure it will bite us in the arse later.

Ding ding ding, this is a short term gain, long term loss. It is a monumental mistake, and is very short sided. It is all just politcal pandering.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

Definitely short term, but election year is also short term so whatever wins votes. I'll take it though

H

HGPuck

They aren't "creating" new money. It is the government spending money on tax payers in hopes that they will spend it which would stimulate the economy. My personal opinion is that it is too little to late but who knows. And as far as an increase in taxes goes, that has everything to do with the politics not so much something like this. In a perfect world (one many economist live in :) ) this would jump start the economy which would increase the wealth of the people in the nation so taxes would not have to increase. Only my two cents...

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
They aren't "creating" new money. It is the government spending money on tax payers in hopes that they will spend it which would stimulate the economy. My personal opinion is that it is too little to late but who knows. And as far as an increase in taxes goes, that has everything to do with the politics not so much something like this. In a perfect world (one many economist live in :) ) this would jump start the economy which would increase the wealth of the people in the nation so taxes would not have to increase. Only my two cents...
The government is in fact "creating" new money, or another way to say it, putting money in circulation that normally would not have been. The money supply is increasing dramatically overnight. Inflation is a concern of mine. Too much money chasing too few goods. Who will pay for this multi-billion dollar payout? We will, in higher taxes in the future. The rebate will not increase the wealth of the people. It will increase the income of the people in the very short term until they go out and spend it on that new plasma tv. The government will be sending $1800 to my house. If I spend it all on a tv, the local government will get 6 or 7% sales tax. For every $1 the government is giving me in this rebate, I am giving them 6 or 7 cents back, but probably $1.05 back in future taxes..........................

I think it would make more sense to simply lower tax rates across the board immediately and for the government to actually live within their means...........

H

HGPuck

Where do you think this money would have been that "is normally not in circulation"? Not in some government vault locked away. It would have been spent someplace else. The question is will spending be cut in other places to offset it being spent here.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Where do you think this money would have been that "is normally not in circulation"? Not in some government vault locked away. It would have been spent someplace else. The question is will spending be cut in other places to offset it being spent here.

Hahah, you must be new here, government spending cuts? Sorry that was mean, but, we all know there will be no spending cuts along with this. It is just politcal pandering.

H

HGPuck

Im well aware of the unbalanced government budget. Let me put it a different way, will government spending increase by the amount it would have already plus the amount from this expense. I certainly was not suggesting that they will spend an equivalent amount less to make up for this.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Isn't this rebate money ours to begin with? I am under the impression when we do our 2008 taxes, if you get a refund for taxes paid in 2008 it will be reduced by the amount already received. I thought that happened in 2001 anyways.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

I think by creating more money they mean just that. Hot off the printing press. Brand spanking new. Crisp.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Isn't this rebate money ours to begin with? I am under the impression when we do our 2008 taxes, if you get a refund for taxes paid in 2008 it will be reduced by the amount already received. I thought that happened in 2001 anyways.
]

I don't think it is a pre-rebate, I think it is just a wasteful check.

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
My wife and I have been kicking around ideas for our check and we feel we would be best served by either using it to pay off debt or sinking it into our house. Extra money to help with new windows that will make our house more efficient an increase the value down the road. Plus, by spending it on home improvements, I think we may be able to write it off.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
My wife and I have been kicking around ideas for our check and we feel we would be best served by either using it to pay off debt or sinking it into our house. Extra money to help with new windows that will make our house more efficient an increase the value down the road. Plus, by spending it on home improvements, I think we may be able to write it off.

New windows will help your value increase as well as make your energy bills lower. Might be a 2 for one on that deal.

Otherwise pay down debt.