Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep

"Megathread was like a child to me" LOL

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
@ChrisMWilliams did mention once that the orginial realignment "megathread" was so large that it was causing performance issues with the forums platform.
Yep

Wow. Did not know that. It doesn't surprise me too much though. I remember thinking how fast that thread went (in numbers) from day one. It was still going full steam week 2. I only kept tabs on it for a week or two after that.

Just so our classic uniform thread (the current one, LOL) doesn't go away. Hehe. :p It's a classic by now.

Reactions: cyclones500

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
@ChrisMWilliams did mention once that the orginial realignment "megathread" was so large that it was causing performance issues with the forums platform.
I see now that this was the 'original' megathread. The recent one, fueled by the PAC 12 defection of usc/ucla, was the one I was referring to.

Not going to look again, but I guess that one's still open. :D

Reactions: Gorm

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I grew up in the Mega Thread. It taught me how to be a man, giving me dating advice, helped me deal with family issues, and taught me how to recognize every D1 college logo and it’s location on a national map.

I can never repay you Mega Thread, but I can help your memory live on in this smaller, incredibly insignificant realignment thread.

Au revoir.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I see now that this was the 'original' megathread. The recent one, fueled by the PAC 12 defection of usc/ucla, was the one I was referring to.

Not going to look again, but I guess that one's still open. :D
I’d hope so as you posted this in it!

Reactions: t-noah

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I grew up in the Mega Thread. It taught me how to be a man, giving me dating advice, helped me deal with family issues, and taught me how to recognize every D1 college logo and it’s location on a national map.

I can never repay you Mega Thread, but I can help your memory live on in this smaller, incredibly insignificant realignment thread.

Au revoir.
"Oh, you think the megathread is your ally? But you merely adopted it; I was born in it, moulded by it!
I didn't see the in-state rivals forum until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!"
-helechopper

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
"When Big 12 presidents and athletic directors begin meeting Thursday at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Grand Hyatt, might as well bring your popcorn.

On the agenda is Gonzaga's potential membership in basketball. That alone has realignment implications beyond the Big 12. There will also be some discussion about the possible early exit of Texas and Oklahoma for the SEC."

I’d like to see Gonzaga join in basketball. But I’m not sure how a 13-team league works moving forward. Basketball is a sport that needs an even number.

That’s why I think the trick up Yormark’s sleeve would be to add 1 or 3 Big East schools as well if we got Gonzaga. You can make a case for many of them. I’m not sure how many would say yes. But the Big 12 is the best conference and would be able to offer more financial stability in a league backed by football.

Of course, many Big East schools probably remember the animosity in the old Big East when they shared a league with football schools. But money talks.

Yormark’s experience in and focus on New York City and his awareness of the power of brands makes me think that St. John’s or Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown could be targets. They probably don’t say yes - might not even take the call - but I think gauging their interest has to be part of the plan if Gonzaga gets an invite.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’d like to see Gonzaga join in basketball. But I’m not sure how a 13-team league works moving forward. Basketball is a sport that needs an even number.

That’s why I think the trick up Yormark’s sleeve would be to add 1 or 3 Big East schools as well if we got Gonzaga. You can make a case for many of them. I’m not sure how many would say yes. But the Big 12 is the best conference and would be able to offer more financial stability in a league backed by football.

Of course, many Big East schools probably remember the animosity in the old Big East when they shared a league with football schools. But money talks.

Yormark’s experience in and focus on New York City and his awareness of the power of brands makes me think that St. John’s or Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown could be targets. They probably don’t say yes - might not even take the call - but I think gauging their interest has to be part of the plan if Gonzaga gets an invite.
Gonzaga is a pawn. Talk about them to let them know we are expanding and see what the landscape is like up in the PNW. So we can say, Hey UW and UO, we’ve flown that and looked around, seems like we could work together. You still consider those two the big prize. Gonzaga just gets you a mess. You don’t focus memberships on a sport that is projected to be 20%. You focus on the 75%.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah Gonzaga wouldn't just be it. Id guess Creighton would be next, then Villanova and Uconn if they wanted 16.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah Gonzaga wouldn't just be it. Id guess Creighton would be next, then Villanova and Uconn if they wanted 16.
That's what I was thinking. I don't think you take on just one program. That would be odd. If Gonzaga comes on board, I think it's with the intention of adding at least one more, and Creighton fits all of the criteria perfectly.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonerJams

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The Big 12 is tough as hell as it is but just suppose for fun what some above have thrown out comes true and you add Gonzaga (although honestly I don’t think it’s a good idea because post Few what are they?) Creighton, Villanova and UConn or something like that. Good God better get ready for a lot of our good to really good hoop’s teams to have worse records than they would elsewhere because that would be insane.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
You can do 13 teams with an 18 game schedule mathematically. I still don’t think they add them though. They don’t bring enough value