Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It's the same with Hulu Live TV. You have to go to the home screen and then choose sports, then it'll bring ESPN+ up. But it's not on the live guide.
My ESPN+ show up on my main screen/home screen. I can get more on the sports tab. But no not in the guide.

For instance the ISU/Ku game shows right up on my main Hulu screen when I go into Hulu, as things to watch live now.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the bill becomes a law, both schools could agree to let Washington jump from the B12 to the B10 (or of course, the law could be reversed after both schools get in the B12).

Would hope that there would be a large GORs on that situation. Maybe even hip them together so that if one leaves, both get punished.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Dodd was on Sic Em 365 the other day and said something interesting. Something I sort of knew but not exactly in the way he put it. He stated that our GOR we signed was for 99 years. So there is no need to renew it. And OUT leaving at anytime, would incur exit fees that would include a GOR buyout. That even leaving in 2024/5 they will not only pay the exit penalties for leaving the conference but also a GOR penalty. Just not a Media contract penalty, for the current contract because it would be the end of the current/last contract they were part of. At least that is how I took his comments on how he read our GOR and contracts.

The way I had understood our contracts was our conference Membership contract was for 99 years or 999 years cant remember. And anytime anyone leaves there would always be a fee to leave. As there would be basically any conference, but those fees are usually negotiated and are substantially less than the fees involved with buying out Media rights.

I thought the GOR was just for the length of the media contract but was a separate contract outside the Media contract within the conference. But his comments make that sound questionable.

He placed a value on the buy out at least the current yearly rate for each year OU and UT want out early so $160M+ if it was 2 years, for just the media deal, plus other exit fees for leaving the conference and GOR etc.

The biggest problem from what I gathered from his comments and others is. Just paying the lost revenue might not be enough, while it might be enough for the conferences, They might have to agree to home games at B12 teams for non con games for a few years to give Fox some games they will lose for their content losses, etc.

So it is not just the money, but content, plus the GOR people are talking about needing a new one is not necessary because ours is still good for like 90 years apparently.

Edit: As others have stated below, Dodd is mistaken on the GOR length. Our membership is for 99 years, but the GOR is not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: agentbear and SCNCY

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dodd was on Sic Em 365 the other day and said something interesting. Something I sort of knew but not exactly in the way he put it. He stated that our GOR we signed was for 99 years. So there is no need to renew it. And OUT leaving at anytime, would incur exit fees that would include a GOR buyout. That even leaving in 2024/5 they will not only pay the exit penalties for leaving the conference but also a GOR penalty. Just not a Media contract penalty, for the current contract because it would be the end of the current/last contract they were part of. At least that is how I took his comments on how he read our GOR and contracts.

The way I had understood our contracts was our conference Membership contract was for 99 years or 999 years cant remember. And anytime anyone leaves there would always be a fee to leave. As there would be basically any conference, but those fees are usually negotiated and are substantially less than the fees involved with buying out Media rights.

I thought the GOR was just for the length of the media contract but was a separate contract outside the Media contract within the conference. But his comments make that sound questionable.

He placed a value on the buy out at least the current yearly rate for each year OU and UT want out early so $160M+ if it was 2 years, for just the media deal, plus other exit fees for leaving the conference and GOR etc.

The biggest problem from what I gathered from his comments and others is. Just paying the lost revenue might not be enough, while it might be enough for the conferences, They might have to agree to home games at B12 teams for non con games for a few years to give Fox some games they will lose for their content losses, etc.

So it is not just the money, but content, plus the GOR people are talking about needing a new one is not necessary because ours is still good for like 90 years apparently.
The bylaws were signed for 99 years. GoR was only length of current media deal.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The bylaws were signed for 99 years. GoR was only length of current media deal.
Dennis Dodd is an idiot no way it was a 99 year deal, no school would sign off on that.
See this is what my understanding was, too.

And yes I agree that Dodd is an idiot. But I was wondering if had misunderstood something.

Like you say, I always thought the Bylaws/conference membership agreement was signed for 99 years. But the GOR was only for a similar length of the Media contract.

Just wanted to make sure I had always understood it right. Seems like these media guys just pull this stuff out of their @55 all the time. I guess you just have to be a good fiction writer to be a news/sports reporter/writer.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Bylaws were 99 years, and Oklahomas idea so Texas wouldn’t leave. GOR is media deal length, as the rights are to that media deal.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’d need to hear or read what Dodd said myself. That’s a pretty big error to attribute to him second hand.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We have another board meeting scheduled ASU tomorrow… Wilner has some hints schools are getting anxious with the delayed media deal.

I can understand schools getting anxious, but the Big10 wasn't going to announce their deal until May 2022, 13 months prior to the existing media rights deal's expiration. They then delayed until August 2022 because of the USC/UCLA additions, only 10.5 months prior.

Sure having a deal in hand would bring stability for the Pac 12. But even if they hold themselves to the Big10's original timeline (end of May), they are still 4 months out. If Pac 12 Presidents are getting antsy, that would seem to indicate they aren't getting the money they want or the the distribution channels.

There has been media buzz that ESPN values the Pac12 because it gives them a late night Saturday slot, but they could put a central time zone SEC game on at 8 or 8:30pm and achieve about the same thing without paying the Pac12 an additional rights fee.

• Winner
Reactions: PickSix

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Big 12 fault

As the realignment waters settled and it became clear the Big Ten wasn’t adding more schools, the Hotline pegged valuation ranges for the Pac-12 and Big 12 as the following:

— Pac-12: $35 million to $40 million per school per year

— Big 12: $38 million to $42 million per school per year

But then the landscape changed, dramatically. The Big 12 prioritized security over cash, opting to renew its partnerships with ESPN and Fox instead of waiting a year to hit the open market.

The resulting seven-year deal, reportedly worth $31.7 million per school per year, made sense given the league’s tumultuous past. But it undercut the Pac-12’s negotiating position.

Whereas the Big Ten’s deal had served as a valuation North Star for the conference, the Big 12’s agreement became its Southern Cross to bear.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wilmer's logic is flawed in that he only thinks the respective Conferences dictate rights fees.

It couldn't be that Disney is looking to spin off ESPN.

It couldn't be economic uncertainty impacting the media rights marketplace- what's next? A smooth landing, continued inflation or recession?

It couldn't be the uncertain future with cord cutting and multi-channel platform carriage fees make media partners Leary to invest in incremental TV rights contracts running through 2030ish.

It couldn't be that ESPN & Fox only need so much inventory for their linear networks.

It couldn't be that being LAST in line means less negotiating power with potential media partners.

The Pac12 might come out alright if the media rights bull market continues.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Big 12 fault
So the Big12 panicked and took a 25% cut off their estimated value, just because "security"?? That's a remarkably dumb statement. And THAT'S why the P10 now is not getting their valuation, the "undercut"? That's possibly even a dumber statement.

A better guess might be the valuation and the contracts are apples/oranges in some way, or that the valuation was just wrong. I highly doubt Yormark settled for 25% less than what he thought the rights were worth, unless he got some incredible non-monetary yet tangible benefit (and being shown on ESPN/Fox doesn't seem like that would be it).

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
"When Big 12 presidents and athletic directors begin meeting Thursday at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Grand Hyatt, might as well bring your popcorn.

On the agenda is Gonzaga's potential membership in basketball. That alone has realignment implications beyond the Big 12. There will also be some discussion about the possible early exit of Texas and Oklahoma for the SEC."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron