Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
In the last couple of weeks it has sounded as if the Pac is going to sell most of their TV rights to Amazon. The talk became about lack of exposure. My thoughts have been that if Amazon gets them off of the 10PM time slot that it may increase their exposure. I enjoy watching a decent Pac matchup because they remind me of the Big12.

Getting your wife to agree to Amazon Prime is easy... what wife doesn't already have free shipping? I've even enjoyed the NFL Thursday games.

However, if this article is true their exposure is going to be as bad as the Pac12 Network:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
In the last couple of weeks it has sounded as if the Pac is going to sell most of their TV rights to Amazon. The talk became about lack of exposure. My thoughts have been that if Amazon gets them off of the 10PM time slot that it may increase their exposure. I enjoy watching a decent Pac matchup because they remind me of the Big12.

Getting your wife to agree to Amazon Prime is easy... what wife doesn't already have free shipping? I've even enjoyed the NFL Thursday games.

However, if this article is true their exposure is going to be as bad as the Pac12 Network:

The Pac 10 will be dead before this gets up and running.

Reactions: aauummm

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So it kinda sounds like the PAC will have a bigger overall media deal than us, but their exposure will continue to fall behind and hurt their brand. Media will laugh at the Big 12 for trying to poach some of their schools, But, we’ll probably get the last laugh as the PAC coni ties to fall behind.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So it kinda sounds like the PAC will have a bigger overall media deal than us, but their exposure will continue to fall behind and hurt their brand. Media will laugh at the Big 12 for trying to poach some of their schools, But, we’ll probably get the last laugh as the PAC coni ties to fall behind.

I wouldn’t mind if it stayed status quo. But they are one domino from being obliterated. When that happens they are in a far worse position than big 12 was in all of our reshuffles.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Not surprising. I've gotta imagine the backend of trying to stream live sports is completely different than recorded content (buffering and such). So having a separate app might end up with better results. And they cannot continue to package everything together as the cost of the football content is only going up. Question will be what that sports package costs and how popular it will be. Cause I'm not sure I'd pay more for TNF with some of the terrible games they had in there. I doubt the PAC moves the needle for many either.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I will turn on a Pac-10 game when it's late and I see a game is on when I'm scrolling through the channels. Zero chance this happens if I have to go to Prime and seek their games out. The rest of the country already doesn't care about West Coast college athletics in general. This isn't going to help.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I will turn on a Pac-10 game when it's late and I see a game is on when I'm scrolling through the channels. Zero chance this happens if I have to go to Prime and seek their games out. The rest of the country already doesn't care about West Coast college athletics in general. This isn't going to help.
Especially if I have to pay extra for that viewing. I have Prime and watch TNF and shows, but will not pay for any add-on viewing.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Especially if I have to pay extra for that viewing. I have Prime and watch TNF and shows, but will not pay for any add-on viewing.
I don’t think the cost will go up, if it does the ratings will plummet to nothing. It’s all about targeted ads for Amazon not getting subscription dollars.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
100% this

• Agree
Reactions: aeroclone

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I have Prime so if they have a decent match up or the best game available, I'll absolutely turn it on. I stream only, so no flipping channels and accidentally finding games for me. My point is that I'm not going to pay extra for Prime Sports app unless Iowa State is on it.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
PAC negociations have been quiet. You'd think schedules would need to be solidified. That going to be a cluster when several come to the Big12 :)

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Funny you say this. Coincidentally I was talking to a Cyclone buddy tonight about Saturday’s game at KU being on ESPN+. In the previous decade that game is on the flagship or at least the Deuce. So the network puts a marquee match up on Plus to push their streaming service. Problem is no fan goes to Plus to watch anything but their own team’s games. So pretty much only Clone and Jayhawk fans are watching Saturday’s game. College sports becomes very fragmented on the streaming services.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Funny you say this. Coincidentally I was talking to a Cyclone buddy tonight about Saturday’s game at KU being on ESPN+. In the previous decade that game is on the flagship or at least the Deuce. So the network puts a marquee match on Plus to push their streaming service. Problem is no fan goes to Plus to watch anything but their own team’s games. So pretty much only Clone and Jayhawk fans are watching Saturday’s game. College sports becomes very fragmented on the streaming services.
Actually I have Hulu+ and ESPN+ programming is included on Hulu+. But I agree with your post, having the game on ESPN+ is terrible. It should be a featured game where more people will be able to see it. There is definitely a down side to all of the different streaming services.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Funny you say this. Coincidentally I was talking to a Cyclone buddy tonight about Saturday’s game at KU being on ESPN+. In the previous decade that game is on the flagship or at least the Deuce. So the network puts a marquee match on Plus to push their streaming service. Problem is no fan goes to Plus to watch anything but their own team’s games. So pretty much only Clone and Jayhawk fans are watching Saturday’s game. College sports becomes very fragmented on the streaming services.
Not sure I agree entirely. I have only ESPN+ and find myself watching other games on that. BUT, I agree it's a 'diluted' offering which means fewer eyes. That said, I see that changing as more and more, ESPN pushes marquee games to it. The reasons for that are many. I was in publishing early on and learned magazines can get too large to sustain the advertising revenue necessary to cover the corresponding costs. I suspect 'broadcast' is the same. In other words, dicing up the bigger pie with more regionalized advertising and more focused advertising is probably a bigger dollar per eyeball. Just spitballing here, but guessing I'm right.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
  • Informative

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Well, so much for Washington going to the Big 10. No way they want Washington State in a package deal
no way this materializes into anything real. this is just politicians trying to get in the good graces of their constituents. pretty sure that Oklahoma tried the same thing during one of the previous rounds of realignment.

Last edited:

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
Washington and Washington State might get tied together.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into this yet. Any legislator can propose a bill. This it the type of thing legislators near the school do to maintain popularity.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron