Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The Amazon involvement with the Big10 is interesting. But it would seem like that would only make sense if the Big10 added 4-6 more teams beyond the 16. And some high profile teams at that.

I can't believe NBC or CBS are going to give up premier Big10 games each week. Fox is going to want a top game for it's Big Noon slot as well.

So does Amazon see value in showing the 4th or 5th best Big10 game each week?
Well Amazon gains a lot of content with 6 west coast teams, including USCLA. That is a ton of content, that can be negotiated and split, and gives enough for the late time zone.

The only interest for the late time zones would be Streamers, Amazon, Peacock, Paramount, or ESPN, FS1 Right now ESPN is out, but could come back in for the west coast/late window. So could Amazon.

The contract allows them to add another partner for the west coast/late window/additional teams. So does that mean the additional partner would get the best games of those teams on the west coast, including USCLA, and also be able to negotiate trading other Tier 2 and 3 games and content with other B1G members and partners? Meaning Amazon runs USC/Washington game, and trades Stanford/UCLA to Fox for Iowa/Minnesota. Who knows? I dont know the exact contract details or how they will detail the fine print for an added partner.

What I do know is they can add a partner for additional west coast/time zone content. That to me means these media members would rather offer the B1G for the best of the Pac, with some B1G content, than just the Pac Best teams left and the not so good too, with no B1G or having to negotiate that separate.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Well Amazon gains a lot of content with 6 west coast teams, including USCLA. That is a ton of content, that can be negotiated and split, and gives enough for the late time zone.

The only interest for the late time zones would be Streamers, Amazon, Peacock, Paramount, or ESPN, FS1 Right now ESPN is out, but could come back in for the west coast/late window. So could Amazon.

The contract allows them to add another partner for the west coast/late window/additional teams. So does that mean the additional partner would get the best games of those teams on the west coast, including USCLA, and also be able to negotiate trading other Tier 2 and 3 games and content with other B1G members and partners? Meaning Amazon runs USC/Washington game, and trades Stanford/UCLA to Fox for Iowa/Minnesota. Who knows? I dont know the exact contract details or how they will detail the fine print for an added partner.

What I do know is they can add a partner for additional west coast/time zone content. That to me means these media members would rather offer the B1G for the best of the Pac, with some B1G content, than just the Pac Best teams left and the not so good too, with no B1G or having to negotiate that separate.
But USC & UCLA were part of the Big10 when their recent media rights deal was announced. So I would expect NBC & CBS would have valued their investment based on game options that included USC & UCLA.

If your saying NBC & CBS agreed to their investment based on the Big 10's existing 14 teams and the Big10 indicated during July that Pac12 school's could fall under a separate Amazon agreement that was a brilliant move by the Big10.

Not only do they have agreements with 3 of 4 major networks, but THE dominant streaming platform.

It seems critical for Big10 that Whisky and Huskers get their upcoming coaching hires right. Especially now that some of the luster is gone from Mel Tucker & MSU

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
But USC & UCLA were part of the Big10 when their recent media rights deal was announced. So I would expect NBC & CBS would have valued their investment based on game options that included USC & UCLA.

If your saying NBC & CBS agreed to their investment based on the Big 10's existing 14 teams and the Big10 indicated during July that Pac12 school's could fall under a separate Amazon agreement that was a brilliant move by the Big10.

Not only do they have agreements with 3 of 4 major networks, but THE dominant streaming platform.

It seems critical for Big10 that Whisky and Huskers get their upcoming coaching hires right. Especially now that some of the luster is gone from Mel Tucker & MSU
Honestly, I dont know the exact details are beyond knowing there is a clause that allows them to add another media partner. Particularly if they add more west coast teams. My feeling is that partner would be allowed a certain amount of content already agreed upon by the other partners.

My guess is they would get the new content, and be in line for other content after the other partners get their choice.

Look at this weekend, Big 10 games, BTN has 3 games, Fox has 1, and ABC has 1, FS1 has 1(Fri, no room sat). For example

New contract. Basically says each week Fox/FS1 gets 2games, NBC gets 1, CBS gets 1, Peacock gets 8per season(probably noncon when extra games available), BTN get rest.

Now, they are going to add 2 teams, means another game each week, 2 on non con weeks. If they add 4 more teams that is 2 more games per week, 4 on non con weeks.

ESPN/ABC gets none so move the 1 game that is on to NBC
Fox/FS1 gets 2 same
CBS picks up the 1 gained game from adding 2 teams USCLA
BTN still has 3 game per week.

Adding 4 teams means 2 games without a slot per week. Plus the 4 Games per non con game. This is why they can add a partner. 4 teams gives them a minimum 2 games per week that have no slot available, for whatever time slots the new partner wants all season. And no I would not say it would have to be limited to just the 4 teams added. They would have a choice detailed in the contract of games just like the rest do, for the games available, but higher priority for the new teams than the others would be my guess.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Honestly, I dont know the exact details are beyond knowing there is a clause that allows them to add another media partner. Particularly if they add more west coast teams. My feeling is that partner would be allowed a certain amount of content already agreed upon by the other partners.

My guess is they would get the new content, and be in line for other content after the other partners get their choice.

Look at this weekend, Big 10 games, BTN has 3 games, Fox has 1, and ABC has 1, FS1 has 1(Fri, no room sat). For example

New contract. Basically says each week Fox/FS1 gets 2games, NBC gets 1, CBS gets 1, Peacock gets 8per season(probably noncon when extra games available), BTN get rest.

Now, they are going to add 2 teams, means another game each week, 2 on non con weeks. If they add 4 more teams that is 2 more games per week, 4 on non con weeks.

ESPN/ABC gets none so move the 1 game that is on to NBC
Fox/FS1 gets 2 same
CBS picks up the 1 gained game from adding 2 teams USCLA
BTN still has 3 game per week.

Adding 4 teams means 2 games without a slot per week. Plus the 4 Games per non con game. This is why they can add a partner. 4 teams gives them a minimum 2 games per week that have no slot available, for whatever time slots the new partner wants all season. And no I would not say it would have to be limited to just the 4 teams added. They would have a choice detailed in the contract of games just like the rest do, for the games available, but higher priority for the new teams than the others would be my guess.
The Fox relationship with Big10 is the curious aspect of the Big10 media rights.

With Fox potentially losing Pac12 & Big12 as partners in their upcoming negotiations, Fox could potentially have open time slots.

Then there is the BTN which Fox owns- do they have a vested interest in growing their game inventory. Or do they financially benefit if the Big10 brings on additional partners like Amazon.

Like you, I don't have the answers, but it is interesting that media partners are lining up to televise Big10 games. Meanwhile the SEC is quietly on the sidelines. We think! Who knows after what happened with oUt.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Seems they have a lot of excuses.

Wouldn't it be better to just say "meh, we don't really care, about sports ball"

In the end, if they cared, a 45 min drive, a beach, or all the other wonderful things they have to do would not matter if the fans they have cared, but they don't. So instead of coming up with all the excuses, just say, watching sports is not that important and they would rather be doing anything else.

I think that is part of the problem, people act like they are such an important program, but their viewership numbers show the opposite. Then when people point this out, they come up with all these excuses, which doesn't make it any better. It just means they have excuses for why they have other things to do than watch these programs, basically proving all the points of people that point out that no one cares about them. These excuses just give proof that people don't care and have reasons not to.
I don't know that I would have driven 45 minutes to get to a game when I was in college. We could just walk over and get drunk on the way. Probably not as great an effect on non-college attendees, but students are a good chunk of any home crowd.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The Fox relationship with Big10 is the curious aspect of the Big10 media rights.

With Fox potentially losing Pac12 & Big12 as partners in their upcoming negotiations, Fox could potentially have open time slots.

Then there is the BTN which Fox owns- do they have a vested interest in growing their game inventory. Or do they financially benefit if the Big10 brings on additional partners like Amazon.

Like you, I don't have the answers, but it is interesting that media partners are lining up to televise Big10 games. Meanwhile the SEC is quietly on the sidelines. We think! Who knows after what happened with oUt.
Here is my take on that.

Fox would lose content with the PAC, But potentially gain content with the Big 12. They would also gain content for the BTN, and gain some game choices involving those new teams in the Big 10, however they work out the weekly game choices.

So They get who they want in the Big 10, for the price they want/already settled. Then negotiate for who and what they want in the Big 12. Thus eliminating a contract with the Pac 12, but keeping the same/similar content with their preferred teams.

All this is speculation, of course, but it is a scenario how/why Fox would be willing to go along with this.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Not Pac related but Kansas getting big headed thinking their improved football success will make them more attractive to the Big 10. I guess that is true, but 5 games in, they have stepped up their message board clamor for the Big 10 - or the SEC.

• Funny
Reactions: Clonedogg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not Pac related but Kansas getting big headed thinking their improved football success will make them more attractive to the Big 10. I guess that is true, but 5 games in, they have stepped up their message board clamor for the Big 10 - or the SEC.
See what the LA schools do but up this point the big 10 made you have wrestling. See if the LA schools start up programs.

• Informative
Reactions: Clonedogg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron