Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We do not have a spot in the Big 10 or SEC. We never will. Elevating other teams is the way we avoided playing Tulsa or San Jose State every year
Agreed. We made that work, but I'm not in favor or doing it anymore. We did it for survival. There aren't any more valuable ones there, or else we would be at 14.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think it is pretty clear that Warren and Yormack are working together. IMO that is the best case scenario for the Big 12.

I would have to disagree to an extent. I assume the Big 12 has been using these partners well before Yormack was hired, or even potentially interviewed (if Endeavor was hired by Yormack, then I take this back). I think people are reading too much in to us using the same partners as the Big 10 does. It could have been a simple discussion to the tune of 'the Big 10 is having great branding and success, maybe we should use the same vendors as they do for the Big 12.'

I do think that Warren would like to have Yormack as a political ally to counterweight the moves of the SEC when deciding how college football will look in the future.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some of those schools have fans that care though, the fact that schools like Cal and UCLA get to survive is much worse. Those programs disappearing would have almost no impact on the campuses or cities the play in. Those football Saturdays in Corvallis and Pullman are a big deal for those cities for tons of reasons.

If Ore st, wsu and one or two Montana schools joined mwc, the northern part of mwc would have lots of close rivalries. More than wac or mwc has ever had and crazy for a part of the country withought straight roads where nothing is an easy drive.

Boise St would have like six drivable rivals when in the mwc/wac a lot of teams have never had any.

It’s a better geographic fit than Pac 12 was. That’s the only silver lining. It’s nothing like ISU joining mwc or aac where we’d have been a geographic outlier and also taking step down in competition and money.

Reactions: heitclone

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Defiantly not getting SEC or B1G money.

2020 viewership proved that TV timeslots MATTER as much or more than brands. Put ISU vs KU this Saturday on CBS at 3:30 and they'll do 4+ million.
The problem is that going forward, non B10 and SEC conferences will get fewer of the best network/time slots. A Michigan v. USC game that didn’t used to existed, will get priority; for example.

• Agree
Reactions: KidSilverhair

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Agreed. We made that work, but I'm not in favor or doing it anymore. We did it for survival. There aren't any more valuable ones there, or else we would be at 14.
Idk about that, since it seems very obvious there were others we looked at and that Memphis and Boise State were told "hold on, you're next". SMU and SDSU may have also been told that.

That said, if we have P5 options we should look at them. Some of the G5s are better picks, such as San Diego State over Cal. We can afford to be a bit more picky now though since 1 conference is unstable and another is a ticking time bomb

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Makes me sick for WSU and OSU, and any other that may be left behind. This will be the first P5 conference that folds and leaves P5 programs looking to join G5. Those schools don't deserve that. They seem to be better programs than Vandy, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.
Agreed. Not the first time, SWC and Big East left teams behind.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
We would have had a better chance of getting grabbed by the ACC than the PAC I think in that scenario. The ACC could have very well grabbed WVU and ISU, maybe a couple more if the Big 12 was fully falling apart like that.

Now the Big 12 has a better chance of doing the opposite. Adding schools from the best of what is left of those conferences, or merging with one or both.
Even with their current GORs, would we have split their money further and reduced payouts? Not sure we would have been taken, or anyone else for that matter.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Even with their current GORs, would we have split their money further and reduced payouts? Not sure we would have been taken, or anyone else for that matter.

Based on the current Pac 12's current bid from ESPN, we may have helped increased their payouts. The feelings I get when reading about media deals it that our next deal will be about the same as it is now.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I was responding to the comment that the ACC would have taken us and that we wouldn’t have been left behind when not chosen by the PAC. I think we need to brace for disappointment with the numbers we see. It’s not that the B12 can’t draw, it’s that the growing SEC and BIG have more inventory to take the best slots.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I do think that Warren would like to have Yormack as a political ally to counterweight the moves of the SEC when deciding how college football will look in the future.
Sort of like how the US likes to have the UK as an ally. We're not really a threat, but occasionally useful as a "partner" when we align with them.

That said, I think what the B1G wants CFB to be is more healthy for the Big12 than what the SEC wants (ie what ESPN wants - NFL lite; super league and NAIA; money is not everything, its the ONLY thing). The B1G does have some actual concern about academics and student athletes, and I think they want to be the biggest show in town, but they don't need to be the ONLY show in town.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Sort of like how the US likes to have the UK as an ally. We're not really a threat, but occasionally useful as a "partner" when we align with them.

That said, I think what the B1G wants CFB to be is more healthy for the Big12 than what the SEC wants (ie what ESPN wants - NFL lite; super league and NAIA; money is not everything, its the ONLY thing). The B1G does have some actual concern about academics and student athletes, and I think they want to be the biggest show in town, but they don't need to be the ONLY show in town.
What leads you to say that about the B1G motives?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The weird part is that now most of those schools found their way back into power conferences. The final 4 left outs are
Rice - Horrendous
SMU - Top 3 candidate for the Pac 12 and probably high on the Big 12s list if we need to dip back into the G5 pool again.
USF - Horendous
UCONN - Was always around the Big 12 expansion talk until they gave up on football
I was responding to the comment that the ACC would have taken us and that we wouldn’t have been left behind when not chosen by the PAC. I think we need to brace for disappointment with the numbers we see. It’s not that the B12 can’t draw, it’s that the growing SEC and BIG have more inventory to take the best slots.
Theres some buzz out today that you are incorrect

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If I’m being honest I don’t actually know the difference between ESPNU and the other ESPN’s at my house. They are all lined up and I can watch whichever game I want and I am not sure at the end of the day which espn I am watching
I agree. I'm not sure if ESPNU is part of ESPN+. Can somebody let me know before I have to google it?

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008

What actions by the BIG have you seen that indicate they want CFB to be "more healthy"?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The payout disparity and resulting financial losses are far more devastating now than what they were back when the SWC and Big East left teams behind. And due to that, the political/financial pressure to keep both Oregon St and Wazzu from being relegated is exponentially increased.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: WhoISthis and cayin

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The payout disparity and resulting financial losses are far more devastating now than what they were back when the SWC and Big East left teams behind. And due to that, the political/financial pressure to keep both Oregon St and Wazzu from being relegated is exponentially increased.

I don't see how that could be a concern since their Grant of Rights ends in 2024. Unless a new one is signed, no schools owe anything to any other school in that conference. If all the other schools find a power conference home and those two don't, there is nothing they can do.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86