Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I’m guessing the PAC implodes in less than 60 days. If the Big Ten doesn’t want the optics of killing the pac (ridiculous because they already did) then there should be some closed door meetings with the few pac schools, big 12, and big ten.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Before my time.

Until you got to Studebaker, I thought you were referencing some Bruce Willis/Don Johnson movie.;)

If the Big12 can have schools from 15ish major state universities- there would be broad interest from an extensive alumni base.

Way before mine too if you don't count American Motors

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I’m guessing the PAC implodes in less than 60 days. If the Big Ten doesn’t want the optics of killing the pac (ridiculous because they already did) then there should be some closed door meetings with the few pac schools, big 12, and big ten.
Part of me thinks FOX/ESPN will "use" the Big 12 to achieve the goal of destroying the PAC12. They can make the Big 12 the 3rd Power conference and incentivize us to poach the corner 4. Then BIG10 (aka FOX) can get Wash/Ore/Stanford and a reduced rate to appease the current members to keep their profits. Big 10 wants to avoid the PR and potential lawsuit being floated by just taking those 3 first and this is a way around it. Fox gets the content they want and keeps the Big 10 happy.

Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Makes me sick for WSU and OSU, and any other that may be left behind. This will be the first P5 conference that folds and leaves P5 programs looking to join G5. Those schools don't deserve that. They seem to be better programs than Vandy, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Makes me sick for WSU and OSU, and any other that may be left behind. This will be the first P5 conference that folds and leaves P5 programs looking to join G5. Those schools don't deserve that. They seem to be better programs than Vandy, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.
Would like to see Houston and UCF ditched to save Oregon St and Wazzu.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Some of those schools have fans that care though, the fact that schools like Cal and UCLA get to survive is much worse. Those programs disappearing would have almost no impact on the campuses or cities the play in. Those football Saturdays in Corvallis and Pullman are a big deal for those cities for tons of reasons.

Sep 10, 2015

To be fair”hundreds of millions” isn’t quite as much as it seems when you put it in context. They said on the pod that that figure is over the course of the contract, presumably at least 5 years.

So for example let’s say $200m over 5 years, that’s $40m. Now divide that by 10 teams now it becomes $4m per team.

So it’s possible the Pac12 is asking for $50m per-team, per-year average over the length of the contract and ESPN is offering $46m.

As a starting point for the negotiations that might be pretty normal (I really have no idea, just speculating).

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
“Makes me sick for WSU and OSU, and any other that may be left behind. This will be the first P5 conference that folds and leaves P5 programs looking to join G5. Those schools don't deserve that. They seem to be better programs than Vandy, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.”

That and if we are being non biased and truthful Iowa State wasn’t that far off of being a WSU or OSU. Pollard made 2 terrific hires and suddenly we get to turn our nose up at those trying to get to where we are at.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind
Sep 10, 2015
I am pretty sure that game value goes up exponentially by viewers. i.e. 6M watching a game is worth much more than 3x of whatever 3 games with 2M viewers each is. That's why the SuperBowl sells ads for $1M per second, and CCGs are paid at $20-30M for a single game. I think I did an guesstimate of game value by viewers about 300 pages ago in this thread.

If the Big12 got ALL the prime windows, it would get much better numbers. But B1G and SEC in those windows get marginally better numbers, and those are worth a lot more due to the exponential curve. e.g. if an SEC game at noon on Fox gets 20% more viewers than 2 Big12 teams in the same slot, its worth a lot more than 20% extra in $$ to Fox.

But this works for Big12 vs Pac12 too. There is just more interest in Texas and the midwest than the Pacific coast. So that exponential curve helps the Big12 vs the Pac12 valuations. That's the riposte to Stewie.
I’ve noticed the same thing - the value in terms of media rights seems to grow exponentially as opposed to linearly, but I’ve never seen a good explanation for why. It would be interesting to read an explanation for why advertisers are willing to pay a lot more than twice as much for 4m viewers as they would for 2m viewers. Maybe something to do with fixed cost business models?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
“Makes me sick for WSU and OSU, and any other that may be left behind. This will be the first P5 conference that folds and leaves P5 programs looking to join G5. Those schools don't deserve that. They seem to be better programs than Vandy, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.”

That and if we are being non biased and truthful Iowa State wasn’t that far off of being a WSU or OSU. Pollard made 2 terrific hires and suddenly we get to turn our nose up at those trying to get to where we are at.
I don’t know if people are turning their nose up as much as they are just acknowledging truth in how royally f*cked they probably are.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Yeah but when you look at the SEC and Big Ten numbers compared to the top Big 12 numbers this year, you already see a very noticeable difference.
This isn't about the SEC or Big 10, which Stew also misunderstands. We know we're never going to match their revenue. But being the third conference is huge, and the Big 12 is in decent shape to be that conference. At the least, in better position than the Pac 12 based on stability alone.

Reactions: PickSix

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If I’m being honest I don’t actually know the difference between ESPNU and the other ESPN’s at my house. They are all lined up and I can watch whichever game I want and I am not sure at the end of the day which espn I am watching
The production and announcing crew goes down in quality the further away you get from ESPN.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron