Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It would be good to see some more concrete numbers for Pac 12 and Big 12. On one hand, the Big 12 should obviously be much better off. On the other hand, if the Pac 12 and ESPN are hundreds of millions off, that could signify a lesser value for both.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It would be good to see some more concrete numbers for Pac 12 and Big 12. On one hand, the Big 12 should obviously be much better off. On the other hand, if the Pac 12 and ESPN are hundreds of millions off, that could signify a lesser value for both.

And is a wide gap unusual at the beginning of the negotiation? It seems like a hella wide gap, but maybe it's somewhat typical?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
As more bidders get legitimately engaged (e.g. Amazon), the “off” number will be greatly reduced, especially with an expanded B12 package.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The BYU and Baylor game had record viewership in the late window. That's all you need to know on TV payout futures
Yeah but when you look at the SEC and Big Ten numbers compared to the top Big 12 numbers this year, you already see a very noticeable difference.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The BYU and Baylor game had record viewership in the late window. That's all you need to know on TV payout futures
I think the big12 will be fine but that record number with 2 ranked teams playing was still barely over 2 million. I don't care how many times pac12 writers talk about the late window on Saturdays but when the record is that small it really cant be that valuable to networks.

Reactions: VeloClone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the big12 will be fine but that record number with 2 ranked teams playing was still barely over 2 million. I don't care how many times pac12 writers talk about the late window on Saturdays but when the record is that small it really cant be that valuable to networks.
2 million watching ads vs 10 million watching something on DVR and skipping ads is still a pretty big deal. However, that 2 million is miniscule by comparison to the 8-10 million that will watch an SEC or Big 10 game on Saturday. The top Big 12 game usually gets ~4 million if I recall correctly. Could be way off, but the point stands.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Yeah but when you look at the SEC and Big Ten numbers compared to the top Big 12 numbers this year, you already see a very noticeable difference.
Defiantly not getting SEC or B1G money.
2020 viewership proved that TV timeslots MATTER as much or more than brands. Put ISU vs KU this Saturday on CBS at 3:30 and they'll do 4+ million.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Defiantly not getting SEC or B1G money.

2020 viewership proved that TV timeslots MATTER as much or more than brands. Put ISU vs KU this Saturday on CBS at 3:30 and they'll do 4+ million.

And this is why I hate when some people are like "i didn't want to be ranked anyway" when we get under-ranked (not saying right at this moment). Rankings=better timeslots=better ratings=raised value of the program.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I am pretty sure that game value goes up exponentially by viewers. i.e. 6M watching a game is worth much more than 3x of whatever 3 games with 2M viewers each is. That's why the SuperBowl sells ads for $1M per second, and CCGs are paid at $20-30M for a single game. I think I did an guesstimate of game value by viewers about 300 pages ago in this thread.

If the Big12 got ALL the prime windows, it would get much better numbers. But B1G and SEC in those windows get marginally better numbers, and those are worth a lot more due to the exponential curve. e.g. if an SEC game at noon on Fox gets 20% more viewers than 2 Big12 teams in the same slot, its worth a lot more than 20% extra in $$ to Fox.

But this works for Big12 vs Pac12 too. There is just more interest in Texas and the midwest than the Pacific coast. So that exponential curve helps the Big12 vs the Pac12 valuations. That's the riposte to Stewie.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron