Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
When the emails etc came out from UNC etc, there were talks of a merger floated between the ACC and PAC, since then there have been a few media types floating the idea that the ACC and Big 12 have either talked or talking about it.

Whether that is complete smoke or anything real who knows. I would not doubt there have been at least the idea floated, but further than that who knows. My feeling is all of these possibilities either have been or are being looked at, at least in some form. Whether any of it goes anywhere that is really anyone's guess.

My guess is a lot of what has been said out there is just people guessing that because they floated the merger with the Pac that the Big 12 is being talked to as well, but who knows. My post was just in whatever scenario these mergers are being looked at, I would think a merger with the ACC would be at least favorable to other options, if it were possible. And more so for both parties than anything with the PAC.
I hate the idea of merging with anyone at all but I'm way more into an ACC merger than a PAC merger

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I hate the idea of merging with anyone at all but I'm way more into an ACC merger than a PAC merger
The strongest competitor to the Big10 & SEC would seem to be a merger of some teams from the Big12, Pac12 & ACC. A combination of schools from all 3 conferences would seem to maximize revenue and help put the most teams in the CFB Playoff.

The luster of the Pac12 four corner schools has taken a hit, or the reality of their situation is apparent since they have hit the field. Arizona & CU not being very good. And ASU struggling with Herm Edwards violations & now firing. But Utah is a top 10-20 program and overall I think Pac12 schools will benefit from playing games against teams in ACC & Big12.

The addition of ACC teams with be great compliments to WVU, Cincy and UCF.

In the end a 20-24 team BigPacACC is the strongest competitor to Big10 & SEC.

Reactions: ISUalways

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The strongest competitor to the Big10 & SEC would seem to be a merger of some teams from the Big12, Pac12 & ACC. A combination of schools from all 3 conferences would seem to maximize revenue and help put the most teams in the CFB Playoff.

The luster of the Pac12 four corner schools has taken a hit, or the reality of their situation is apparent since they have hit the field. Arizona & CU not being very good. And ASU struggling with Herm Edwards violations & now firing. But Utah is a top 10-20 program and overall I think Pac12 schools will benefit from playing games against teams in ACC & Big12.

My thinking is though that a merger may be the only way around the GOR, besides a major collusion of schools and conferences that is extremely unlikely.

Therefore, the ACC may be more likely to entertain a merger with another conference in order to renegotiate their terrible deal and also strengthen their negotiations for said deal. That being said the Big 12 seems to be a better option for them being the more stable group, better travel fit, and currently better valued group than the PAC. That being said what is the limit. In the end if there is a merger, the PAC falls apart where do these conferences stop? 20, 24, 28, 32? 64? all under one league? I really dont think this is ever going to stop.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
so what are we talking here, a merger of the best name programs left among the 3? So something like
North Carolina, Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Okie State, Washington, Oregon, Utah, BYU, who else?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have said since USCLA that "strength in numbers" was the big12s best strategy.

And as much as i love the idea of the M4 schools as big state school anchors, they dont add lots of value and stretch the conference geography a lot, since WV and UCF already hold down the east coast.

But a merger, maybe. FULL merger would be 14+12+10=36 schools. Thats half the P5 at present, far too much to ignore. You could basically have 3 or 4 divisions for practical purposes and to preserve rivalries. Obviously it would be THE basketball conference.

Challenge would be it wouldnt make the money of the P2. So there would still be maybe 6 or 10 teams valuable to the P2, and inherent instability from that. You might have to find a way to let the bigger schools monetize their T3 rights so you can entice them without flat out unequal revenue sharing on overall tv contracts.

Idk, crazier and dumber ideas have been mooted.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
so what are we talking here, a merger of the best name programs left among the 3? So something like
North Carolina, Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Okie State, Washington, Oregon, Utah, BYU, who else?
I would think that group is too spread out to be a viable conference. No really fan friendly.

I also don't think Big10/SEC are done adding teams. But not sure we will see further realignment until the playoff timing and financial split is agreed upon.

In the end, I think Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Miami, Clemson, UNC, UVA and a few others will end up in the SEC/Big10.

The BigPacACC will be made up of 20-24 schools - kinda like the island of misfit toys. We'll thrive with a little love.

But we might not see all this play out until 2030.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I thought FOX was out of Pac interest?

That's what I thought too, unless something changed on the Fox side.

Just speculating, but if ESPN wants to make realignment moves using the PAC 12, they'd be in a better spot since they are actually at the table. Maybe Fox is joining the table so they could have similar discussions?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
On the flip side, I saw that LIV golf is PAYING to be on Fox, along with being responsible for ad sales and production costs. What a crazy opposite.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
On the flip side, I saw that LIV golf is PAYING to be on Fox, along with being responsible for ad sales and production costs. What a crazy opposite.

I keep pointing out how silly people are who talk about market principles with LIV, as if LIV is exposing something about the marketplace for golf talent.

Imagine the Big 12 paying money to be on TV vs getting a primary source of income for its programs to be televised. The closest thing are the rumors about Phill Knight if he just paid Fox or ESPN directly for them to add Oregon as a Big Ten team, it has nothing to do with Oregon football's value and everything to do with Phill Knight's personal whims.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

The luster of the late night time slot still remains.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Sounds like Nash, Hudson, Packard, and Studebaker joining up to take on GM.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Haven't followed every twist and turn now that football season is underway, but this seems notable.

I have not followed this discussion. However, if I was an Oregon State or Washington State fan I would be crapping my pants. They are screwed. If the big ten snatches up those 4 teams, The big 12 will almost certainly get the other 4. Which means the best those two could hope for would be the Mountain West.

Cysmoked

Sep 27, 2022
I have not followed this discussion. However, if I was an Oregon State or Washington State fan I would be crapping my pants. They are screwed. If the big ten snatches up those 4 teams, The big 12 will almost certainly get the other 4. Which means the best those two could hope for would be the Mountain West.
Do you vote?

• Dumb
Reactions: Ayagi