Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I will agree that neither the B10 nor ND needs each other now, but to think that ND does not have leverage over any conference they chose is silly. They are ND, its as simple as that, they do what they want, when they want. As long as they have a way into the playoff, they will stay independent, until that changes, nothing will happen. They are not USC, UCLA or other schools that need the money, they are flush with it from their alumni and boosters. They are unique in college football, and that is why the B10 wants and hates them all at the same time. They are the one school that cannot be bought.
Agree, if independent ND can get a deal for even just $60 mill/year and still have a path to the playoff, they'll never join a conference. If that path to the playoff becomes threatened in 5-10 years and they're forced to join a conference, the B1G will have leverage because ND's only other realistic option at that point would be the SEC and there's no way ND donors, alum, faculty, admin would allow that to happen.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Agree, if independent ND can get a deal for even just $60 mill/year and still have a path to the playoff, they'll never join a conference. If that path to the playoff becomes threatened in 5-10 years and they're forced to join a conference, the B1G will have leverage because ND's only other realistic option at that point would be the SEC and there's no way ND donors, alum, faculty, admin would allow that to happen.

Independents and non P2 conferences will never lose access to the playoffs. If they do, there will be a big antitrust lawsuit coming the P2s way.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
People for years have been saying the same thing about Texas, they will never follow aTm and never join the SEC, but that is where they are headed.
ND is ND, no league has any leverage over them, they will do, what they determine to be best for them, not the B10, SEC or any other league.

Does ND to the B10 make the most sense, sure it does, but if anyone continues to think that ND is going to act like Oregon or Stanford and sit waiting for that golden ticket to the B10, they could be in for a major letdown.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
This is a weird, sad flex attempt by the Mountain West.:rolleyes:

All I see there is a stat that shows that the MWC is stronger than some may think. Nowhere does it say that it is as good or better overall than the Big 12 or Pac 12. If they intended it to say that then yeah, it's not a good look, but I don't see proof that that is the case... ...As far as flexing goes, I would like to see less of that on the field by the players and more high fives with teammates.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
All I see there is a stat that shows that the MWC is stronger than some may think. Nowhere does it say that it is as good or better overall than the Big 12 or Pac 12. If they intended it to say that then yeah, it's not a good look, but I don't see proof that that is the case... ...As far as flexing goes, I would like to see less of that on the field by the players and more high fives with teammates.
You don’t think the statements above the graphic say we are just good as the big 12 and better than the PAC 12? Fair enough.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
People for years have been saying the same thing about Texas, they will never follow aTm and never join the SEC, but that is where they are headed.
ND is ND, no league has any leverage over them, they will do, what they determine to be best for them, not the B10, SEC or any other league.

Does ND to the B10 make the most sense, sure it does, but if anyone continues to think that ND is going to act like Oregon or Stanford and sit waiting for that golden ticket to the B10, they could be in for a major letdown.
Yeah, for now, I agree.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Independents and non P2 conferences will never lose access to the playoffs. If they do, there will be a big antitrust lawsuit coming the P2s way.
I don't think anyone really knows what college football is going to look like in 10 years.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I don't actually disagree with him on this. If things were settled in the B1G (as far as staying or adding teams), I would think they would have had their deal signed by now.
Yeah, seems like if you're gonna go all the way out to the west coast it makes sense to add UDub and one other.

Hot take: that other isn't Stanford or UO...it's Cal. Cal checks more B1G boxes than those other two.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't think ND ever joins a conference and I actually think they have a lot of animosity towards the Big 10. I don't think they like the fact that the Big 10 is trying to force their hand and join.
Agree. The only way they join is if they're forced to as a way to keep access to the playoff.

Aug 20, 2012
My son’s roommate was on the Caltech baseball team and tried to get him to play. When my son said he hadn’t played since Babe Ruth 15 year olds, roommate said that was probably enough to be a starter.:p
Forgive my Captain Obvious routine:

Though the genetic lottery likely played a significant role, you must have done a whole lot right for your son to be in a position to join that baseball team. Congratulations, and my sincerest respect to you as a parent!

Reactions: carvers4math

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Agree. The only way they join is if they're forced to as a way to keep access to the playoff.

I think they will join the B1G when the ACC is diminished or killed at the end of that GOR. Even if they could stay indy, maintain CFP access, and park their non-football sports in the Big East.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I can see both these things happening. People throw antitrust around a lot considering not only how rare it is but how it also doesn’t apply to something like college football. The playoff committee could easily say that you have to be in a conference to get in or they could just break away and have a P5 playoff. It’s not like a non P5 team has a realistic chance of winning anyways.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron