Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
2020 is 100% an outlier. It’s gets thrown out by hospital systems, fortune 500 companies, non profits, everyone because it is so outside the norm of what can happen. It’s the pure definition of an outlier, virtually no one gets meaningful data out of it.

This is not as bad as your takes on USC, BIG expanding with the late night spot as a value adder, and NBC being in the BIG deal, but getting close.

It is not outside the norm of what can happen in college football- it is as close to the setup as we are trending to as they have. The networks had less top inventory and PAC- both side effects of realignment and P2 setup. ND was in a conference! It is one of the more informative years they have.

But clearly you do agree on 5+ years being discounted. Good.

Btw, you're wrong on hospitals.. it is not thrown out in any industry dealing with risk. The Covid year is of high value in the quant world. and changed the notion of what is outside what can happen. Most hospital systems are overhauling many things based on lessons learned from Covid,

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
This is not as bad as your takes on USC, BIG expanding with the late night spot as a value adder, and NBC being in the BIG deal, but getting close.

It is not outside the norm of what can happen in college football- it is as close to the setup as we are trending to as they have. The networks had less top inventory and PAC- both side effects of realignment and P2 setup. ND was in a conference! It is one of the more informative years they have.

But clearly you do agree on 5+ years being discounted. Good.

Btw, you're wrong on hospitals and all the others. it is not thrown out in any industry dealing with risk. The Covid year is of high value in the quant world. and changed the notion of what is outside what can happen.
I work for a hospital system and trust me, it is discounted. Just like your ACC takes this is a really bad one if you think 2020 was “not outside the norm of what can happen”.

Regardless I need to stop trying to interact with ya because all you do is fire off insane hypotheticals and never admit anything you say could be wrong.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You think it is annoying here, it is exactly the same in everyday (verbal) conversation and more informal mediums (like texting). This likely contributes greatly to my lack of friends.

I can relate. Sometimes, I annoy spousal500 in similar fashion.

Yesterday, I used the word “superfluous.”

She said, “I don’t know what that means.”

Me: “Essentially, it’s secondary.”

Her reply: “So why didn’t you just say that instead?”

I had no good answer.

Reactions: 12191987

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle

I had no good answer.
I learned superfluous from The Simpsons. Krusty's superfluous third nipple.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
2020 is 100% an outlier. It’s gets thrown out by hospital systems, fortune 500 companies, non profits, everyone because it is so outside the norm of what can happen. It’s the pure definition of an outlier, virtually no one gets meaningful data out of it.
It’s very good for showing time slot differences. Some bad teams were playing at premier times and received good ratings. That shows that many times, the time slot can matter more than the teams. It wasn’t all worthless data.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It’s very good for showing time slot differences. Some bad teams were playing at premier times and received good ratings. That shows that many times, the time slot can matter more than the teams. It wasn’t all worthless data.
I have always agreed time slot matters, not sure we need 2020 data to confirm it but sure. Just about everything else from 2020 usually gets thrown out for circumstances.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ayagi

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
When people are talking about 'streamers' theyre almost exclusively talking about the non-linear platforms, not the ones like youtube tv that are basically 'cable, but on the internet'.

There are significant downsides in terms of getting casual audiences on those platforms. Not least of which you have to get people to switch from the platform where the majority of the games are (the platform that contains all the broadcast networks plus ESPN\2\U\News\FS1\SECN, etc) just to watch your game, which isn't something people will casually do, whereas people will flip between games on the more cable-like platforms.
Yep. I have 0 interest in streaming. Games in bars, etc. are going to be over the air games. Something tells me that the B1G on Network TV is going to somehow be better than whatever conference ends up streaming and becoming irrelevant to the casual general public. ISU fans might be happy if the Big Xii goes to a streamer, but your average fan acoss the country will stop seeing ISU football. Just do not understand the big fuzzy so many get about it. I know. Die, Boomer, Die. :) FWIW, work almost killed me today!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Checking in from Tucson, here on bizness...

Good college town. Bars all have UA helmets and paraphenalia. Guys walking around in UA jerseys. Random people, not sports fans, are in tune with UA basketball- mention Iowa they all instantly bring up Lute Olsen.

Would be a great fit for Big12.

Aug 20, 2012
Are you familiar with college football?

More than any other major sport, CFB has not needed consensus. Until recently you had votes decide the champion, and even now an esoteric system to get to a 4 school playoff.

Removing conferences and regional fiefdoms, consolidation into 48 schools of clearly the top 2 factions and expanded playoffs will be good for consensus. Historically speaking better than ever.

And any single elimination format is limited on getting consensus on the winner being the best team. That’s not attainable. There will be consensus that the winner of the P2 postseason is the champion though. Really the 24 school SEC plus OSU and USC likely gives you enough for that.

Given your rhetorical it is safe to say my point isn’t getting across. Let me try a different tack…

Let’s use your 24 school SEC plus OSU and USC as the basis of a thought experiment.

Imagine that is where things land. Let’s also assume this league was neither able to secure non-compete clauses with all viable broadcast networks/services nor secure recognition by the AP as the only officially sanctioned CFB league.

After a rough couple of years the East and West conferences formed out of the leftovers stage their first Rose Bowl to feature two undefeated teams.

How about we assume those teams are Oregon and Michigan. Substitute other schools as needed if either is in your 24-team SEC.

The game is broadcast on CBS. Substitute another network/service that doesn’t have a substantial stake in your True CFB League as needed.

Michigan wins in an epic battle and finishes 14-0. Both teams are poised to run it back, with many underclassman returning.

The same weekend upstart South Carolina caps off a surprising run in the CFB League Playoff after tiebreakers landed them the 8th seed at 9-3, finishing 12-3 on the season. They defeated Auburn (12-3) in the title game. It was broadcast on ESPN.

Now, given how quickly this change happened it isn’t exactly a coincidence that all the relevant media deals expire before the start of the next season.

Now, who do you imagine the AP voters crown their champion?

What do you the ratings advantage is for the CFB League?

What percentage of the combined media deals will the CFB League command?

Now, I’d say this example is somewhat of a degenerate case, but since you proffered it I’d say it is fair game for illustrative purposes.

The history of college football demonstrates just how ephemeral and subjective the perception of strength/value is. We’re not that far removed from an undefeated SEC team getting locked out of the BCS title game by the Big 12 and Pac 12 champions.

My ignorant guess is that a breakaway P2 would need to quickly and unambiguously establish itself as such a prohibitively dominant force that no media partner would waste their broadcast time on an alternative, no media outlet would dare advocate for an alternate champion, etc. Failure to do so would almost certainly jeopardize the premium they were able to command eventually, and likely in surprisingly short order.

In other words, a large portion of their value is derived from the perception of their being the consensus best-of-the-best of an expansive CFB landscape.

That doesn’t mean the Big 10 and/or SEC can’t find a way to thread the needle and pull it off. I’m just saying it is a complex and delicate system and doing so will not be easy.

It strikes me as much more feasible to instead more slowly evolve the existing CFB model to give themselves decided advantages while plausibly maintaining the appearance that there is still in fact a single, ~131 team CFB division.

Last edited:

Aug 20, 2012

I had no good answer.

Ha!

Not a good answer, but my honest answer under similar circumstances:

I’m lazy and not a great communicator. Trying to appropriately tailor the available vocabulary to the situation results in both way worse word economy and significant loss of accuracy.

Is it ******** rationalization? Yeah, probably.

Bikeryde

Sep 7, 2021
MSP
Yep. I have 0 interest in streaming. Games in bars, etc. are going to be over the air games. Something tells me that the B1G on Network TV is going to somehow be better than whatever conference ends up streaming and becoming irrelevant to the casual general public. ISU fans might be happy if the Big Xii goes to a streamer, but your average fan acoss the country will stop seeing ISU football. Just do not understand the big fuzzy so many get about it. I know. Die, Boomer, Die. :) FWIW, work almost killed me today!
Bars are going to figure out a way to play NFL on Prime. Not to say it will be easy or you’re incorrect about NCAA, but people will adapt.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bars are going to figure out a way to play NFL on Prime. Not to say it will be easy or you’re incorrect about NCAA, but people will adapt.
I’ve been in bars that stream games. The big chains especially do it. The ma and pops I’ve seen it about as often as cable and I’m not a regular bar person.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Going to the effort of streaming TNF that is the only show in town is one thing. Fishing out the random B12 game on Prime on Saturday is another. When you have 6 or 7 games at your fingertips on DirecTV, including the blue bloods in the SEC and B1G, they aren't going to go to that effort unless it is for the local team.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Going to the effort of streaming TNF that is the only show in town is one thing. Fishing out the random B12 game on Prime on Saturday is another. When you have 6 or 7 games at your fingertips on DirecTV, including the blue bloods in the SEC and B1G, they aren't going to go to that effort unless it is for the local team.
I can tell you from experience, that’s not how it works. The games that people want to watch are the games that go on the TVs. That includes making assumptions based off the best matchups nationally, who is playing locally, and if you get any requests.

And I should add I highly doubt any bar is going to balk at paying an extra $10/mo to gain access to any set of games. They’ll cover that cost in just one night from one guy.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The separation is on the advertising metrics. One is solely based on 'cast' viewership whereas the other is 'targeted'. If the advertising dollar has better 'measurable' returns than the 'cast' advertising, then you'll start to see advertising on the OTA promoting the alternative streaming model. It's just a matter of time. That said, there are the subchannels which OTA can exploit to become more targeted. We'll just have to wait and see where the dollar is spent most cost effectively. Bottom line: technology and advertising metrics will play an ever growing role in future contracts.

• Agree
Reactions: exCyDing