Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Aug 20, 2012
Imo it becomes less complex, and regional, as you consolidate top brands into a P2 of north-south polarization. Better product identification, more hate too.

A P2 of 48 of the biggest brands is a big tent. Outside of a few grandfathered in franchises, it hits on the largest areas of and removes redundancy. There just are not many Iowa State types in the other 20 that are being culled- most don't have enough non-casual viewers that will emotionally protest cancel for there to be a loss of interest in that area. An even Iowa St, advertisers will get into Iowa just fine with the hawks. Networks will count on a lot of hate watching in these situations.

Yes, what you’ve described is exactly what I was referring to as the “engineered” system.

My conjecture here is that the cornerstone is consensus.

Based on that what I find particularly amusing is that collectively college football is so ostentatiously traditionalist, but behaving in comically ahistorical fashion now.

Balancing consolidation of power/money against the necessary quorum to produce a viable consensus isn’t going to be easy.

If there is an opening to generate clicks or viewers or subscribers or whatever can be monetized by undermining that consensus then I’d wager it will happen.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yes, what you’ve described is exactly what I was referring to as the “engineered” system.

Based on that what I find particularly amusing is that collectively college football is so ostentatiously traditionalist, but behaving in comically ahistorical fashion now.

Balancing consolidation of power/money against the necessary quorum to produce a viable consensus isn’t going to be easy.

If there is an opening to generate clicks or viewers or subscribers or whatever can be monetized by undermining that consensus then I’d wager it will happen.
leonardo-dicaprio-toast.gif

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Are you familiar with college football?

More than any other major sport, CFB has not needed consensus. Until recently you had votes decide the champion, and even now an esoteric system to get to a 4 school playoff.

Removing conferences and regional fiefdoms, consolidation into 48 schools of clearly the top 2 factions and expanded playoffs will be good for consensus. Historically speaking better than ever.

And any single elimination format is limited on getting consensus on the winner being the best team. That’s not attainable. There will be consensus that the winner of the P2 postseason is the champion though. Really the 24 school SEC plus OSU and USC likely gives you enough for that.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Heh, so I think I get your point…but not 100%.

If so, fair enough. You think it is annoying here, it is exactly the same in everyday (verbal) conversation and more informal mediums (like texting).

This likely contributes greatly to my lack of friends.
My man, I was just complimenting your command of the English language.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Why do 2020 numbers get thrown out of data sets? Isn't that the best tell for why timeslot and network matter..

Also, any viewership data beyond 2016-17 is irrelevant and unintelligent. Streaming wasn't relevant until the last 3-4 years. Cordcutting has taken off in the past 5 years. 5 years in CFB is like 25 dog years
2020 numbers get thrown out because it was a complete outlier of a year for obvious reasons. When looking at data any year that is so outside of the norm like that is almost always removed. I get that with this fan base in particular the desire to count 2020 is very strong but almost everyone else completely dismisses it.

Also only going back 5 years is silly and opens you up to a lot of misinformed outcomes. Again "streaming" as so many people put it has been around for a lot longer then that and most people that watch sports still have cable or streaming cable during the season because that's where all the important games are. The people that don't have the basic channels and ESPN are probably not really sports fans these deals are supposed to capture.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 1776 and Ayagi

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Imo it becomes less complex, and regional, as you consolidate top brands into a P2 of north-south polarization. Better product identification, more hate too.

A P2 of 48 of the biggest brands is a big tent. Outside of a few grandfathered in franchises, it hits on the largest areas of and removes redundancy. There just are not many Iowa State types in the other 20 that are being culled- most don't have enough non-casual viewers that will emotionally protest cancel for there to be a loss of interest in that area. An even Iowa St, advertisers will get into Iowa just fine with the hawks. Networks will count on a lot of hate watching in these situations.
Not saying your are right or wrong, but if 32 of those 48 spots go to teams just because they currently are in the B10 or SEC then they are not really taking the top 48 brands.

ISU is one of those top 48 schools, but not if we already start with 32 schools in from the B10 and SEC.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
2020 numbers get thrown out because it was a complete outlier of a year for obvious reasons. When looking at data any year that is so outside of the norm like that is almost always removed. I get that with this fan base in particular the desire to count 2020 is very strong but almost everyone else completely dismisses it.

Also only going back 5 years is silly and opens you up to a lot of misinformed outcomes. Again "streaming" as so many people put it has been around for a lot longer then that and most people that watch sports still have cable or streaming cable during the season because that's where all the important games are. The people that don't have the basic channels and ESPN are probably not really sports fans these deals are supposed to capture.

As much as you say removing an outlier gets thrown out, you're fooling yourself if 5+ year data is not heavily discounted. Streaming and cord cutting were different a decade ago. A big part of that is extrapolation of trends.

2020 is not an outlier as much as a relevant and only sample in looking at a reduced conference count and inventory model. it likely also gets utilized in factoring in decline in popularity and downside risk.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I have a question, if we find that the Big 12 is limited on the number of good well watched networks and times, then why would ee go above 12 members?

Why add teams that only get us more games on ESPN + or FS2, etc.? It just dilutes payments per school.

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
I have a question, if we find that the Big 12 is limited on the number of good well watched networks and times, then why would ee go above 12 members?

Why add teams that only get us more games on ESPN + or FS2, etc.? It just dilutes payments per school.
That's where possibly raiding the P12 for 2-4 teams may make sense. You get 6-10 late home games to sell that don't conflict with noon/afternoon windows and more interest outside your region for all parties involved.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
As much as you say removing an outlier gets thrown out, you're fooling yourself if 5+ year data is not heavily discounted. Streaming and cord cutting were different a decade ago. A big part of that is extrapolation of trends.

2020 is not an outlier as much as a relevant and only sample in looking at a reduced conference count and inventory model. it likely also gets utilized in factoring in decline in popularity and downside risk.
2020 is 100% an outlier. It’s gets thrown out by hospital systems, fortune 500 companies, non profits, everyone because it is so outside the norm of what can happen. It’s the pure definition of an outlier, virtually no one gets meaningful data out of it.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1776 and Ayagi

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not saying your are right or wrong, but if 32 of those 48 spots go to teams just because they currently are in the B10 or SEC then they are not really taking the top 48 brands.

ISU is one of those top 48 schools, but not if we already start with 32 schools in from the B10 and SEC.

Hard to say. The brands of the SEC and BIG have long carried weight and networks sought the viewership, so those schools have high valuations. There are probably only a handful that should for sure be out. Imo, at 48, the last 10-15 are scheduler fillers anyway, even starting from scratch. Some value in keeping as many traditional matchups a possible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron