Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
In addition to ignoring the variables of network, time slot, and competing games, these people -- by simply throwing out games involving departing schools -- have also arbitrarily decided that 100% of the viewers of ISU-OU (for example) are tuning in just to see OU.
Right. Also, OUUT are bigger draws/TV slots than USC and UCLA, so it hurts us more. These numbers have literally been manipulated to favor the pac.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
In addition to ignoring the variables of network, time slot, and competing games, these people -- by simply throwing out games involving departing schools -- have also arbitrarily decided that 100% of the viewers of ISU-OU (for example) are tuning in just to see OU.

That's what I meant when I said "context matters."

Is that really what all this comes down to, the context? In terms of purely objective ratings numbers, the Pac wins, but when you adjust for (hugely important) context - the types of things actual humans make business decision on - the Big 12 wins?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That's what I meant when I said "context matters."

Is that really what all this comes down to, the context? In terms of purely objective ratings numbers, the Pac wins, but when you adjust for (hugely important) context - the types of things actual humans make business decision on - the Big 12 wins?

The outside people lobbying for the Pac-12 will find ways to manipulate data to show that the Pac-12 is better. The outside people lobbying for the Big 12 will find ways to manipulate data to show that the Big 12 is better. That's the way this is going to play out.

I think context does matter, and the networks know exactly what they're looking for when they look at the data.

I wish I had the extra free time to dive in to the last 5-6 years of TV numbers, and do some slicing/dicing.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

One would have to believe the valuation models used by the networks have these factors built in. It is why nearly any article on weekly ratings at least has the previous non-Covid year as a comparison.

The ratings outside a very few select group of schools is as much based on the context than the schools, although that context improves when including more timezones.

The issue is the networks have basically already picked the winners in that regard, with best context long ago going to certain schools and conferences, and now it is just moving all the winners to two conferences, but also moving the "spots" with them. There just won't be much context open for deserving non-P2 matchups.

But in terms of leftover PAC vs new Big 12, imo the networks know that adding the top remaining PAC schools to Big 12 is the biggest value add move. The first year in a long time that saw the non-OUT schools get some good context without OUT, and it largely was better than ACC or PAC.

A conference like the ACC in which the conference title game gets surpassed by American when its P2 hopefuls are not in it, is not something to build around imo. ESPN SHOULD want to move those long positons on Pitt and Wake to Big 12.

The PAC at least had the Friday night excuse, but those paltry ratings for Utah-Oregon, were not good and indicative of the weakness and issue in exporting PAC only to the rest of the country. Those schools in BIG would see a big jump, but even added to Big 12 and eventually ACC schools as 3rd conference, a large jump in interest would occur.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I throw this out there just as a personal perspective, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this respect. I'm a college sports junkie. I cut the cable cord some time ago and get my TV via Hulu + Live TV for about $70 a month. ESPN+ and Disney+ are part of the package. Hulu in my area also includes the B1G, SEC, and ACC Networks. At any given time, I have an absolutely eye-popping array of games available for my sports viewing pleasure in whatever season - FB, MBB, WBB, baseball, softball, wrestling, golf, whatever - and Hulu consolidates them on their menu screens. Often I don't even notice what channel or service the game is on. I also subscribe to Prime, Paramount+, and Peacock for their other content and would welcome Big 12 games on those services also.

My point is that my over-the-air channels come through Hulu, a streaming service, and everything else I watch is streamed. Sure, I get that the conferences can maximize their viewership by putting their games on OTA and cable channels, but cable subscriptions are plummeting. Where will they be in 5 years or 10 years when these new media agreements expire? I think streaming will be way more prominent than some people think.

After living in what is now Big 12 and Pac 12 country for the last 50 years, I moved to Ohio last fall. (Kept my CF user name because I like it!) I am right in the heart of B1G country with rabid Ohio State fans all around me. In fact, my grandfather was Woody Hayes's first high school coach, so I should have a Buckeye lean, but I don't. Like many other Big 12 and Pac 12 fans, I despise the B1G and SEC for their arrogance and sense of entitlement, and I am planning to completely boycott their games this fall (although I'll make an exception for Alabama's upcoming thrashing of Texas). I'd love to see a nationwide boycott of Big 10 and SEC games. Personally, I would rather watch Idaho State play Southern Utah than Georgia and their Chump of the Week.

I've made this point before on CF, that streaming channels could have amazing potential for digital archives of games that can be accessed by subscribers on demand or PPV. The content is already there. The conference networks already rerun past games to fill air time and hype current and upcoming seasons. It wouldn't be a significant revenue producer, but every bit helps.

Just one guy's thoughts. We now return you to our regular programming.
It comes down to ease of access. Via a cable package or YTTV or Hulu or whatever, I probably have 5-10 football games available at any given time on a Saturday. And given the fact it includes the networks, the ESPN family, the Fox family, and several of the conference networks, it covers all the top tier matchups. As a fan looking around for a game to watch, this is one stop shopping for me. I will find something worth watching here almost every time and won't look any further. Even though I have Prime and Apple and Peacock, there is no reason to leave my primary football source to even look at what is over there.

That may change one day when some top tier games move to those services. But right now the top B1G, SEC and ACC games are going to be on my Cable, YTTV, Hulu Live, and those deals are going to likely cover the next 5 to 10 years.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Do we need to keep starting new realignment related threads? Much easier to see everything from everyone when it is in one thread.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The outside people lobbying for the Pac-12 will find ways to manipulate data to show that the Pac-12 is better. The outside people lobbying for the Big 12 will find ways to manipulate data to show that the Big 12 is better. That's the way this is going to play out.

I think context does matter, and the networks know exactly what they're looking for when they look at the data.

I wish I had the extra free time to dive in to the last 5-6 years of TV numbers, and do some slicing/dicing.

This is my hunch too...the TV people know the difference between raw numbers and the context surrounding them.

Of course, for most games, neither league is some ratings juggernaut that will attract eyeballs on its own. Time slots, matchups, the network promoting the game...all those things matter a lot. The networks can engineer whatever outcome they want. Which is why I won't be comfortable until the deal is signed.

Reactions: PickSix

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I grew up in Iowa and Nebraska, went to ISU, lived near downtown Chicago for 15 years and saw all those passionate B10 fan bases (NW and Illinois not among them at all), then lived in LA near UCLA campus then lived in valley not far from Rosebowl. I've also road tripped a ton around west coast and mountain regions since moving to CA.

Just from what I see with my own eyes tells me the real fan interest and real eyeballs of "new" big 12 dwarfs the Pac 10.

I'm sure these #s mean something to somebody, but in terms of the real bones of what is really there...I love the west coast and the Sierras in particular but it just isn't out here, it's not out here for pro sports and it REALLY isn't out here for college sports.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sigh. Can someone reconcile this with all the other data that's out there? Number of viewers seems to be a pretty objective metric - obviously context matters, but the numbers should be the numbers - and yet people keep arguing it back and forth.

-Base data does not count streaming, so while the worst Big 12 games are on FS2 count, the worst PAC games on PACN do not
-ignored 2021 data in which new Big 12 destroys remaining PAC
-PAC games that would typically get relegated to ESPN2 or FS1 get on ESPN or OTA due to the West coast time slot without power conference competition. Now they will be competing with USC and UCLA as well as more expansion of other conferences getting into 9 pm Eastern kicks

This really isn’t both sides skewing data. It’s one side having dumb guys with a mouthpiece that apparently can’t use some simple logic.

You never needed sources or connections. By using available and easy to find data and some basic reasoning, some of us clowns on CF pointed out how Wilner and Mandel were wrong when they said the best of Big 12 had no value, and that they are wrong about the values of the two leagues.

If the reports of dollars for the PAC and Big 12 are Remotely close, then we were right. Wilner and Mandel were and are wrong. There is no disconnect between viewership and media value. They simply don’t understand this simple data and the basic logic being applied.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
It comes down to ease of access. Via a cable package or YTTV or Hulu or whatever, I probably have 5-10 football games available at any given time on a Saturday. And given the fact it includes the networks, the ESPN family, the Fox family, and several of the conference networks, it covers all the top tier matchups. As a fan looking around for a game to watch, this is one stop shopping for me. I will find something worth watching here almost every time and won't look any further. Even though I have Prime and Apple and Peacock, there is no reason to leave my primary football source to even look at what is over there.

That may change one day when some top tier games move to those services. But right now the top B1G, SEC and ACC games are going to be on my Cable, YTTV, Hulu Live, and those deals are going to likely cover the next 5 to 10 years.
Yes, but you go to those places because you are used to going there…and because the networks have trained you to do so. We have to acknowledge that Apple and Amazon have the money and resources to retrain us if they want to.

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
SicEm365's ratings analysis guy has another one out. Responds to Wilner after showing some general data on tv windows.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Don't take this wrong because I embrace your enthusiasm, but you are an outlier. Therefore, your demographics isn't what the networks are looking to grab. They're looking to grab every Saturday two game viewer out there. You're the icing on the cake. And everyone knows icing always already comes with cake.

Reactions: Bikeryde

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Don't take this wrong because I embrace your enthusiasm, but you are an outlier. Therefore, your demographics isn't what the networks are looking to grab. They're looking to grab every Saturday two game viewer out there. You're the icing on the cake. And everyone knows icing always already comes with cake.
The two game a Saturday fan is the one far less likely to make an effort to watch though.

That is what he is saying imo. Streaming is a long ways off in getting even the passionate fan, let alone casual fan

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
They'll stay independent until they no longer have a seat at the table.

But I’m not sure that will ever happen since the SEC has just as much sway in creating the rules as the B1G does, and the SEC is incentivized to keep Notre Dame out of the B1G.

We’re barreling toward a 16-team, entirely at-large bid playoff structure.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
ND all on board with being network-aligned with both FOX League and ESPN League (right now via ACC). Retain independence, while being shoulder games for both at some level. Why join a conference when you can just be on the same network?

Good spot to be in, if NBC (or ESPN) is willing to pay for the independence.
That's the question. ND's in a very good spot if NBC decides to pay up for them as an independent. If they're throwing $350 mill/year to the B1G, we'll see if they'll step up to the $75 mill/year that ND wants.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP