Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Does anyone know when Notre Dame's next contract will be completed? Feels like the B1G is waiting for that, PAC waiting for B1G, etc...

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I would say most of the new money goes to pay down debt, pay the exorbitant buyouts and jacking up salaries. NIL might see some.
NIL can’t see any. Yep paying down debt is common as that’s how most of those projects are funded, most schools don’t have but outstanding get are paying but salaries are going to increase a lot

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
For whatever reason I feel like they and the Big 10 won't unless the playoff expands. They can already grt away with one division sucking most years so why change it
The big ten will be getting rid of divisions when the Cali schools join. They were already going to do it anyway do to the lopsided nature of it. Their will still be a conference champ game though

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
For whatever reason I feel like they and the Big 10 won't unless the playoff expands. They can already grt away with one division sucking most years so why change it
Could be. I hadn't thought about it that way. However, I do think the trend is to go away from Divisions and have the top two teams meet in the CCG. FWIW, it would have been the same game last year either way in the S.E.C. (Alabama vs. Georgia).

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
NIL can’t see any. Yep paying down debt is common as that’s how most of those projects are funded, most schools don’t have but outstanding get are paying but salaries are going to increase a lot
Clearly the coaching salaries will keep going up, and that is a competitive advantage. However while the media dollars were smaller, and salaries were on the rise, AND the facility build-up was taking place you did not see the Big 10s massive revenue advantage allow them to separate competitively from the Big 12. In fact during that period (2000-current) you probably saw it go the other direction sans Ohio State.

So on one hand you have a similar relative gap, but coaches are all in ridiculous salary land, and facilities are all good.

The real competitive advantage will be the ADs that are willing and able to shift donor cash to NIL. It could be that some ADs aren’t willing to play that game. It could open it up to some Big 10 or SEC school to rise up a bit. They would have to be willing to have operating revenue from donors diverted to NIL. Those that have huge debt aren’t going to be able to do that.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Clearly the coaching salaries will keep going up, and that is a competitive advantage. However while the media dollars were smaller, and salaries were on the rise, AND the facility build-up was taking place you did not see the Big 10s massive revenue advantage allow them to separate competitively from the Big 12. In fact during that period (2000-current) you probably saw it go the other direction sans Ohio State.

So on one hand you have a similar relative gap, but coaches are all in ridiculous salary land, and facilities are all good.

The real competitive advantage will be the ADs that are willing and able to shift donor cash to NIL. It could be that some ADs aren’t willing to play that game. It could open it up to some Big 10 or SEC school to rise up a bit. They would have to be willing to have operating revenue from donors diverted to NIL. Those that have huge debt aren’t going to be able to do that.
Yep totally agree with all of this. By default it will help non revenue sports but obv that’s an after thought. I do wonder if we will also see basketball salaries jump at some point as those haven’t exploded the way football salary’s have

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Let's put it this way, donations at some schools will being going down, while NIL contributions up. Technically, NIL is not getting the revenue advantages, but it will find its way to the players.

The main point of a revenue advantage is having a competitive advantage. That won't be contained to coaching salaries and arms race building. I suspect we'll even see the BIG eventually change its view on paying players. When it is leading in revenue, it is an equalizer it can use to unlock the SEC's hold on recruiting, and really allow its schools to separate from all others.

Reactions: isutrevman

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The big ten will be getting rid of divisions when the Cali schools join. They were already going to do it anyway do to the lopsided nature of it. Their will still be a conference champ game though
I suppose. You're probably more in tune with it than I am, do you think pods or perminant rivals is what they'll do? I feel like pods might not really work because nobody pods well with USC and UCLA. The closest are Iowa and Nebraska which doesnt feel right

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The debt I am talking about is the debt not just from projects, but mainly from COVID. When I talk about NIL, in this case, I put that in the same category as paying salaries to players, which the Big 10 will do. They should return a portion back to the university, but will they?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The debt I am talking about is the debt not just from projects, but mainly from COVID. When I talk about NIL, in this case, I put that in the same category as paying salaries to players, which the Big 10 will do. They should return a portion back to the university, but will they?
The big ten will fight tooth an nail to avoid paying salaries, that is a Pandora’s box that they don’t want opened

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I suppose. You're probably more in tune with it than I am, do you think pods or perminant rivals is what they'll do? I feel like pods might not really work because nobody pods well with USC and UCLA. The closest are Iowa and Nebraska which doesnt feel right
Protected rivalries. The sticking point has been 2 vs 3 protected and trying to make it somewhat fair

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I disagree. The temptation is going to be too great.
You’re missing the forest through the trees. Paying players directly is a massive title nine problem and they don’t want to count them as employees. If this happens it will be from some court ruling never voluntarily done by the conference.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Do you agree that they should return money back to the university?
Like funnel athletic dollars back over to the university? I wouldn’t have a problem with it but don’t think it will happen. At least not for most of the big ten schools

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Without a doubt, schools are still trying to figure out NIL, but right now, if a person donates to the school, that is tax deductible, but donations to a schools NIL fund are not, until that change is made by the Feds, I think, few schools are going to be pushing that avenue. Some would say, they can drop season ticket prices also, but we know that will not occur either.

Using NIL funds to pay the players from the schools money makes them employees, which just add a ton of laws to protect them, not least of which is allowing the players to then unionize. There has been a push from people to make the refs fulltime employees rather than at will hires. Both the NFL and colleges have refused to go down that path.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You’re missing the forest through the trees. Paying players directly is a massive title nine problem and they don’t want to count them as employees. If this happens it will be from some court ruling never voluntarily done by the conference.

It is more likely a Title 7 issue, and it only gets uglier if it is not their choice. You're already in the forest if Johnson vs NCAA comes down unfavorably to NCAA

Best case, they quickly use NIL to appease, laundering revenue through boosters.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Like funnel athletic dollars back over to the university? I wouldn’t have a problem with it but don’t think it will happen. At least not for most of the big ten schools
The question is do you support it? For years universities subsidized athletic departments. Do you think it's right that the athletic departments return the favor? I think athletic departments should.

• Agree
Reactions: 12191987

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The question is do you support it? For years universities subsidized athletic departments. Do you think it's right that the athletic departments return the favor? I think athletic departments should.
You’re speaking as if they are separate entities. Many schools in the P2 have self sustaining AD’s (although covid screwed up a lot) and almost always a surplus is spent on something in the non revenue sports. If all sports and facilities are taken care of I have no issue with it but the AD’s are going to find something to spend the extra 40-50mil on