Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A good litmus test is the education ranking of the school, as that generally gives a good indication of how important education is to that University. Most of the schools the Big 12 want are in the top 100 of just about any best public university list. Most of the schools in the Big 12 are far outside the top 100.

see response above.

If the money from one would be substantially more than the other, education takes a back seat. But when the money is going to be relatively equal in either scenario? Why in the world would any top educational institution willingly join the SEC in that situation?

just don’t see how much more or less the football team joining the B10, joining the Sec, or staying in the ACC really moves the needle academically. Either this is Sportsball money driven or it’s not. UVA and UNC don’t really get to decide which way that works.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Honest question. How legit is this guy? Doesn't have a ton of followers. Have we seen this reported from anyone else?

I'd wait for another reporter to confirm before buying in on this. Give it an hour.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
In 2022 it's probably more relevant to compare academics and athletics than political events of 161 years ago.

tell that to those schools mega-donors and donors. I don’t get it, because it doesn’t matter to me. But it certainly matters to people in those areas.

Note for mods: this is not a “political” post. This a historical and cultural
Post. Know the difference or just blend every thread in to the cave.

1657212275845.jpeg

Reactions: besserheimerphat

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
UNC, Clemson. Florida state, Virginia talking with SEC. Espn trying to void the ACC’s contract!!!

What sources?

Man Big 12 could really pick and choose from leftovers of ACC and PAC to be very solid conference unless Big Ten and SEC somehow think they need to be 24 team conferences (not sure why they’d ever feel the need to be near 50 teams total)…and at that point ISU would be in play anyway although certainly not a lock.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
They are a national brand because they've been one of the top 3 programs in the country for a decade. Yet despite getting great TV slots and networks, they are sandwiched between Ole Miss and Iowa in viewership last year.

There are two components to media value - how many people watch and getting into markets to get passive cable/sat dollars. SEC already is in that market, so there's zero for the latter. In terms of the former, they simply don't perform that well.

That's being one of the best programs in the country. Then consider that prior to their current run under Dabo they went 20 years without a double-digit win season.

So a top 3 program that gets primo TV slots that doesn't do great on TV, and brings them no new media markets. I'm sure there's a concern to that Dabo's been there 15 years, and does he want to jump to the NFL? If he does and they go back to being an 8 win type of program what happens to their TV value?

I still say they bring good value to the SEC and they would love to have Clemson. But they are not as valuable in media as their on the field success suggests they should be.

The one other thing about adding Clemson to the SEC, is if they are really considering splitting off and having a playoff on their own, or only with the B10, including Clemson really enhances the legitimacy of it. You now have basically every national champ from the last 20 years included in the field if it's only the B10 and SEC teams. Having a team that's won multiple titles in the last five years not included really reduces the legitimacy of a selective playoff.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
What sources?

Man Big 12 could really pick and choose from leftovers of ACC and PAC to be very solid conference unless Big Ten and SEC somehow think they need to be 24 team conferences (not sure why they’d ever feel the need to be near 50 teams total)…and at that point ISU would be in play anyway although certainly not a lock.
Post 3,805

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
That'd probably mean dissolution of conference which, in turn, leaves Notre Dame on a complete island again. And that might just play into the B1G hand. Fun stuff!
I don’t think there is a wish list for the B10 beyond ND. Oregon is debatable. Everyone else is just “best available filler” to get to 20.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So am I supposed to believe this unknown guy's sources or the other unknown guy's sources?

stop-fighting-no-fight.gif

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So am I supposed to believe this unknown guy's sources or the other unknown guy's sources?

My daily note that it’s funny that these same people had no ******* clue about Out or USC/UCLA until it happened. Then all magically knew but just didn’t want to tell us. That’s what makes this so great. The people that actually matter can’t afford to let anything get out and they are powerful enough to not have anything get out. This **** is all happening at the highest highest levels obviously.

Reactions: tim_redd

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What sources?

Yeah, that’s kind of the strange thing - if the SEC somehow manages to snatch those 4 schools (particularly UNC and UVA) away from the Big 10, and the Big 10 *HAS* to get to 24, suddenly ISU and KU become some of the better options left. Not saying any of this is certain - just spitballing.