Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Tons of good branding and marketing potential for the SEC adding Clemson. SEC would then have the past 7 national champions in their conference. Big 10 major little brother even in a Big 2 any way you slice it though.
For sure - but SEC is already so far above everyone in on the field performance, Clemson and FSU would just be icing on the cake.

Clemson certainly helps the SEC, I just don't think SEC/ESPN are going to write a massive check to get Clemson out of the ACC early. If it starts to look like GOR can be circumvented in court, then you probably see them start to work that.

I think the craziest thing in all this is that the SEC is so good, and so rich, that Clemson could never join and it really wouldn't make much of a difference to the SEC.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Except in this situation you have national media members championing the idea instead of making fun of the destruction of a conference.

Doesn’t matter. They can do whatever they want. That doesn’t change the money.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I've got some reading to catch up on, but if I had to summarize the forming consensus I'm seeing among CFB writers who are not dipshits, it's something along the lines of this tweet.

Sounds like there's plenty of warranted skepticism over whether it can work in the short term, let alone the long term.

I think the Arizona schools could still join the Big 12 (assuming the Big 12 is interested in adding just them)

The problem the Big 12 has in this situation is most of these Pac 12 schools do not fit culturally with most of the Big 12. So they're going to work very hard to avoid that fate if they can.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not wanting to be argumentative, OUT was the same to the B12. But we survived.

Right, by adding teams almost immediately. That’s the options imo, Pac adds teams, or they die. Not to mention they are already on a shittier TV deal than we are.

And by a stroke of fate, we took probably the biggest get they could have (BYU), off the table. Good luck Pac-10.

Reactions: Dormeezy and Acylum

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
We’ve all been here before. The Hail Mary stage. Don’t know why the PAC-10 current situation is any different from what’s happened to us like 5 times now and we know how that worked out. They either add schools, or they’re done.

"Hey Jon, do me a favor and publish our talking points again. It will bump up our negotiation leverage so that we have some chance to hang on to the Mountain 4"

Don't mistake my sharing or summarizing someone's else viewpoint with an endorsement. I have no idea what's going to happen.

But then, neither does anyone here. I'll never forget the confidence so many on here had 10 months ago that ISU's invitation to the B1G was an inevitability after just a couple more years when the next round of realignment hits.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I think the Arizona schools could still join the Big 12 (assuming the Big 12 is interested in adding just them)

The problem the Big 12 has in this situation is most of these Pac 12 schools do not fit culturally with most of the Big 12. So they're going to work very hard to avoid that fate if they can.
Do you think all these schools fit the SEC and Big culture? I dont believe culture is part of the equation these days, its still population and eyeballs.

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021

Cultural fit? Not sure what that means in this context. Show up and play the game!

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Do you think all these schools fit the SEC and Big culture? I dont believe culture is part of the equation these days, its still population and eyeballs.

Outside of Nebraska, everyone the Big 10 has added has fit their culture.

OU certainly fits the SEC culture, Texas probably not as much.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
If true, that'd be a major blow to the Big 10's plans, as it is believed that North Carolina and Virginia are in their scopes.
Not saying I believe the tweet, I don't. But... If you are NC or UVA and you have a choice of B1G vs SEC, where do you go? From my perspective the B1G is a better fit for them, but I don't live there so I have no inside knowledge.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not saying I believe the tweet, I don't. But... If you are NC or UVA and you have a choice of B1G vs SEC, where do you go? From my perspective the B1G is a better fit for them, but I don't live there so I have no inside knowledge.

How is the home of the Confederacy and one of the original southern colonies a better fit for the Big 10 than the SEC?

Also who pays more over the next decade?