Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Does anyone think the Big 10 is done poaching from the P12? Are USC and UCLA going to travel 2,000 miles for their conference road games? I guess West Virginia has handled the travel okay. I just thought USC would have demanded more partners to bring along with them.

Yeah, I'm really curious what USC and UCLA was told by the Big 10 and if just the two of them is what they signed off on as the plan. But I guess it's also true that Seattle is not that much closer to LA than Lincoln or Iowa City.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That’s dumb. Clemson is a national brand.
They are a national brand because they've been one of the top 3 programs in the country for a decade. Yet despite getting great TV slots and networks, they are sandwiched between Ole Miss and Iowa in viewership last year.

There are two components to media value - how many people watch and getting into markets to get passive cable/sat dollars. SEC already is in that market, so there's zero for the latter. In terms of the former, they simply don't perform that well.

That's being one of the best programs in the country. Then consider that prior to their current run under Dabo they went 20 years without a double-digit win season.

So a top 3 program that gets primo TV slots that doesn't do great on TV, and brings them no new media markets. I'm sure there's a concern to that Dabo's been there 15 years, and does he want to jump to the NFL? If he does and they go back to being an 8 win type of program what happens to their TV value?

I still say they bring good value to the SEC and they would love to have Clemson. But they are not as valuable in media as their on the field success suggests they should be.

• Winner
Reactions: 7Got6 and iahawks

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ken Miller on KXNO was on earlier and he is now believing the PAC 12 and ACC are forming something and the the Big12 is going to be left out. Thoughts? Just because the Big12 isn’t publicly saying anything doesn’t mean nothing is in the works.
If they are forming something temporary, it is a bandaid at best, prolonging the inevitable. If they are forming something permanent, I don't think the math will work out in making it more lucrative than entering the Big 12 as a new member.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm sure a PAC with USC was always the preference, but that doesn't exist any more.

Sure. I guess I could put it this way - how has T. Boone Pickens' money at OSU helped the Big 12? It really hasn't done anything. Again, we're talking massive hypotheticals here.

If Oregon buys it's way into the Big 10, them accepting much less money than the other schools in the conference, and Phil Knight floating 500 million to 1 billion dollars to do so, I think that's again good for us. That's destabilizing.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I mean that’s possible. If that’s the direction they are willing to go the PAC and Big 12 will both have no option.

What stopped him from doing it until now? He could have done that at any point.
It’s added risk he/Nike don’t have to deal with now. He could do it, but it’s risky and does he really need/want to take on that risk?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They are a national brand because they've been one of the top 3 programs in the country for a decade. Yet despite getting great TV slots and networks, they are sandwiched between Ole Miss and Iowa in viewership last year.

There are two components to media value - how many people watch and getting into markets to get passive cable/sat dollars. SEC already is in that market, so there's zero for the latter. In terms of the former, they simply don't perform that well.

That's being one of the best programs in the country. Then consider that prior to their current run under Dabo they went 20 years without a double-digit win season.

So a top 3 program that gets primo TV slots that doesn't do great on TV, and brings them no new media markets. I'm sure there's a concern to that Dabo's been there 15 years, and does he want to jump to the NFL? If he does and they go back to being an 8 win type of program what happens to their TV value?

I still say they bring good value to the SEC and they would love to have Clemson. But they are not as valuable in media as their on the field success suggests they should be.

Tons of good branding and marketing potential for the SEC adding Clemson. SEC would then have the past 7 national champions in their conference. Big 10 major little brother even in a Big 2 any way you slice it though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If they are forming something temporary, it is a bandaid at best, prolonging the inevitable. If they are forming something permanent, I don't think the math will work out in making it more lucrative than entering the Big 12 as a new member.

The PAC 12 without USC is like the Big 10 without tOSU. They ARE that league. But 75% of the media seemingly has blocked out that USC isn’t a chip for the PAC 12 any longer.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
Ken Miller on KXNO was on earlier and he is now believing the PAC 12 and ACC are forming something and the the Big12 is going to be left out. Thoughts? Just because the Big12 isn’t publicly saying anything doesn’t mean nothing is in the works.
Sounded like some small-potatoes TV deal, along with an inter-conference championship in Las Vegas that is little different from an ordinary bowl game (except perhaps that it would be played before CFP selection rather than after). It may or may not delay the inevitable, but that's all it will do. The Big 12 losing its bluebloods first was a blessing in disguise.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I've got some reading to catch up on, but if I had to summarize the forming consensus I'm seeing among CFB writers who are not dipshits, it's something along the lines of this tweet.

Sounds like there's plenty of warranted skepticism over whether it can work in the short term, let alone the long term.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sure. I guess I could put it this way - how has T. Boone Pickens' money at OSU helped the Big 12? It really hasn't done anything. Again, we're talking massive hypotheticals here.

If Oregon buys it's way into the Big 10, them accepting much less money than the other schools in the conference, and Phil Knight floating 500 million to 1 billion dollars to do so, I think that's again good for us. That's destabilizing.
Pickens' money didn't help the conference because it didn't reduce media payout to OSU. Maybe there are indirect ways it helped the rest of the league, but nothing direct.

The point is Knight could buy Oregon into the Big 10 or SEC if he's motivated enough to do so. However, there comes a point where he and Oregon would have to decide if it's worth it. To me that would only be if they see the Big 12 being excluded from the playoff. Otherwise, who cares about the lower Big 12 media dollars if you don't get a full share of Big 10/SEC dollars anyway.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've got some reading to catch up on, but if I had to summarize the forming consensus I'm seeing among CFB writers who are not dipshits, it's something along the lines of this tweet.

Sounds like there's plenty of warranted skepticism over whether it can work in the short term, let alone the long term.

We’ve all been here before. The Hail Mary stage. Don’t know why the PAC-10 current situation is any different from what’s happened to us like 5 times now and we know how that worked out. They either add schools, or they’re done.

Reactions: Rods79

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Agree. People have to be able to separate the current status of a school's football program with their overall desirability. Endowment, alumni base size, local market size, fan passion, national brand recognition, commitment to athletics, these all matter as well.

Ohio St will always be Ohio St, but Clemson, Oregon, Baylor for example are a couple bad coaches away from being pedestrian. There's probably only ~20 schools that really are above that.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Does the ACC GOR dissolve if 7 schools all decide to leave at the same time? I would think the top 7 could all arrange to join the BIG & SEC at once.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

"Hey Jon, do me a favor and publish our talking points again. It will bump up our negotiation leverage so that we have some chance to hang on to the Mountain 4"

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
We’ve all been here before. The Hail Mary stage. Don’t know why the PAC-10 current situation is any different from what’s happened to us like 5 times now and we know how that worked out. They either add schools, or they’re done.

Except in this situation you have national media members championing the idea instead of making fun of the destruction of a conference.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Okay I think we're agreed there.

I just don't think the other teams are going to be excluded from the playoff. These Big 10/SEC nerds who think the playoff is just going to be those two conferences I think are absurd.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
These media guys are just waking up to the ACC news and finishing up their opinions for public consumption. This new rush of comments is just the corroborated ripple from yesterday‘s rumor.