Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
I don't get why people don't want Utah. They have been a very solid football program for awhile. I bet they are almost as valuable as Oregon or Washington. I would much rather have them than a Colorado team that sucks.
BYU may be blocking Utah.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm sure I'm just repeating a bunch of other people here, but I'd really like to be able to expand with Washington and Oregon as part of the new Big XII. Clearly, getting the other 4 teams on board will expedite any decision coming from either of those two schools.

"But they are waiting for the B1G invite...." I'm sure they are. But I think they are the 2nd and 3rd choice for the B1G. I think Stanford is the next target. Why?

Helps entice ND even more. Bay Area has a decent amount of alumni from B1G schools. More than Portland or Seattle. Would be tops in the conference in Academic standings. Spends more on R&D than any other B1G than Michigan. Massive Endowment. Directors cup champs like 20 years in a row.

Washington would be next in line. Their non-athletic achievements dwarf Oregon. Seattle much larger and more important (+media market) to B1G alumni than Portland area. Oregon has a better brand and larger athletics revenues, but given B1G decided to take UCLA, I think they are looking at more than just success in football.

I'm 100% with you. Honestly when it comes to the Big 10, their branding is really important to them as like some kind of academic powerhouse league. For some reason people keep bringing up endowments and research dollars when you talk to them.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I find this difficult to believe.

cfbconfchamp-1024x579.png

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I know this will get railed but I'm of the opinion that the number of "must have" teams is incredibly small.

Notre Dame has image-puffed for well over a century and it's paid off but who else?

There's no one that I consider must-have.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know this will get railed but I'm of the opinion that the number of "must have" teams is incredibly small.

Notre Dame has image-puffed for well over a century and it's paid off but who else?

There's no one that I consider must-have.

Oregon is a must have at this point imo. For all the talk of “going independent” I think Oregon with their Nike backing would be the best candidate to potentially go independent and be able to avoid all of this mess, then they would be able to easily join the B10 or SEC when the time comes.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Oregon is a must have at this point imo. For all the talk of “going independent” I think Oregon with their Nike backing would be the best candidate to potentially go independent and be able to avoid all of this mess, then they would be able to easily join the B10 or SEC when the time comes.

If big 12 took Oregon. I would almost think we would have to sign them to a very long term deal with a huge buyout. Seems like they would join the big 12 for 3 years and then bounce at the first thought of getting a big 10 invite. It would be nice to have them and basically say we want you but you need to sign a 15 year agreement with a huge buyout.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If big 12 took Oregon. I would almost think we would have to sign them to a very long term deal with a huge buyout. Seems like they would join the big 12 for 3 years and then bounce at the first thought of getting a big 10 invite. It would be nice to have them and basically say we want you but you need to sign a 15 year agreement with a huge buyout.

If they aren't adding to the Big 10 now, why would they in 5 years? Just bring them on. IMO the biggest thing we need to do is bring them in and ensure the PAC dies. That would create some massive instability in the ACC and strengthen us. If all of this moves to the Big 12 being the last remaining league other than the SEC and Big 10 then it's a win. That should be the goal long term.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If they aren't adding to the Big 10 now, why would they in 5 years? Just bring them on. IMO the biggest thing we need to do is bring them in and ensure the PAC dies. That would create some massive instability in the ACC and strengthen us. If all of this moves to the Big 12 being the last remaining league other than the SEC and Big 10 then it's a win. That should be the goal long term.
Problem is, you bring them to kill the PAC and they make others nervous so when the ACC is opened up, they go and suck some teams with them and the ACC survives. Oregon wants into the P2, I'm now of the thought process that it would be best to just let them hang out wherever, even if they hold the PAC name with a bunch of backfill, if we can get the four corner schools. I would make the PAC a shell of itself and always unstable with Oregon looking to bounce. If Washington would come, I would take them instead of Colorado since I don't think they would get an invite anywhere and would settle in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron