Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Invite teams that would be content in the Big 12. It sounds like Washington and Oregon really want to be in the Big Ten, which would be OU/UT all over again for the Big 12.

Thats why you get the Mountain 4 first. Once UO and UW are looking at being in a conference with SDSU, SMU, and Boise... you might have enough leverage to get them to join the Big12 -- but only if they sign up to a strong GoR agreement.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Every team in the Big 12 would take a B1G or SEC invite instantly. So what this really means is that the league would have an upper limit on how valuable a school could be in order to get in. That’s backwards to me. Get the best programs you can. Oregon and Washington would be huge assets to the Big 12 even if they left at the next round in 5-10-15 years.
None of the teams in the Big 12 are likely going to ever get a Big Ten or SEC invite, which is what brings stability and might encourage another media entity to dump some serious cash into the media fray. Have you been paying attention to the chaos in the Big 12 over the last decade? Why in the hell would you bring that back by adding teams that really don't want to be in the conference, and who would be whoring behind the conference's back to go somewhere else?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Every team in the Big 12 would take a B1G or SEC invite instantly. So what this really means is that the league would have an upper limit on how valuable a school could be in order to get in. That’s backwards to me. Get the best programs you can. Oregon and Washington would be huge assets to the Big 12 even if they left at the next round in 5-10-15 years.

Yeah, it comes to a point where the question is 'is it more important to keep a team from going to the big 10, or more important to make sure the conference locks itself in as no lower than third?'

I think if you accept that the big 10 and SEC have already won the battle for #1 and #2 financially, that puts you more towards the second.

I think you could go as far as having a long-term GoR but with outs (likely buyout clauses) for teams to jump to one of those 2. Most if not all schools (including probably UO\UW) are never getting those offers anyway, but it might get schools on board that still are holding out hope.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I really struggle to see why Arizona would stay, the pac has not treated them well for a long time.

I saw more Arizona games 20 years ago than I do now. Just zero coverage of anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wasn't thrilled with the idea simply because the writing was on the wall for the PAC 12 and they didn't even know it. Step one was to stabilize the Big 12, and the four we added did just that. Step two was to wait for other things to teeter on their foundations, and they are right now.

Just think how ****** of an add Memphis is if the (at the time) desperate Big-12 took Houston and UCF over them.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, it comes to a point where the question is 'is it more important to keep a team from going to the big 10, or more important to make sure the conference locks itself in as no lower than third?'

I think if you accept that the big 10 and SEC have already won the battle for #1 and #2 financially, that puts you more towards the second.

I think you could go as far as having a long-term GoR but with outs (likely buyout clauses) for teams to jump to one of those 2. Most if not all schools (including probably UO\UW) are never getting those offers anyway, but it might get schools on board that still are holding out hope.

I was about to post something just like this. I'd also like to see some kind of mechanism built into TV deals to keep our TV partners from fcking around with our league members. I'm not sure what form that might take, maybe language that says if Fox is our primary TV partner then they must make the Big 12 whole if any Big 12 team moves to another conference that Fox is also a TV partner with.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Don’t hold your breath.
haha well if there's nothing tomorrow I can add another person to the long list of twitter accounts to ignore about realignment lol

I would be surprised if the schools moved this fast, but I also don't really see a good reason why they would stay either

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
None of the teams in the Big 12 are likely going to ever get a Big Ten or SEC invite, which is what brings stability and might encourage another media entity to dump some serious cash into the media fray. Have you been paying attention to the chaos in the Big 12 over the last decade? Why in the hell would you bring that back by adding teams that really don't want to be in the conference, and who would be whoring behind the conference's back to go somewhere else?

This makes it difficult for PAC12 to stay together as a football conference despite the "Loose Agreement" and other efforts to keep the conference around. The other schools will question Oregon's and Washington's commitment over the long term if they are looking for bids from the BIG10 or SEC. This may also apply to Stanford and Cal. It would be interesting to see if those schools will agree to a long-term GoR if they stick with the PAC12 or move to the Big12.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
10- Oregon
22 Oklahoma State
27 Iowa state
28 Cincinnati
30 Baylor
37 Utah
38 Washington
40 West Virginia
41 TCU
42 BYU
45 Tech
46 Stanford
47 Arizona state
50 KState
55 Kansas
59 Washington state
63 UCF
64 Colorado
67 Arizona
69 Oregon state
74 Houston
76 Cal

Average most watched teams in 2021

Honestly I’m surprised how high Kansas is, but I think that’s more due to the Big12 caring/watching more.
I think the kansas number is over inflated because of that thrilling game they played vs Texas. Seemed like everyone flipped over to that one.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't get why people don't want Utah. They have been a very solid football program for awhile. I bet they are almost as valuable as Oregon or Washington. I would much rather have them than a Colorado team that sucks.
Utah is absolutely on the way up as a valuable brand. They have probably already surpassed UW and if the two remain in the same conference UW will not catch up.