Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Just a PSA here. I am going to pistol whip the next poster I see talking about MBB, WBB, wrestling or whatever other olympic sport in a conference realignment thread. They don't matter in all this, they never have, and they never will. The minute you find yourself considering anything but potential football TV revenue you are wrong, so take a step back from the keyboard and regroup.

Okay, back to regularly scheduled programming.
How 'bout Hockey...oar Ladies rowing...Maybe a broom ball team?

Some of us just point out the other aspects of the schools, not that it matters in the grand scheme. Everyone knows this is about football, kind of like Stanfords academics dont mean **** to the Big 12.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
For f’s sake we will take zona schools , buffs, utes. Wait until others make moves then attack the ACC. PAC is dead yo, they make less money than us.

Reactions: CYTUTT

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'll just throw this out there. Stormin, you get the quote, but it could be anybody.

What would you call the new B12?

Conference USA.....LOL J/K

Big Packin....

Big Pacific

Central Pacific

Coast to Coast

BIG

Great America

Big Super Conference.....

Big Pacific Survivors League of America

North South East West Conference
If the Big 12 survives, hopefully even thrives, continue to call it "The Big12". Keep the same Roman numeral 12 (XII) on the member jerseys.

For added descriptors, text, do this, Big 12 Conference, then simply add the number of current teams to the end (16 if we add 4, initially).
Big 12 Conference Logo 16 1 TN.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big 12 Conference Logo 16 2 TN.jpg

Reactions: HawaiiClone

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
If the Big 12 survives, hopefully even thrives, continue to call it "The Big12". Keep the same Roman numeral 12 (XII) on the member jerseys.

For added descriptors, text, do this, Big 12 Conference, then simply add the number of current teams to the end (16 if we add 4, initially).
View attachment 100369

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 100370

Big 16. Time to rebrand. The Big 12 has the patent on Big 14 & Big 16. I believe it’s expired but they would still have some rights to it

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The schools will do whatever the the courts say they have to do.

The NCAA is afraid of getting smoked in court and then having zero ability to dictate. Which it may be too late. They made a pivot to opening things up in effort to avoid a court ruling of full employment imo.

The Fed, other than the courts? What would that look like? Do you think Congress is going to codify college athletes can't transfer without sitting out and what NIL they can get? Seems very unlikely, would be challenged in court, and that would just mean MORE unregulated compensation. There does not seem to be a path towards going back to restrictive transfer rules and no NIL. The only way to implement restrictions and regulation is via compensation in return..employment.

The conferences are the schools. And there very much are schools ready for pay-to-play. So at least some schools would agree to leaving amateurism. The more schools embrace willingly paying players, the more they control what that looks like
The schools and the conferences cannot stop "pay for play", but they sure as hell can limit it and they will. The current situation is not in the best interest of the schools and the fans as a whole, and they realize that. You are correct the NCAA will do nothing, but you can bet the SEC and B10 will. They will not care if the other conferences follow, which they will, but it adds stability back into the system, which all of them want.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Big 16. Time to rebrand. The Big 12 has the patent on Big 14 & Big 16. I believe it’s expired but they would still have some rights to it
Not a bad idea either. The problem with 'Big 16', though, provided we initially bump to 16 members, is, what would come after that? When we go to 18? Then to 20? This realignment is far from over, even after the next few years.

I think the Big 12 has the name recognition and the history to survive any realignment. Provided they don't go bust, of course! I also like the simplicity of the Roman numeral XII, as we currently have it.

Edit: I also don't see the Big 10 changing its name. Everybody will just call them the BIG, or the Big 10. History is what counts. At least it used to. Ha.

It would be absurd for them to change their name now, to call it the Big 11 (tried it though), then the Big 14, Big 16, etc., etc. as they keep adding teams. For now, it will just be Big 10 / BIG, then the SEC, and maybe we can put Big 12 in there as one of the main 2nd tier conferences.

Changing the name of the BIG, or Big 12, as realignment continues, would just add even more confusion, resentment, and stress to an already bad situation. And guess what? SEC ain't changin' their name anytime soon either.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not a bad idea either. The problem with 'Big 16', though, provided we initially bump to 16 members, is, what would come after that? When we go to 18? Then to 20? This realignment is far from over, even after the next few years.

I think the Big 12 has the name recognition and the history to survive any realignment. Provided they don't go bust, of course! I also like the simplicity of the roman numeral XII, as we currently have it.
I GOT IT! I GOT IT!

The Conference Formerly Known as Big 12

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I assume Walton will stick with UCLA and go to the B1G, but if he stays with the PAC it would be a hoot to have him in Ames for a game.
I like Walton too though didn't like it when he questioned his on air colleague why a recruit would pick Iowa State. This was during the Diamondhead Classic years ago with Kane on ISU. I gave him a mulligan though as figured he is high most of the time.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado have not been in the PAC 12 very long. Three WAC schools and a Big 8/12 team. Arizona schools are the oldest members of those four. No longstanding relationship.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado have not been in the PAC 12 very long. Three WAC schools and a Big 8/12 team. Arizona schools are the oldest members of those four, since 2006. No longstanding relationship.
I thought the Arizona Schools joined the Pac in the late 70s, not 2006.

Reactions: Stormin

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Unless they vote to dissolve, I think they'll just backfill more teams. It will essentially be like the Mountain West or something, but still have the Pac 12 name.
Kind of like many of the great 70's rock bands who tour around with only one original member. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Kind of like many of the great 70's rock bands who tour around with only one original member. :)
EXACTLY. Like Lennert Skinnert, or the Moopets.

The historic Pac12, featuring Oregon St, UC Northside, and the Montana School of Mines.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

View attachment 100369

View attachment 100370
Eventually gonna have 24. Just have XII in there twice somehow.

The New Big12 - Twice as Nice with 24!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

View attachment 100369

View attachment 100370
Actually, IIRC, the Big Xii has *Trademarked Big 14 and Big 16 (perhaps in Roman numerals), so I would rebrand accordingly under that name to get rid of the negative Big Xii bashing of the past decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: besserheimerphat

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

View attachment 100369

View attachment 100370
It is my recollection that the conference actually copywriter other names indicating they might expand.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron