Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
But if they kick the lesser teams out and break off, then there will still have to be losing teams in the new league. Mathematically, only half the teams can win each game.
LOL, dont ya know the B1G makes up the rules as they go along, they will fix it so everyone is a winner by that time, at least in the B1G, Well as long as it Benefits, OSU....and now probably USC too.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Oh I don’t think they will kick those teams out personally but I’m just saying why you might see that subject brought up.

Even if a P2 playoff does happen it’s a long way off and I think a lot more teams would be on the move before that happens if it ever does.
Ok. Do you think what the SEC and Big 10 is doing RIGHT NOW good for the future of college athletics?

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Can someone dumb it down for me? I don’t understand how anyone thinks it’s possible for the “P2” to have their own playoff. Did I miss the court ruling where three P5 conferences lost their autonomy status and the rest of the other conferences lost their votes in the matter as well?

The P2 playoff doesn't have to fall within the current contract. They could theoretically create their own playoff. But I think the more likely scenario is that they'll use their TV partners to make sure they are the only teams discussed for the playoffs under the current configuration. All other teams will get talked down to increase the value of their investment. And the committee will comply.

• Winner
Reactions: Kinch

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Oh I don’t think they will kick those teams out personally but I’m just saying why you might see that subject brought up.

Even if a P2 playoff does happen it’s a long way off and I think a lot more teams would be on the move before that happens if it ever does.
Wont happen now, but long term Ohio state isn't giving Purdue and Northwestern an equal cut. That isn't sustainable.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Wont happen now, but long term Ohio state isn't giving Purdue and Northwestern an equal cut. That isn't sustainable.
Yes and thats when they may leave on their own. No one is getting kicked out, but if the Egos get so big at the top, that the bottom decides it is better elsewhere they might go on their own.

It would be the only possibility and I give it a decent probability. Once you start unequal revenue shares things get messy fast. And if you have an outside conference at or above what the bottom guys are getting and everyone is treated equal, some may decide to leave.

Or the system just blows up completely at that point.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

When this happens the people who think it’s impossible now will say it was always so obvious (because it is). Texas did not want to share with Kansas State and Baylor, USC does not want to with Wazzu and Colorado. Ohio State is no different

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I tend to think we are in another "pause" for how long, no one knows. The B10 is still out whale hunting over ND, therefore it makes zero since to offer Oregon now.

This is why the B12 must make the situation unstable and offer CU, UU, and the 2 Arizonia schools now, heck go ahead and offer Oregon, UDub, Stanford and Cal and out of those four, say "the first two schools that commit, get the spots."

It better for the B10 for things to cool down, but for the B12, they need to force the issue.

Put Operation, "Sink the P12" into action.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
But if they kick the lesser teams out and break off, then there will still have to be losing teams in the new league. Mathematically, only half the teams can win each game.
People keep saying this, but half the NFL loses every week too. Its a non issue.

And they wont kick lesser teams out. The big brands will get poached by a new superleague. And maybe only the football programs, when it all comes down.

And the superleague will prob start with a special CFP that only includes the SEC and B1G.

Reactions: Cych

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Big Ten is following the exact formula as SEC. Take just 2 teams. Pac 12 will expand and take 4 MWC teams. Both Big 12 and Pac 12 survive but both have further weakened themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlsby and the Pac 12 guy knew this would be the end result from the time they were hired.
The best pac teams will bolt for the big12 before they'd do that.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I tend to think we are in another "pause" for how long, no one knows. The B10 is still out whale hunting over ND, therefore it makes zero since to offer Oregon now.

This is why the B12 must make the situation unstable and offer CU, UU, and the 2 Arizonia schools now, heck go ahead and offer Oregon, UDub, Stanford and Cal and out of those four, say "the first two schools that commit, get the spots."

It better for the B10 for things to cool down, but for the B12, they need to force the issue.

Put Operation, "Sink the P12" into action.
I mean we could obviously offer the four, Oregon and Washington being 5 and 6 would be a welcome addition. No reason to just add two when the B1G and SEC are going to 16+

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
People keep saying this, but half the NFL loses every week too. Its a non issue.

And they wont kick lesser teams out. The big brands will get poached by a new superleague. And maybe only the football programs, when it all comes down.

And the superleague will prob start with a special CFP that only includes the SEC and B1G.
And how many NFL coaches get fired every other year for going sub .500. You are leading a winner or you are the team that is playing round robin with coaches. Some of these teams are changes coaches every couple years.

Its not ok to be the loser in the NFL either. Saying it is, is not true.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Big Ten is following the exact formula as SEC. Take just 2 teams. Pac 12 will expand and take 4 MWC teams. Both Big 12 and Pac 12 survive but both have further weakened themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlsby and the Pac 12 guy knew this would be the end result from the time they were hired.

I don't see the Pac12 adding 4 MWC teams because they have a better option, they can consolidate with the Big12 Conference. Realignment is about increasing TV media $ on a per school basis. Big 12 merger means similar money to what the Big12/ACC/Pac12 make today. Adding MWC money means taking less much less than they get today.

Plus if Washington & Oregon bolt for the Big10, merging with the Big12 allows the remaining Pac12 schools to drop the 2 least valuable Pac12 properties Oregon State & Washington State.

Not likely, but I could also see a Pac12 split. CU, UU, ASU & UA join the Big12. With Washington, Oregon, WSU, OSU, Stanford, Cal join up with 4 other west coast teams: Boise, Fresno State, San Diego State and UNLV. And the go with an uneven revenue split. It basically means Oregon, Washington, Stanford & Cal choose to be independent, but line up 4 opponents who will settle for a slight bump up from their MWC contract.