Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Have to think Ariz State - in the #10 media market - has the SEC's attention.

Media markets don't matter. It's how many fans of ASU will watch them on TV?

Rutgers is in possibly the largest media markets in the country, but nobody wants to watch them on TV, so they're pretty much useless to the B1G. ISU is in Ames, IA, but a LOT more people will watch ISU on TV than will watch Rutgers.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Grant of rights and TV contracts are separate. They could add teams and renegotiate their exiting TV contract without affecting their current GOR. This is why they want to add ND…to move that needle.
Yes, but they already have X amount of ND games, and ESPN would have to be willing to open up their media rights. Only way would be to try to lock ND out of the big ten. NBC had most of ND games, when does their contract expire?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Big NO on this. Could backfire in a hurry of we duck around and those teams decide ACC is the better option. Bird in the hand…
I don't see any ACC teams we would want after the Big 10 and SEC take what they want. Maybe 1 or 2 but there isn't much there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Has the new Big 12 Commissioner resigned yet?
If Yormark isn’t working around the clock right now then **** that guy. Bob needs to be done outside of a little bit of consultation and connecting contacts. Bobby wasn’t built for this level of no holds bars.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, but they already have X amount of ND games, and ESPN would have to be willing to open up their media rights. Only way would be to try to lock ND out of the big ten. NBC had most of ND games, when does their contract expire?
Sure, but my original point is I don’t want to slow play anything wrt the P12 teams. Get what we can now, before something goes awry and we lose that opportunity. If there’s opportunity to add other teams down the road if the ACC implodes, which is more likely if we take away options now, then we can revisit those at that time.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

200.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
All bets are off at this point

We've entered Thunderdome.

Raid the PAC now. Raid the ACC is that's an option that opens up

Go to 50 teams if needed. This is college football's nuclear winter.

Think of building a league and moving away from a conference idea. It sucks. It all sucks, but it's life.
EnviousGoodChick-size_restricted.gif

• Love
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If Yormark isn’t working around the clock right now then **** that guy. Bob needs to be done outside of a little bit of consultation and connecting contacts. Bobby wasn’t built for this level of no holds bars.
?? Big Ten's Kevin Warren isn't thought of as the sharpest tool in the shed - maybe the negotiating acumen of the commish doesn't matter that much. It's what the conference can attract.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
?? Big Ten's Kevin Warren isn't thought of as the sharpest tool in the shed - maybe the negotiating acumen of the commish doesn't matter that much. It's what the conference can attract.
This literally makes no sense.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think the best move for the B12 is to either convince a handful of teams from the Pac 12 to join to ensure their place in the top 3, or for the B1G to grab Oregon or one of the other top teams.

Either of those moves I think will destabilize the PAC enough to force the issue. If the B1G doesn't grab Oregon or Washington during the chaos, then we can add them to the Big 12.

After that the ACC is a dead man walking.
If something definitive comes out where Big 10 is not taking Oregon, that puts the PAC on life support and they could try to offer a good deal to attract some Big 12 teams, but I think those chances are small.

It looks likely that Oregon is heading to the Big 10. It seems like the most likely and probably lowest risk, reasonably nice reward for ISU is UW gets left out while Oregon bolts. That essentially kills the PAC while leaving a good brand in UW open to the Big 12. UW and Utah are the two 100% takes, no questions asked. They boost the media value of the league. Maybe not much, but some.

After that it’s more about getting enough good schools together to be too big to be left out of a playoff. It isn’t about optimizing media dollars per team anymore. It’s about doing what helps you maintain playoff access. Because if your league and school get relegated to a lesser division without playoff access the bottom drops out of your media value anyway.

Let the SEC and Big 10 blow up the ACC and take the top couple each and make $100 m per team at 18-20 teams each. Take the best of the rest. If that results in a 20-24 team league making $30m, so be it. And if an 8 team playoff with 3 auto bids for each of the three, with 5 at large that pretty much all go to the SEC and big 10, so be it. Just don’t lose access to the playoff.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Why not be the aggressor and go after the best schools now in the ACC and PAC. Being proactive and not always reactive. Go get'um new commish!!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What do you know? I know you were BVD budies, so you dont know **** either.
I mean who needs a good negotiator when you’re not in a position of power to negotiate. Turdnado might be on to something. Hell maybe warren will throw us a bone and do it for us!

Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron