Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Personally, I hope we slow play the PAC a bit to see what happens with the ACC. Thinking Pittsburgh seems like a really good fit now with Cincinnati and WVa.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Look at the stadiums and attendance of big 12 teams…that alone is way diff than G5.

It’d be something new at the beginning, not UAB vs Ark state, but it could slowly whither away to that.

The strength of cfb is about 70-80 brands sprinkled throughout the nation. Big Ten and SEC are trying to destroy that strength to max out cash for a decade or two. In the long run the sport is not going to get MORE popular by having half as many alumni and less markets. It’ll implode for the same reason absolutely nobody watches minor league sports on tv. Reports will start to show loss of interest at a greater rate than every pro sport and it’ll be a college football recession.

Basketball might maintain its current interest if it keeps current wide open format and 100-150 programs remain competitive. If basketball formed a super league and separate playoff college hoops would go into recession even faster.
Thats why i think we will be ok in JV with 40-50 teams. Theres enough critical mass to support that even without the Bamas and Ohio States.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Personally, I hope we slow play the PAC a bit to see what happens with the ACC. Thinking Pittsburgh seems like a really good fit now with Cincinnati and WVa.
Why I want to just take ASU and utah (or whoever is the best besides ASU and wanting out). That forced the Oregon and Washington situation, kills the PAC, and gives us room to add incase the ACC blows up.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

All bets are off at this point

We've entered Thunderdome.

Raid the PAC now. Raid the ACC is that's an option that opens up

Go to 50 teams if needed. This is college football's nuclear winter.

Think of building a league and moving away from a conference idea. It sucks. It all sucks, but it's life.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Does the SEC want to be in just the two time zones? I wonder if they are thinking that they may want to get some teams for later games?
Good question. They may decide Eastern and Central is enough and may try to encourage enough schools in the ACC to defect to collapse the conference to get around the GOR and saturate the two time zones knowing the west coast doesn't really care about college sports and the closer geographically the schools creates more passion which is what college sports is all about.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Good question. They may decide Eastern and Central is enough and may try to encourage enough schools in the ACC to defect to collapse the conference to get around the GOR and saturate the two time zones knowing the west coast doesn't really care about college sports and the closer geographically the schools creates more passion which is what college sports is all about.
Yeah, they can always get teams like Mizzou and Arkansas (or their two new b!tches of OU and UT) to play 8 and 9 pm games which would be 6 and 7 pm games finishing around 10 on the west coast.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Big NO on this. Could backfire in a hurry of we duck around and those teams decide ACC is the better option. Bird in the hand…

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If the PAC and ACC dies, imagine the lucky ticket that the 4 new big XII members got. Went from G5 and jumped infront of many other teams.

The four teams we added fit “us” better than vandy, nw, Illinois, Indiana, UK, Purdue and Miss st fit what they are getting grandfathered into. BYU would make more sense for a breakaway pro league than about ten teams in the current b10/sec.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Big NO on this. Could backfire in a hurry of we duck around and those teams decide ACC is the better option. Bird in the hand…
ACC isn’t an option. They add teams and the GORs get broken, the big ten and SEC will be at their border then pillaging it and driving the value down. The big XII is the only option if the PAC loses anymore teams, at least for those that the big ten or SEC won’t take.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Gonna tell my kids this was the best SEC B1G game of all time.
hi-res-56525471_crop_north.jpg
I'm sure the SEC Network will show this game and boast an SEC national title. The same way the B1G does to Penn St and Nebraska when they won and not in the B1G at the time.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I think the best move for the B12 is to either convince a handful of teams from the Pac 12 to join to ensure their place in the top 3, or for the B1G to grab Oregon or one of the other top teams.

Either of those moves I think will destabilize the PAC enough to force the issue. If the B1G doesn't grab Oregon or Washington during the chaos, then we can add them to the Big 12.

After that the ACC is a dead man walking.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
ACC isn’t an option. They add teams and the GORs get broken, the big ten and SEC will be at their border then pillaging it and driving the value down. The big XII is the only option if the PAC loses anymore teams, at least for those that the big ten or SEC won’t take.
I’m not sure that’s true. They can renegotiate their TV contract, but I’m not sure the GOR of existing members gets automatically broken as a result. There are reports they are looking at adding teams.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Have to think Ariz State - in the #10 media market - has the SEC's attention.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m not sure that’s true. They can renegotiate their TV contract, but I’m not sure the GOR of existing members gets automatically broken as a result. There are reports they are looking at adding teams.
They would require the new schools to sign the same GORs most likely. I don’t think schools would agree to hunker down at those rates for that long. Who will move the needle for them to renegotiate the contract? If they are able to, it means ESPN wants them to survive, and do they want them to is the question.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
They would require the new schools to sign the same GORs most likely. I don’t think schools would agree to hunker down at those rates for that long. Who will move the needle for them to renegotiate the contract? If they are able to, it means ESPN wants them to survive, and do they want them to is the question.
Grant of rights and TV contracts are separate. They could add teams and renegotiate their exiting TV contract without affecting their current GOR. This is why they want to add ND…to move that needle.