Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There won't be a top 3 for power 5 teams, just a top two. Whoever can get into the SEC and Big 10 is the P5 league. Whatever league is left after that, the leftovers from the Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC will be regulated to what we now consider G5. Why would the SEC and Big want to share playoff spots and playoff money for a 3rd league? They wouldn't. This is angling towards those two setting things up to maximize the money involved in this whole thing.

Look at the stadiums and attendance of big 12 teams…that alone is way diff than G5.

It’d be something new at the beginning, not UAB vs Ark state, but it could slowly whither away to that.

The strength of cfb is about 70-80 brands sprinkled throughout the nation. Big Ten and SEC are trying to destroy that strength to max out cash for a decade or two. In the long run the sport is not going to get MORE popular by having half as many alumni and less markets. It’ll implode for the same reason absolutely nobody watches minor league sports on tv. Reports will start to show loss of interest at a greater rate than every pro sport and it’ll be a college football recession.

Basketball might maintain its current interest if it keeps current wide open format and 100-150 programs remain competitive. If basketball formed a super league and separate playoff college hoops would go into recession even faster.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That guy's tweet prior to that one said WVU has talked to the SEC and B1G. Delusions of grandeur.

That Is correct…but I’m guessing Pac would change its mind on BYU today and ACC will have a day when WVU looks great.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As long as the Big 12 has a seat at the table for the CFP.... I think you are absolutely correct.... ISU is probably in a better situation than Iowa (except for the instability, which is huge of course).

But ISU will have a much better chance of playing winning football in a conference without OU in it... which means ISU has a better chance of having a decent record year in and year out, fans will still be at games, and they would have a shot at winning their conference and making the CFP.

Iowa would risk having .500 seasons or worse, fans quit coming to games and forking out thousands of dollars, they would no longer have a chance at winning their conference or ever going to the CFP.

But the money and stability might just be worth all that?

If we get more wins in a weaker football conference just pretend SOS doesn’t matter.

It’s what every other crap conference does comparing themselves to superior Big 12 basketball for the past decade.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Forget about the Big 10 and the SEC. We were never going to get to that level. If the Big 12 comes out of this universally perceived as the 3rd strongest conference and essentially out survives the PAC and the ACC, then it is a win for the ages. For the last 12+ years all everyone has done is try and stack the deck against us...yet we are still here and the cherished PAC and ACC are about to be afterthoughts. Huge SATISFYING win assuming that is how it plays out.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Is there a point at which the ADs or university presidents admit this is all nuts and bad for their departments and schools and petition for a system we can all belong to that makes sense?

There is just no mechanism to make it happen.

As of now, conferences are dead. We are in the process of figuring out what's next.

They like the money too much, they may say they don’t like it but they would be ousted the second they attempted to get in the way of the cashflow

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
While I agree ISU's chances of getting either a Big 10 or SEC invite are minuscule, approaching zero in both cases, I actually think the SEC is ever so slightly higher.

In turf wars turf matters. Big 10 already (thinks) they own Iowa eyeballs and I know several ISU fans who watch them - though I don't. SEC moving into Big 10 territory would be an interesting move. And yes, Iowa fans watch ISU at a rate similar to the opposite so there are ISU and Iowa eyeballs available to keep viewing numbers decent, if not profitable.

Then there's the AAU issue. And Iowa is contiguous with the SEC since Missouri is right down there next door.

Basically, it's not a $$$ win so won't happen, but looking at the Big 10 vs SEC I think SEC is a higher percentage. Again both are literally zero percent so it's just a worthless point regardless.

• Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Forget about the Big 10 and the SEC. We were never going to get to that level. If the Big 12 comes out of this universally perceived as the 3rd strongest conference and essentially out survives the PAC and the ACC, then it is a win for the ages. For the last 12+ years all everyone has done is try and stack the deck against us...yet we are still here and the cherished PAC and ACC are about to be afterthoughts. Huge SATISFYING win assuming that is how it plays out.

Spot on IMO.

There are 69 (nice) Power Five teams if you count the new Big 12 additions. In this future with the B1G, SEC, and one other non-G5 league of major universities after the ACC gets cracked open, you are probably looking at a combined number in the 60s, and something less than 69. So, some schools are going to get demoted. If your league survives, you avoid the chance of being demoted.

It looks now as though Washington State and Oregon State are very, very close to turning that 69 into a 67. If the shoe were on the other foot and the Big 12 was going to be eaten, we would be worrying about the same thing.

So the Big 12 needs to act fast and decisively.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So let me get this straight.... currently the Big 12 is between the 3rd and 5th best conference in the country..... according to the media (like ESPN).... we're 5th at best.

If we can be the 3rd best conference in the country.... it's better than where we're at now IMO.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

willem-dafoe-explosion.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So let me get this straight.... currently the Big 12 is between the 3rd and 5th best conference in the country..... according to the media (like ESPN).... we're 5th at best.

If we can be the 3rd best conference in the country.... it's better than where we're at now IMO.
The defections have us looking as the weakest over the years. If we can eat a couple PAC12s and with those defections, the PAC looks the worst of the 5. If we can get our pay above the ACC, people will look at the big dogs there as wanting to leave which drops them to 4th. It’s there for the big XII to grab #3 and best of the non P2. We just have to navigate it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does the SEC want to be in just the two time zones? I wonder if they are thinking that they may want to get some teams for later games?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

We weathered the storm and are stronger than Pac after they had one cloudy day.

Genuine feels for WSU and Ore St though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Does the SEC want to be in just the two time zones? I wonder if they are thinking that they may want to get some teams for later games?

In a future where real eyes matter they have the real eyes and even more after they pick top 4 ACC choices. Big 12 will outlast Pac and ACC because our league had more genuine fan interest after the top few brands.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron