Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
We need to scan for ChatGPT posts in this thread. My god.
The Big 12 Conference, which is a collegiate athletic conference in the United States, could expand by four teams through a process of adding new member institutions. This would likely involve the Big 12 inviting new universities to join the conference, based on factors such as their athletic programs, financial resources, and geographic proximity. Once an invitation is extended and accepted, the new university would then become a full member of the Big 12, with full voting rights and access to all conference resources and benefits. The addition of four new teams would bring the total number of member institutions in the Big 12 to 16, which could potentially lead to changes in the conference's structure, such as the creation of new divisions or the scheduling of additional conference games.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Looks like Maryland was traded for Uconn.
20230204-155741.jpg

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Interesting that these additions are now needed BEFORE/CONCURRENT with the media deal. Amazon wants a bigger footprint but this would surely push the pro rata distribution down. I’m becoming convinced things are unraveling a bit.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...before-league-inks-new-media-rights-deal/amp/

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Interesting that these additions are now needed BEFORE/CONCURRENT with the media deal. Amazon wants a bigger footprint but this would surely push the pro rata distribution down. I’m becoming convinced things are unraveling a bit.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...before-league-inks-new-media-rights-deal/amp/

I also don't understand how SMU would be additive in a model "heavily reliant" on streaming. I've seen other articles that tout the Dallas/Ft. Worth market, but does market size really matter in a world that's going away from the cable tv model?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I also don't understand how SMU would be additive in a model "heavily reliant" on streaming. I've seen other articles that tout the Dallas/Ft. Worth market, but does market size really matter in a world that's going away from the cable tv model?
An early game

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I think as we move from a cable model to a streaming model, number of TV's is going to be less important, and fan bases will be more important (thus why the SEC and Big 10 are trying to gobble up brands). With streaming, you know how many people tuned in to watch the game and support those teams. SMU and SDSU don't really seem to have large fan bases.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I think as we move from a cable model to a streaming model, number of TV's is going to be less important, and fan bases will be more important (thus why the SEC and Big 10 are trying to gobble up brands). With streaming, you know how many people tuned in to watch the game and support those teams. SMU and SDSU don't really seem to have large fan bases.

I agree. To succeed in a streaming world, I'd think a school needs to either have a great on-field product that casual fans will tune into, or a large and passionate alumni base that will tune in no matter what. SMU has neither. This isn't the 80s...

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Maybe it is necessary to provide enough inventory for Amazon to be interested.

There is speculation that the Pac12 is still trying to create a media rights package that includes linear and streaming. If they only have 4 or 5 Pac games during the conference season. There isn't much inventory for Amazon if ESPN and maybe a Network are part of their media rights holders.

But it's hard to believe SMU & SDSU would not pull down the per school rights revenue unless those 2 schools would come on the cheap.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Maybe it is necessary to provide enough inventory for Amazon to be interested.

There is speculation that the Pac12 is still trying to create a media rights package that includes linear and streaming. If they only have 4 or 5 Pac games during the conference season. There isn't much inventory for Amazon if ESPN and maybe a Network are part of their media rights holders.

But it's hard to believe SMU & SDSU would not pull down the per school rights revenue unless those 2 schools would come on the cheap.
If they can't get a deal done without adding inventory then there isn't a per school evaluation to pull down.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I can't get over how the west coast snobs turned down their noses at the Big 12, but are now adding the leftover schools we didn't even want, and trying to spin it into some sort of gain over us.

Well, they have to spin it somehow. They can't come out and say "holy crap we are screwed!" even if they believe it in their hearts.

No way those 2 add value per school; it's totally a quantity/inventory/critical mass requirement.

And maybe if they agree to take reduced shares for a while, you can give the extra cash to UW/UO to keep them happy. That's unequal revenue sharing, but only at the expense of the new guys - maybe the Mountain 4 can live with unequal shares if it is framed that way.

Overall, it does really seem like they are grasping at every straw to keep it all alive. But one bad turn of events, and you will see a couple schools looking for a Big12 invite. It's just so unstable, it can't really stand, can it? Although, in fairness, everyone said the same about the Big12 for a long time...

Reactions: PickSix

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Its amazing how many people still talk about 'markets' in this day and age though. Especially people who haven't followed realignment all that much and are still parroting things from when the big 10 expanded, ignoring that they're a vastly different situation from everyone else due to their cable network carriage agreements.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron