Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Washington and Washington State might get tied together.

We don't want to see one school move to another conference and the other one left in a dwindling conference, so we're going to ensure both are left in the dwindling conference. Lol. Some of these people are so dumb it's almost not funny. Almost.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
We don't want to see one school move to another conference and the other one left in a dwindling conference, so we're going to ensure both are left in the dwindling conference. Lol. Some of these people are so dumb it's almost not funny. Almost.
To their point tho, the conference is a LOT less dwindling with UW there. At this point, UW being there (plus a small # of others) basically is their only way of survival

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
To their point tho, the conference is a LOT less dwindling with UW there. At this point, UW being there (plus a small # of others) basically is their only way of survival
I get that but, but if the B1G wants more expansion out west, what they're really doing is forcing the B1G to move on to a different PAC school, so instead of Washington and Oregon, now it's Stanford and Oregon, and the PAC is still equally screwed, only now both of their state schools go down the drain instead of just one.

Reactions: State2015

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I get that but, but if the B1G wants more expansion out west, what they're really doing is forcing the B1G to move on to a different PAC school, so instead of Washington and Oregon, now it's Stanford and Oregon, and the PAC is still equally screwed, only now both of their state schools go down the drain instead of just one.
Yep. They aren't sweetening Wazzu, they are poisoning UW.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I think the Big10 is fine for now. Their next target will be the ACC. Getting UNC, and Virginia/Virginia Tech/Duke/Georgia Tech would really excite the academics of the conference.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I think they have somewhat of a hedge. Say that the B1G passes on UW-Wazzu, the Pac 12 circles the drain, and the Big 12 is looking to get to 16. I think the Big 12 may take both in a package deal. So the Washington legislators cap UW’s upside but limit Wazzu’s downside. Maybe. All that said, the logistics of college sports has become stupid.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Not sure I agree entirely. I have only ESPN+ and find myself watching other games on that. BUT, I agree it's a 'diluted' offering which means fewer eyes. That said, I see that changing as more and more, ESPN pushes marquee games to it. The reasons for that are many. I was in publishing early on and learned magazines can get too large to sustain the advertising revenue necessary to cover the corresponding costs. I suspect 'broadcast' is the same. In other words, dicing up the bigger pie with more regionalized advertising and more focused advertising is probably a bigger dollar per eyeball. Just spitballing here, but guessing I'm right.

I have ESPN+ and YTTV so my on-screen guide doesn't include the ESPN+ stuff. I do go to ESPN+ occassionaly to look for something to watch but it is a secondary thought. Only when I can't find something on the main sports channels offered on YTTV. I wish the ESPN+ gamese were integrated with my on-screen guide but I get why they aren't or wouldn't be. Non-ISU and non-KU people with Hulu certainly could stumble onto the ISU v KU game easier than anyone else for sure. I have told the story before...I became an ISU fan one day while at my grandparents house and was "spinning" the dial on their TV and landed on a Barry Stevens/ISU game coached by Johnny Orr. Watched it...fell in love! Wouldn't likely happen today but technology/entertainment options and delivery servces evolve and we certainly have a lot more choice in what we watch than we used to!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have ESPN+ and YTTV so my on-screen guide doesn't include the ESPN+ stuff. I do go to ESPN+ occassionaly to look for something to watch but it is a secondary thought. Only when I can't find something on the main sports channels offered on YTTV. I wish the ESPN+ gamese were integrated with my on-screen guide but I get why they aren't or wouldn't be. Non-ISU and non-KU people with Hulu certainly could stumble onto the ISU v KU game easier than anyone else for sure. I have told the story before...I became an ISU fan one day while at my grandparents house and was "spinning" the dial on their TV and landed on a Barry Stevens/ISU game coached by Johnny Orr. Watched it...fell in love! Wouldn't likely happen today but technology/entertainment options and delivery servces evolve and we certainly have a lot more choice in what we watch than we used to!
It's the same with Hulu Live TV. You have to go to the home screen and then choose sports, then it'll bring ESPN+ up. But it's not on the live guide.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I think they have somewhat of a hedge. Say that the B1G passes on UW-Wazzu, the Pac 12 circles the drain, and the Big 12 is looking to get to 16. I think the Big 12 may take both in a package deal. So the Washington legislators cap UW’s upside but limit Wazzu’s downside. Maybe. All that said, the logistics of college sports has become stupid.
Agree, the primary purpose of the legislation is to prevent the destruction incurred from Wazzu going to the MWC.

Reactions: VeloClone

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Then after both have been in the Big12 for a while, keeping them together will lose importance like it did in Oklahoma with OSU/OU and UW will leave for the B1G. All people will talk about is how everyone wants to leave the Big12.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It is shown the clear difference is the SEC raises more talent locally and they keep that talent. SEC elite teams have more talent versus every other conference. It is Not the SEC and B1G versus everyone else.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I agree. While Washington is a prized add, the 4 corner schools make much more sense including logistically.

Logistically they might make sense but monetarily is what matters...does Washington (with is sister-school) bring more money than the 4 corners schools? If so...that is going to draw some attention. Not sure if they do or not though?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It is shown the clear difference is the SEC raises more talent locally and they keep that talent. SEC elite teams have more talent versus every other conference. It is Not the SEC and B1G versus everyone else.
Yeah the weather advantage is hard to beat. Another reason why they are so good at baseball.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I will turn on a Pac-10 game when it's late and I see a game is on when I'm scrolling through the channels. Zero chance this happens if I have to go to Prime and seek their games out. The rest of the country already doesn't care about West Coast college athletics in general. This isn't going to help.

Main reason I watched west coast games was Gonzaga or Oregon, or if Walton was calling the games. I assume theB1G will be the new "Conference of Champions"

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
politics tried keeping UCLA and Cal together. Oklahoma and Oklahoma state. Texas and Tech(or was it aTm?). I’m sure the list goes on, and it doesn’t matter. If Washington gets an offer to leave, and Washington state doesn’t… Washington is leaving and Washington state isn’t.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Logistically they might make sense but monetarily is what matters...does Washington (with is sister-school) bring more money than the 4 corners schools? If so...that is going to draw some attention. Not sure if they do or not though?
If the bill becomes a law, both schools could agree to let Washington jump from the B12 to the B10 (or of course, the law could be reversed after both schools get in the B12).

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Reactions: StLouisClone