USC Insider on FB coach search

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
On Dan Patrick this morning an USC beat writer on HC Clay Helton, " a mannequin would be better because it would do less damage than Clay Helton.".

When asked who he would have liked,"that is easy, Matt Campbell at Iowa State.Also, he would be cheaper than Urban Meyer".

• Informative
Reactions: kentkel

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
On Dan Patrick this morning an USC beat writer on HC Clay Helton, " a mannequin would be better because it would do less damage than Clay Helton.".

When asked who he would have liked,"that is easy, Matt Campbell at Iowa State.Also, he would be cheaper than Urban Meyer".

That would require Campbell returning their calls.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Looking at the way Helton has been treated is proof positive of why Campbell is smart to stay at Iowa State. Guy is 40-21 and 8-4 this season. He's taken USC to a Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl within the last 4 years. This is all coming off a bowl ban and scholarship reductions from the NCAA. Despite this everyone wants him fired.

8-4 here gets you a raise and extension.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That would require Campbell returning their calls.
Pretty sure he did and it went a little something like this:

tenor.gif

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This decision will set USC back a few years. Their current recruiting class only has 11 guys and is ranked 70th!!!!!!!! Good luck turning that class around this year and they will be several steps behind the competition for 2021 kids.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This reminds me of the year I asked Santa for a Nintendo. I knew that MF wasn't bringing me one but I still had to ask.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This decision will set USC back a few years. Their current recruiting class only has 11 guys and is ranked 70th!!!!!!!! Good luck turning that class around this year and they will be several steps behind the competition for 2021 kids.

It's going to really look bad if Chip gets UCLA going, which I think he will eventually. UCLA and Stanford being down is buying Helton some time.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not sure if this has been posted on any articles, but it seems to me that USC is holding back due to the competitive market for coaches this season?

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I think that coaches like Campbell do not want to go to schools that fire coaches--they appear to want to follow a retirement. I know that Campbell followed a fired coach, but he followed a coach who had been here for a long time.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I think that coaches like Campbell do not want to go to schools that fire coaches--they appear to want to follow a retirement. I know that Campbell followed a fired coach, but he followed a coach who had been here for a long time.

Campbell followed a coach that was in Ames for a long time. Pollard gave the previous coach an extra year or two too many. This might help Campbell's decision making too. Pollard will take the conservative approach on coaching decisions as we can see with McDermott too.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Not sure if this has been posted on any articles, but it seems to me that USC is holding back due to the competitive market for coaches this season?
That's been a sub-topic on many of the sports talking heads...even to the point of saying USC is holding on for another year in order to get Urban Meyer under their wings. Given that you have FSU, Missouri, Arkansas, etc, you figure that the competition will be keen. I think that you will see Missouri go aggressively after a coach in the mind set of Campbell...mid-major...40'ish...successful.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I agree and the coaching carousel gets more absurd every year.

Some of these ADs and programs are so stupid. I feel like the days of money-whipping guys are fading because these young talented coaches see the likelihood of staying beyond three years is just a crap-shoot. I'm sure the money is nice but you just start over in three or four years. Coaches like Gundy, Patterson, Ferentz and Fitzpatrick really got it right because at the end of their careers they'll be money ahead of guys like Kiffin or Herman who will bounce around with fits and starts of success.

I look at Kentucky and how patient they've been with Mark Stoops and how it's paid off. I'm not sure if Helton will pay off at SC or if Taggert would have at FSU but I'm pretty sure those ADs didn't ask for a five - six year plan. They should have. Unless you're totally driven by money it seems like a waste of time to take jobs like that.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Its seems to me that Campbell is cut from a way different cloth then most coaches. He seems to be more focused on actually building a program vs just chasing money. I think coach truly cares about being a players coach while being the best coach he can be. I think we as a fan base need to realize after this extension, he is gonna be here till he is finished with that build. I think it's awesome to finally have a coach that we can trust on his word. I think he also realizes that the grass isnt always greener and chasing money isnt the best and right thing to do.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's been a sub-topic on many of the sports talking heads...even to the point of saying USC is holding on for another year in order to get Urban Meyer under their wings. Given that you have FSU, Missouri, Arkansas, etc, you figure that the competition will be keen. I think that you will see Missouri go aggressively after a coach in the mind set of Campbell...mid-major...40'ish...successful.

Arkansas is screwed. Imagine trying to attract a coach when you are a bottom tier SEC West team competing against Bama, Auburn, and LSU.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Some of USC's best eras have been followed by NCAA discipline and sanctions. A big part of that fanbase is ready for another coach willing to play in the margins to come aboard and give them 5 more years of glory. After that, some poor unfortunate soul (like Helton) will have to clean up the mess.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It’s obvious with the Chris Petersen thing and now this that the PAC 12 is in a bad place right now narrative is pretty accurate.
I'm not super tuned in to the Pac...is Petersen pulling a phony retirement like Urban did at Florida?