US Open Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Playing at a classic course at Torrey Pines. Phil is the big story coming in but I don’t think he is in contention. Dechambeau is probably the favorite with the setup (skinny fairways, crazy tall rough). Morikawa is my “sleeper” pick. Rahm is the only non-major champion that I see with a chance.

• Agree
Reactions: Go2Guy

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Playing at a classic course at Torrey Pines. Phil is the big story coming in but I don’t think he is in contention. Dechambeau is probably the favorite with the setup (skinny fairways, crazy tall rough). Morikawa is my “sleeper” pick. Rahm is the only non-major champion that I see with a chance.

I definitely would not say Dechambeau is the favorite. Rough will be worse than winged foot last year and that doesn’t bode well for a guy who is like 171st in driving accuracy. The ones who will be in the fairway will be towards the top of the leaderboard.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I definitely would not say Dechambeau is the favorite. Rough will be worse than winged foot last year and that doesn’t bode well for a guy who is like 171st in driving accuracy. The ones who will be in the fairway will be towards the top of the leaderboard.

Accuracy isn’t the trick, distance is.

• Disagree
Reactions: ESciGuy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A drive of 300 into the fairway will almost always lead to a better score than a drive of 350 into deep rough. Unless he's really accurate this week, his scorecard is going to be all over the place.

Did no one watch what Bryson did last year at this tournament? Let’s say it’s a 475 par 4. Bryson is in the rough 115 yards away. Player B is in the fairway with 175 left. That is a HUGE advantage to Bryson. That’s why every expert is picking him to win or crying about how they need to change the US Open set ups because it’s a huge advantage for him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Did no one watch what Bryson did last year at this tournament? Let’s say it’s a 475 par 4. Bryson is in the rough 115 yards away. Player B is in the fairway with 175 left. That is a HUGE advantage to Bryson. That’s why every expert is picking him to win or crying about how they need to change the US Open set ups because it’s a huge advantage for him.

I did, but the fear that they needed to remake courses to deal with him was a bit premature. If you're playing out of the rough consistently, you need greens that are very receptive, or that have open fronts where you can run them on. I could be wrong, but that's not my impression of this course.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I did, but the fear that they needed to remake courses to deal with him was a bit premature. If you're playing out of the rough consistently, you need greens that are very receptive, or that have open fronts where you can run them on. I could be wrong, but that's not my impression of this course.

Not with a 56 degree wedge in his hand he doesn’t.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I like Patrick Reed’s chances this week. Won the Farmers Insurance at Torrey Pines. I know people hate him but it seems like he always plays decently well at majors.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Pulling for Brooks this week. I might have put a couple bucks on the boost from William Hill of him winning the US Open and France winning the Euros at +10000. Might have.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Golf (and horse racing), for me, is one of the hardest to pick a winner. So I go with who's trending / momentum. I'm usually never close.

Who's hot, likely winner: Cantalay, Rahm, Hovaland, Speith.

Contender: Bryson, DJ, JordanS

DarkHorse: Morikawa, Ancer

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

Certainly did. Torrey Pines will be thinner fairways and deeper rough, along with former greens. All this equates to more difficulty for Bryson if he’s in the rough consistently.

Another thing is that Bryson’s shorter wedge game and putting was amazing at winged foot. He has not been that guy since he won last year. He might put it together but it seems more likely that he won’t.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Certainly did. Torrey Pines will be thinner fairways and deeper rough, along with former greens. All this equates to more difficulty for Bryson if he’s in the rough consistently.

Another thing is that Bryson’s shorter wedge game and putting was amazing at winged foot. He has not been that guy since he won last year. He might put it together but it seems more likely that he won’t.

Airmailing greens is fun!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Wrong. Smaller fairways mean more people miss and when more people miss, distance is the advantage. Thick rough isn't the answer. The answer is firm, fast courses with rough that creates inconsistent lies that are unpredictable.

They did this 20 years ago with Tiger. Make it longer, narrower, with thicker rough and you play into the hands of distance.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wrong. Smaller fairways mean more people miss and when more people miss, distance is the advantage. Thick rough isn't the answer. The answer is firm, fast courses with rough that creates inconsistent lies that are unpredictable.

They did this 20 years ago with Tiger. Make it longer, narrower, with thicker rough and you play into the hands of distance.

Thank you. I didnt know if I wasn’t getting the message through or if people just don’t understand golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron