US Marshals Arrest KSU's Wainright

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I know many of you are not interested. But I'll keep the rest of you posted as to what's going on with Wainright. I still find it perplexing.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Have to wonder why in the world these things happen to youngsters. In college. Playing big-time hoops. Adored by fans. Free education. Free housing. Free food. Free gear. Open gym. Free travel - first class. Nice hotels. And then put yourself in this kind of bind. It's mind-numbing how stupid some of these athletes can be. The allure must be overwhelming. I don't get it. But I'm just an old dude.
I am making an assumption about Wainright in this situation, but there is a pretty large sample size of young men who appear to make it out of the hood who get pulled back in. In some cases it is for popularity. In other situations it is the feeling of being responsible for friends and family due to the individual rising up and out. My personal guess is that it is a difference in culture. You may be just an old dude, but can you empathize with a kid who had a wholly different upbringing than you? I am not excusing the action here, but to think this kind of thing is happening in a vacuum is a little dismissive.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
From all indications, Wainright has a very strong family background. This was not a youngster raised in hell pulled out because of his hoops skills. That's what makes it somewhat surprising to me that he's in trouble now. We'll have to see how this ends before casting too many stones at him. It's odd circumstances to say the least and on many levels.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
From all indications, Wainright has a very strong family background. This was not a youngster raised in hell pulled out because of his hoops skills. That's what makes it somewhat surprising to me that he's in trouble now. We'll have to see how this ends before casting too many stones at him. It's odd circumstances to say the least and on many levels.
He was taken into custody by the us marshalls. FYI not normal. There is more to this.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

You're reaching Baylor level ignorance with your defending of Wainrights character here. Good for you...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sometimes people make stupid mistakes, and do stupid sh*t. This is one of those cases. Shooting at people isn't a good decision no matter how you slice it. (Well maybe ok if shot at first.)

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Sometimes people make stupid mistakes, and do stupid sh*t. This is one of those cases. Shooting at people isn't a good decision no matter how you slice it. (Well maybe ok if shot at first.)

Lol mistake. Oops, I'm sorry I shot at you. My bad.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It was a road rage incident. Road rage is not a mistake, it's a behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan93

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Im shocked @surly isn't breaking this news for us all.

There was a road rage shooting in Overland Park back in January that Wainright's car was linked to... http://www.kctv5.com/story/37432138...be-linked-to-overland-park-road-rage-shooting

Today, he's arrested by US Marshals... https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/us-marshals-arrest-k-state-basketball-player

Not sure if there is a connection between the two stories, but one could assume.
Surly only rushes out to post good things about K-State or bad things about Kansas.

• Agree
Reactions: Raider and GTO

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
"Your only as smart as your dumbest friend" is the rule for any group of males between the ages of 5-30. The dumbest guy in your group inevitably coaxes the rest of the group into dumb behavior.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I've not defended Wainright. I understand the need for Ku fans and others to say that, but it's not true. I have only said he comes from a good family, he seemed like a good kid, the circumstances are strange, and, more generally, that he'll have to deal with the consequences. I doubt he plays another minute of Big12 hoops.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Welp, that didn't take long.

Following his arrest just 10 days ago, Wainright announced Friday afternoon on Twitter that he had received his scholarship release and would be looking to continue his basketball career at a new school.

"Just wanna (say) thank you to all my K-State family who supported me through this process and all my family and friends back in KC," Wainright wrote in a tweet. "I appreciate it all. I have my release and (am) looking to continue my career elsewhere thank you." 247 Sports

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
JOHNSON COUNTY, KS (KCTV) -

Former Kansas State basketball player Amaad Wainright has accepted a plea bargain after being involved in a January road rage shooting in Overland Park.

On Tuesday, while standing in front of a Johnson County judge, Wainright pleaded guilty to felony obstructing apprehension and aiding a felon in exchange for a fleeing from law enforcement charge being dropped.

The incident happened Jan. 17, when a man from Overland Park says he got into an aggressive exchange while driving along Interstate 435 between State Line Road and Roe Avenue. He says a passenger in the other vehicle opened the door, held up a gun and fired a bullet at the back door.

No one in either vehicle was hurt during the incident.

While police investigated the incident it was discovered that the car belonged to Wainright and that he was driving at the time.

Following the incident, Kansas State dismissed Wainright from the basketball team.

Wainright is scheduled to be sentenced on Oct. 24.
hdr_branding.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron